Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #21
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
I did it all by myself in our driveway, got lucky, & no damage to the Montana. Truck was not so lucky 5G damage to the tailgate & bed.
John

Old 06-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #22
maxjr758
Established Member

M.O.C. #18468
I went thru Schneider truck driver school in 1990 after getting out of the Navy. They pounded it. Into our brains to visually check the King Pin Latch! Each and every time we hooked up ! First thing I did when I got our 5th wheel was put a good flashlight in the cab to aid in checking my "King Pin Latch" ! I'm thinking the tech who did our walk through at ("Never Again", Campers Inn ) in Mocksville,NC told us the Reese 16K hitch they put on my F-350 had a "Catch built in? Anyone heard of this ?
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:14 AM   #23
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
I've waited to weigh in on this because I'm not looking for a jinx. I don't know how the Reese hitch works, but my Curt 20 cannot be latched if the pin is not fully engaged and the jaws are closed. My routine - hitch and then three things: Safety latch, safety cable, electric plug in. If I get interrupted in that routine I start over.
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #24
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
It is a gut pushing feeling. This happened to me a month ago. I had a B & W Hitch and I backed into the hitch and the lever came over and the lever closed and I put the pin in it. I hooked up the rest and looked at the jaws and the right jaw looked good and did not take a close enough look at the left jaw because it must have not been in all of the way. I won't make that mistake again. I double check everything twice now and do the tug test. I am going to check into the Blue Ox Bed Saver. I am surprised that the lever would close all of the way if a jaw is hung up. My truck goes into the body shop Monday and 8K in damages. Trailer had a small scratch that they are also going to fix. It kind of spoiled the nice Memorial Day Weekend.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:37 AM   #25
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Don't know who told me about the pull or tug test but I have been a faithful user for over 10 years. Always works for me. I had a tech at the local RV store watch me hook up after the bearings were serviced. I checked all the lug nuts with my torque wrench then hooked up with a pull test. He came out and told me he seldom sees anyone do that! I can only guess at the business they get from RVers who cannot make it out of their parking lot with their rigs attached.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #26
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambam

...When I read on this forum that there are 2 types of campers, those that have dropped their 5th wheel and those that will...
I don't buy that. Like saying there are two kinds of pilots, those that have landed gear up and those that will.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #27
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Except airplanes have ground warning systems. Let's you know your gear is up. No warning system on a 5th wheel. I just don't understand why people will try to talk people out of a pasave safety system. That's like, lets disabled the air bags because I am a very good driver. JMHO
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #28
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waynemoore

Except airplanes have ground warning systems. Let's you know your gear is up. No warning system on a 5th wheel. I just don't understand why people will try to talk people out of a pasave safety system. That's like, lets disabled the air bags because I am a very good driver. JMHO
Excellent point!!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #29
CWSWine
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18254
I have a B&W and have red reflective tape on both jaws so when I look from the back it easy to check the both jaws are closed.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #30
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
I do a tug test using the trailer brakes and landing gear down. I would prefer do it with the landing gear one inch off the ground. With the Lippert 6 point leveling system you can't do that. Driver side retracts all the way then the passenger side starts. Is there a way to get the landing gear to operate in unison ? I know I could just retract the driver side then retract the passenger side one inch then put a stack of leveling blocks under the driver side.

By the way, the red reflective tape idea sounds great. I will incorporate that on my hitch.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #31
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When I hookup, I have already raised the rear jacks, and I adjust the pin box so it rides up the hitch plate, which takes quite a bit of weight off the front jacks. I then do the tug test, and the jack plates will slide a little bit but has caused no issues. By ramping up the plate, I have never high hitched, so the pin has always been fully wrapped and fully closed. I then get out, attach the safety cable, still do a visual of the jaws, and then close the tailgate of the truck, and then finally raise the front jacks. The reason the left jack comes up first is because it's closer to the pump, the same reason when using the rear button to raise all the rear jacks, the left ones there also come up first.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:23 AM   #32
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. That had to be a bad feeling.
I too have a B&W hitch and am under the impression that the lever will not close all the way and latch if the jaws are not closed completely. What model is your hitch?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jimmer

It is a gut pushing feeling. This happened to me a month ago. I had a B & W Hitch and I backed into the hitch and the lever came over and the lever closed and I put the pin in it. I hooked up the rest and looked at the jaws and the right jaw looked good and did not take a close enough look at the left jaw because it must have not been in all of the way. I won't make that mistake again. I double check everything twice now and do the tug test. I am going to check into the Blue Ox Bed Saver. I am surprised that the lever would close all of the way if a jaw is hung up. My truck goes into the body shop Monday and 8K in damages. Trailer had a small scratch that they are also going to fix. It kind of spoiled the nice Memorial Day Weekend.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #33
ckwizard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14704
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

When I hookup, I have already raised the rear jacks, and I adjust the pin box so it rides up the hitch plate, which takes quite a bit of weight off the front jacks. I then do the tug test, and the jack plates will slide a little bit but has caused no issues. By ramping up the plate, I have never high hitched, so the pin has always been fully wrapped and fully closed. I then get out, attach the safety cable, still do a visual of the jaws, and then close the tailgate of the truck, and then finally raise the front jacks. The reason the left jack comes up first is because it's closer to the pump, the same reason when using the rear button to raise all the rear jacks, the left ones there also come up first.
This is exactly what I do with my Pullrite hitch, Works great and never a problem.
ckwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839

Simple Definition of accident

: a sudden event (such as a crash) that is not planned or intended and that causes damage or injury

: an event that is not planned or intended : an event that occurs by chance

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:22 AM   #35
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
[quote]Originally posted by JABURKHOLDER

I do a tug test using the trailer brakes and landing gear down. I would prefer do it with the landing gear one off the ground. With the Lippert 6 point leveling system you can't do that. Driver side retracts all the way then the passenger side starts. Is there a way to get the landing gear to operate in unison ? I know I could just retract the driver side then retract the passenger side one inch then put a stack of leveling blocks under the driver side.

We have the Lippert six point system. We do the tug test as well. Regarding the "off the ground part", we have the same situation, but it's not a problem. As you raise the gear, you'll notice the one gear start to come off the ground. At that point, there isn't much pressure on the other one, so you could do the tug test then. They "cross-equalize" in pressure, but one will always have a little more resistance to moving, so it will stay put longer. Sometimes I have raised the other one up until the slow one moves, then lower the other one down again to just short of the ground.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #36
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Just another reason I love my Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch! Ya just can't do that!
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #37
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
whatever your system, just make sure its latched....no one should just back up and then drive off. and I agree with the others that go in and let the pin ride up the hitch, it pretty much eliminates the possibility of high pinning. I was taught that, all the people I camp with do it that way, and usually always locks in nice and tight.
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:13 AM   #38
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Anderson or not it can still happen. No mechanical device is foolproof. We all have things happen when hooking up or driving. I droped mine when trying to move the rig when having a building build to house it. DW, a friend and the two installers talking to me and yep pulled out and droped the rig right into the Blue Ox. No damage except my pride, re-hooked up and moved the rig. We all have accidents just like the time I drove my 13'3" Montana under a 12'8" bridge. Now that one dose not look good on my resume DW keeps track of that kind of stuff. What I am saying is things happen we get distracted, or our mind is on a family problem or we are trying to move out of the way of a storm or fire. Whatever it may be and s---t happens. Pasave safety systems are the best defense against ourselves. JMHO
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #39
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waynemoore

Anderson or not it can still happen. No mechanical device is foolproof. We all have things happen when hooking up or driving. I droped mine when trying to move the rig when having a building build to house it. DW, a friend and the two installers talking to me and yep pulled out and droped the rig right into the Blue Ox. No damage except my pride, re-hooked up and moved the rig. We all have accidents just like the time I drove my 13'3" Montana under a 12'8" bridge. Now that one dose not look good on my resume DW keeps track of that kind of stuff. What I am saying is things happen we get distracted, or our mind is on a family problem or we are trying to move out of the way of a storm or fire. Whatever it may be and s---t happens. Pasave safety systems are the best defense against ourselves. JMHO
The only way it could happen on my Andersen is for
A: The ball to break totally off my hitch as I drive away. (That isn't going to happen!)
or
B: The Lippert Level-up system would have to literally drop my trailer suddenly as I drive out from under the pin. (That isn't ever going to happen either. Hydraulic rams don't drop trailers)
I have to raise my trailer up off the ball using the front rams of the Level-Up system to be able to pull away from it or back into it. I physically can't move my truck from under the trailer without first putting the feet on the ground and lifting it up off the ball. It simply can't and won't drop with the front hydraulic rams on the ground. If I don't do that first, I'm just simply towing my trailer if I try moving the truck.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #40
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Mark-N, I looked a the Anderson hitch and must partly agree with you. My problem with it is it limits your ability to tow anything but your own rig. However if your truck is for some reason disabled I would assume you could remove the attachment at the pin and it could be towed by a standard hitch? I live in Lave Havasu City Az a very big boating lake, at least 2 or 3 times a year we read about large 35 foot+ boats braking loose from trucks. I see campers and utility trailers off the side of the road that got away from the tow vehicle. But we all have our ideas of what we like and how we do things. My point was for me I want a pasive safety system. I know my short commings (very impatient) so I like to idiot prof whatever I can. JMHO
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.