Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Upgrade to Hydraulic Disk brakes??

How may have thought or better yet upgraded their drum brakes to Disk?

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Had thought seriously about it last year about this time. However, when I checked out prices (vs actual usage of the 5er), decided to wait. If you are going to keep 5er for awhile (or do a lot of mountain towing) I don't know that you can justify the cost of the upgrade. Now, ordering with it installed, -- by all means a best of all worlds deal.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have thought about it. The Mor-ryde seminar at the 1st Goshen Rally touched on them. It is not as simple as just swapping brakes, as I recall, you ended up having to change the whole axle, and add a brake control and hydraulic pump to interface between the electic coming from the truck to the hydraulic system on the trailer. Still would be nice to have, but so far we have not ventured into really mountainous terrain, so we will stick with what we've got for now. I think it was a few thousand dollars in total. On thinking about it again just now, I think I would prefer to go that route, rather than tinker with the truck by adding an exhaust brake, (but I am sure there are others who will disagree - and I could change my mind with further research). I am pretty sure that Gypsy had them put on her trailer.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The only camper in the Montana prices range that I know of that offers the Mor-ryde suspension as a option is the Cardinal by Forest river and at a reasonable price. Always wondered why Keystone did not offer that option??? We actually came really close to ordering a Cardinal with that option.Mor-ryde pinbox and suspension for near the same price as what we could get the 3670 for.We opted for a Keystone product because of the customer service..Now since the 3670 is discontinued that may have been a bad move...Oh well.......
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have the exhaust brake and still want the Disk brakes. I feel the current brakes are lacking in responce during an emergency stop. The exhaust brakes is used to hold you back coming down a hill and assit in slowing you down. The brakes need to stop you "now" and the now is dependent on their preformance. I saw an artical a year or so ago on installing them on trailers and want to reread it if I can find it.
Thanks.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
As I recall the Mor ryde seminar, they were offering a package including 4 wheel INDEPENDENT suspension + disk brakes for something less than $3000 installed. Had I kept the Montana I would have done that upgrade. There are people on this forum that were having it done. There were others at the rally who had the package already done and were chiding Keystone for not including disk brakes on the Cambridge.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #7
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
OntMont is right - I had Mor-Ryde install the Independent Suspension (IS) system, hydraulic disc brakes and NevR-Lube hubs after I bought my 3670 last year. I love the brakes and can vary the setting for boost depending on the grades I'm descending. I drive in mountains in the west a fair amount, so it's great to know I can stop. That's worth almost any amount of money. I don't have an exhaust brake on the truck and don't feel the need for it.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
I found the article in Trailer Life Feb 05 "Improved STOPPING Performance" page 57.
What caught me was the statement, "We performed the second set of tests after the rig had made a couple of trips, the pads fully seated and the rotors worn in and paint-free. At the same testing surface we recorded 60-0 MPH stopping distances of a little longer than 200 feet, only a few feet longer than the truck solo (193 feet), and a major improvement than the drum test 350 feet. That translates to an additional second of warning time at 60 MPH." I para phrased it just a little. This artical evaluated the Tow Brake International, LTD.
Thanks.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
Montana_1988
Established Member

M.O.C. #1988
H. John Kohl,
I installed the HD3000 on my Big Sky. Believe me it will stop. Do a search on my name and you'll see the comments I've already written. I took it on a trip from Washington down to Northern California. You will find yourself just tapping the brakes to slow down or stop.

Dale

Montana_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:56 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
John,
If you've got the $$$ laying around then by all means get them installed. Or better yet install them yourself. I think anyone with a good basic mechanical background would have no trouble doing it yourself. It doesn't have to be MorRyde. There are several outfits out there that will sell you the parts. If I had the $$$ I'd do it. Actually I may go ahead and do it anyway. My brother is very good at this sort of thing and would have no trouble at all. I REALLY would like to have a better braking system.

Good luck. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, that would be almost TWO seconds more warning time! 60 mph is 88 feet per second. (350-200)/88 = 1.705 seconds. That's very impressive.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:57 PM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Notsdale

I installed the HD3000 on my Big Sky.
Dale,
Did you install them yourself? If so, did you retain the same hubs and bearings, or does everything get changed? I am giving it some serious thought, and have contacted Tow Brake International for more info. Any tips you care to pass along would be most welcome.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote