Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
DVD Disk

I know this has nothing to do with RV's but I know some body out there can give me a correct answer to this.
we bought 100 pack of dvd disk for (XX $$) now before I open them I need this question answered first .
1. what is the differance between the two different ID numbers (DVD+R and DVD-R) Costco had a special buy 1, 100 count pack and get one free, I got one of each so, I can take the wrong one back instead of carring 2 packs.

Thank you.

TT2

Old 01-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
From what I can gather, The +R will only work in +R machines to record and the same for -R it will only work in -R machines.

They are two different ways to do the same thing
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by houseof many dogs

From what I can gather, The +R will only work in +R machines to record and the same for -R it will only work in -R machines.

They are two different ways to do the same thing
So how do I find out which DVD ? R I have?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Check out this link
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
I still don't understand it all
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
-R's (called "dash R's") are generally accepted in more machines (DVD machines you buy at an electronics store) than plus R's.

To find out what your writable DVD drive in your computer is, right click on My Computer, left click on properties, left click on the Hardware tab, left click on Device Manager, double left click on DVD/CD-ROM drives, right click on your DVD drive and left click on Properties...Whew! Once you have the name of your DVD drive, copy this information down and then open up your Internet Explorer or other browser and search for the info you wrote down. You'll probably get a list that intuitively will give you the manufacturer and model type and this will give you your answer as to whether you have a DVD-, DVD+ or DVD+-.

If you have a fairly new computer, you will probably have a DVD+- (both). If you have a fairly new DVD player, the one hooked up to your TV, then I would try the DVD- media, as it is generally more accepted. But, then I could be wrong...Different people have different mileage.

If you don't want to use 99 DVD+'s as coasters, then buy a single or 5 pack of each kind and just try them.

Sorry for the convoluted answer, but M$ (Microsoft) likes to make things difficult, despite their millions in advertising touting the opposite.

FYI, I have been involved in computers since 1978.

Michael
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don
On the door of your DVD drive on your computer it should say. Mine does it says DVD +-RW with the plus over the dash. I use the + as it plays in several of the players I have on my computer. Actually I use the + RW in case you screw up you can erase and use it again. I have a Sony (VAIO) multi media computer. It depends also on what you are planning on doing. If you are going to play the DVD only on your computer or you want to play it on your DVD. + is usually faster on the burn. Also - is usually only video and + is music, data and video (at least that is the way it was a couple of months ago. Great strides are being made in this field. When I first started this DVD thing, they were very expensive just like blank CD's were in the beginning. Now both are relatively inexpensive.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thank you all for the wonderful help, I'll try what sfnexpress wrote. Parrothead I opened my drive and there was nothing on the dvd drawer all plastic just molding numbers.
I think I'll just stick one in my computer and see if I can put pictures on them.

TT2
Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don
It is on the front of the drawer. It is real small so you have to look hard. If you have a desktop on the floor, you may have to get down on the floor (oh, those creaky bones) to see the writing. All of my computers say something on the front of the drawer. Look at it when it is closed.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Sometimes to best ways to learn what your dvd tray can do is run a few tests. Good luck.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:19 AM   #10
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
DVD-R means you can record something on it, but not erase and rewrite. DVD-RW means you can erase and rewrite. I think, or that is how it was explained to me.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:07 AM   #11
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
A short explanation of the DVD Formats

DVD-R:
The -R format is older than the +R format, therefore more DVD players are compatible with the -R format. A DVD-R can be written to once and is compatible with about 90% of DVD players on the market.

DVD+R:
The +R format is newer than the -R format. Access time is a bit faster, however fewer DVD players are compatible with the +R format. A DVD+R can be written to once and is compatible with about 80% of DVD players on the market

What really matters is: What format does your DVD Burner, and your DVD Player(s) support? Most Burners, and Players on the market today support BOTH Formats. I use a Burner which is capable of either format, but my DVD players (5 Apex Models, and 1 XBOX 360), seem to play the + Format better, so that is the format that I use.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:50 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just to second the observations of JP, Parrothead, and snexpress. Nothing to add except my experence going all the way back to the HP-100 in the PLUS camp. All of my DVD writers are now DUAL meaning they will use either + or -, and either R (Record only) or RW (ReWrite).

What this means is that it is hard to go wrong in todays environment. Most computer DVD writers will use either medium, and most DVD players will handle recorded disks made in either format.

Parrothead has a wise observation: try out a few disks on your own equipment. Seems like TT2 had the right idea in the first place: I got one of each so, I can take the wrong one back instead of carring 2 packs.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:48 PM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Your book that came with the player should say which CDs work in it.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote