Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2023, 04:36 PM   #1
CampingKim

M.O.C. #32885
Aspiring Working Snowbirds

My husband and I just bought a 2021 Montana High Country 37 FLL and are excited about spending some time in Florida over the winter (we live in Cincinnati, OH). Neither of us are retired however, so we will be working full-time during the week. We are starting to research campgrounds but don't really know what to be looking for other than full hookups and Wi-Fi. Our biggest concern is boredom during the week since we won't have any friends to socialize with and don't plan to eat dinner out every night. Part of me thinks that if we're going to be just working and then cooking dinner and then just watching TV, why would we spend the time in Florida when we could do that anywhere?

For those of you who spend winters away and also work, what tips can you give us for how to find a campground and get started with this new lifestyle? I know there are lots of resorts with activities but those will likely have to be saved for next year since the ones I've seen are all sold out for this winter. We don't know what we don't know so any and all advice is appreciated. Help us learn. TYIA!!

CampingKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 05:42 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My wife and I are not full timers, but we full time in our camper, meaning we have our stick n brick home, but use our camper 24x7 all year round, even at home.

We travel long term. Currently, I am serving as a camp host at a state park in North Carolina for 2 months. It's all volunteer in exchange for a full hook up campsite.

We travel extensively, spending a couple weeks here, a couple weeks there, a few days here, an over night there. We are not stationary in one place long term.

I retired a year and a half ago. Before that my wife and I both worked full time remote for our respective companies in computer Information Technology code development. Primary for us was cell phone reception so our phones worked as hot spots for our computers. We never, ever depended on campground wifi. Campground wifi is never reliable, and it's never, ever, ever a secured network. For both of our companies, they required a secure network to work remote. That mean supplying our own internet connection. This was always our biggest challenge, making sure wherever we camped at, we had good phone service. We turned down many, many locations because of this.

If you are also working remotely, you are best to secure your own wifi system, phone cell, Starlink, AT&T, Verizon, Visible, T-Mobile, any avenue like this for reliability AND security. Surely, no matter what company you are working for will want you to be connected a secure network. And really, this is the only way you should do it when working remote.

Just for an FYI, my wife is still working full time a bit longer, remote and I'm retired, thus enabling me to work as a camp host. (A dream I've always wanted to do).

About socializing. RVing is a transient lifestyle, even if you are locked into a seasonal campground, people came and go. It's like water flowing in a stream, someone is always coming, someone is always going. You are also always coming and always going to. You are not at a forever location. The people you meet are often times a one-time, one moment association. Most of the time, it goes no deeper than that. If you do develop a friendship that sticks, the connection is often held together because of social media, like Facebook, and occasionally your paths cross again. When that happens, it's a happy moment and fun sharing experiences from the last time you were together.

About day-to-day humdrum? It's pretty much exactly like a stick n brick home situation. It really IS a matter of what YOU make of it. You can be a couch potato and sit in front of the television all day and do nothing. Or you can find activities in the location you are at and for a moment, get involved.

Again, if you are depending on the campground to provide a grocery list of activities, that is probably a myth too. Activities are very taxing on campground management, especially private campgrounds. Some are better at it than others. The activities may not fit you specific likes. They may offer a movie night on the lawn, and you find out is a movie perfect for first-graders.

Depending on the campground, they may have organized activities, like Sunday morning worship services where they have an extension church service of a local church. Or may have a Saturday night band or music group come in. It all depends on the ability of the campground to provide these things.

So, as far as your personal entertainment, here again, you provide your own. Hiking, bicycle riding, bowling, museums, swimming, sporting events, local orginizations that are National, like the American Legion, Shriners, VFW, denominational churches that are across the country you can fellowship with. YOU have to make your way, you have to seek out our activities just like anywhere.

One more thing, as far as Florida? Florida is nice if that's where you want to hang out. But don't forget about the Florida Pan Handle area. Don't forget about Alabama (especially the Gulf Shores area). Don't forget about Georgia, South Carolina, Southern Virginia, Texas, and Louisiana as possible long term winter destinations. And you will find, working this late in the year, you are more likely to find a really nice, good, and reasonable priced seasonal site away from the tourist areas, and more in-land, rather than along the Gulf waters or the Atlantic seaboards.

There are thousands of possible campsite locations other than Florida that are equally as rewarding and no danger of Hurricanes either.

Full timing is what you make of it. Like everything in life, you have to pursue it and pursue your own interests. There's no magic button.

Check out Cullman Campground, Cullman Alabama...
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:51 AM   #3
CampingKim

M.O.C. #32885
Thanks for this excellent information! I so appreciate hearing from you!

All very good points. We had a 28' TT before upgrading to our 5th wheel and we vacationed with it extensively for 17 years. However those were actual vacations so we were spending our days out doing vacation stuff.

Thanks for the heads up about campground WiFi. Since we were not working during our previous travels, Wifi was important but not a necessity. That's a mistake we can't afford to make. I have just started using RVLife Pro for campground reviews and I will focus on phone service over WiFi.

For this year, since it's our first attempt at this, we do want to stay in Florida. My MIL lives there and we have some friends who retired to the same area a few years ago. We look forward to visiting them both.

Thank you again for sharing your wisdom and experience with us.
CampingKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:28 AM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Kim,

Take it a day or week at a time. Look at a lot of places. FL is a great place but I would also consider the west.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote