Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Help, need electric info

I have worn out the search button and had no results. It must be me. I know that several of you guys have added a 110 outlet in the basement. Do I need to put in another breaker and try to thread wire to the basement? Maybe 110 is closer than I thought. Install juction box. Any ideas and I will be very thankful.

Thanks

Dick

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We have 110 available on the other side of the rear basement wall panel. It's removeable to get to the water heater, furnace, pump and converter. The converter is plugged into a standard electrical receptcle.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am not familiar with your model, maybe Skip is, but mine has an outlet by the stairs you can attach to, then run it to an outlet down there. It would be best to install a breaker, or use a circuit that has unused power, run 12-2 With Gnd wire and a 20 amp duplex receptacle on a 20 amp breaker if you install, or use one.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I added an outlet in the bathroom...Mrs needed a night lite! Used existing circuit added junction box from under TV/Entertainment center...used 14-2 and standard RV type outlet due to limited wall cavity between bathroom and wash/dryer closet. Staggering to bathroom in middle of the night is much easier now.
BTW, discovered my bathroom light (12vdc) was connected to hallway lite and switch was on outside this was just not right, rewired and added switch in bathroom, now can operate hallway lite independantly of bathroom lite!
Chuck-n-Linda
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It all depends on how your model is laid out and wired. In our '05 3670RL it is fairly easy because the main panel is just on the other side of the divider wall to the basement. In our case, I relocated the basement 12 volt lights to the ceiling, and put 110 volt outlets in the space where the lights used to be. Unless you are planning on using it for a high current appliance, you can probably just tap into whatever 110 volt circuit you can find, either at the breaker panel, an existing outlet box, or by installing a new junction box. I'm afraid it is probably something you just have to research on your own model, and figure out how best to do it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:30 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I grabbed power from the receptacle in the W/D closet and dropped the wire into the storage compartment. I also added a second one in the front storage area near the hydraulic pump. I made the first receptacle a GFCI to protect the user since it is in a potentially wet area.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:41 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Dick, we have the same model as you and Bill is going to attach one to the washer/dryer outlet. He has not completed it yet though. Heard that just had knee surgery. We hope you are recovering nicely

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Since we have the combo washer/dryer this leaves one of the outlets open. We placed a power strip in the basement and ran the cord up to the open outlet in the w/d closet. This can be done without any knowledge of electricity and can be unplugged and the outlet used for something else if needed.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Since we have the combo washer/dryer this leaves one of the outlets open. We placed a power strip in the basement and ran the cord up to the open outlet in the w/d closet. This can be done without any knowledge of electricity and can be unplugged and the outlet used for something else if needed.
Happy trails.......................
Good idea, I'm going to do that!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
As NJ Hillbilly mentioned,

Any outlets that can be accessed while the user is in contact with a wet surface, or the outside ground, should protect themselves and the circuit with a GFCI outlet. This is a National Electrical Code requirement - that even the trailer manufacturers adhere to.

Better safe than sorry.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote