Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Satellite Portable TV Antena

I have a 2011 Big Sky 3580RL. The TV has been screwed up since day one. I have put a Direct TV receiver in the RV and have been using a manual dish that is a bugger to get set up. I am thinking about getting a Winegard Carryout Portable Automatic Satellite Antenna Mfg # RP-GM-1518 with a Winegard Carryout Tripod Mount Mfg # TR-1518 along with a 110V to 12V Power Converter. How automatic are these units and are they worth the money. I understand the long cable is to allow for setting up away from trees if possible. Any information about this setup is welcome. Thanks.

Frank

maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If you do not want HD that is fine. Ever since I installed the Winegard Travler Autoseek on the roof, there is no turning back. The picture quality is unreal with a HD Directv receiver on the large screen Samsung.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
I have the winegard carryout also and it does get the hd. It is well worth the money.
ctwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
HD is nice but very pricey. I went with the portable carryout and mounted it on the rear ladder near the top. We upgraded the Directv SD receiver to a SD recorder and ran the second line from the satellite antennae and now record two different channels at the same time as long as they use the same satellite. We have used this setup for two years now and are very happy with it. We have not been able to get local channels when out of state, even after changing the billing address!! So we just bought a AB switch and use cable (when available) or the TV antennae for local channels. Works for us.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ctwebb

I have the winegard carryout also and it does get the hd. It is well worth the money.
Is that for Dish or Directv. I didn't hink any of the carryouts had Directv HD? Something new?
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have not found any carryouts that will get HD from Direct
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I don't receive hd on directv, but I am pretty happy with my Carryout. It works as long as I have a clear shot
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have had the carry out for about 3 years now. Started with the carry out and tripod then bought the ladder mount after someone tried to help themselves to it unsuccessfully thank goodness. We started out with no HD and this summer the channels come in HD. We use dish. It does work and find satellites all on its own. It has saved lots of frustration. If you have a lapse of time not using you have to call Dish to send a hit . We have no problems getting local channels. We call Dish and give them the zip code we are in. We would buy it again tomorrow.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
I have had the roof mount Winneguard fir over 2 years, and it is great. The HD picture is fantastic. I have two boxes in the trailer, with the box in the bedroom running both the bedroom TV and the outside TV using an HDMI splitter.
I have only had a couple of times where trees interfered with my reception.

The beauty is no hassle -punch a button and five minutes later a perfect picture.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We have had Direct TV since 1996. Getting a bit tired of their pricing. Considering going to Dish this spring when we get back from S Texas. We put our service on "vacation" for the winter, but last year they told us we could not cancel our service for 6 months when we re-established service this last spring.

I would want a carry round something for HD. I have a HD dish on a tripod and it is a bit of a hassle to set up.

I was told that you can get Dish by the month by some RV'ing friends.

Thanks, Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The thing with dish is that it is less expensive?? but if you want the same programming as you have on Directtv you need to go to a higher price dish package so it turns out not to be less expensive. We like the HD broadcast so we can not have a portable dish. the travler is on our wish list. We use a remote dish on a tripod and have no problem setting it up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have installed two of these Carryout systems recently. The following applies to DirecTV. Dish is different.

The Carryout will only supply SD pictures for DirecTV. *IF* you want HD on DirectTV you have to use something else.

Ensure the receiver you are using is not a Single Wire Module (SWM) only device. The receiver has to operate in multi-switch mode!

The power cord is only used when the Carryout is locating the satellite(s). Once it has locked on to the satellite, the power cord can be removed.

The Carryout has two RF connectors. You run RG6 cable from the Carryout to the satellite receiver. Assuming you do not have a DVR, you only need one cable. It needs to be connected to the "primary" RF connection on the carryout. You can use the satellite connection in the convenience center to connect the Carryout to the receiver when using one RG6 cable. Should you want to use two cables from the Carryout you will have figure out a way to get the second cable connected to the receiver.

The Carryout is extremely easy to setup. Place the Carryout in a place where there is an unobstructed view of the southern (actually south south east) sky. Connect the power cord and turn it on. Once it stops clicking it has located the satellite.

Connect the RG6 and turn on the receiver and you should have a picture (once the receiver setup completes).

It is very likely you will *NOT* have local channels once you are away from you home.

DirecTV does not support RV usage. You are best off never mentioning "RV" to them. Some folks move a box from their home to their "summer cabin", call DirecTV and convince them to temporarily change their local stations to their current location. But you can't do it too often. Fortunately Frank gets his locals (Sacramento) on a very large spot beam. He will receive them from Portland, OR to Bakersfield, CA. As long as he stays in that area he will not have a problem with locals.

DirecTV allows you to suspend for up to 6 months but then you have to be active for at least 6 months. Not a problem if you are using a receiver from home.

If your receiver has not been connected to the satellite for a month it automatically is inactivated. You can re-activate it easily by going to the DirecTV web site or by calling DirecTV.

The above applies to DirecTV. Some items are also true for Dish, but not all. By and large, Dish has shown to be more RV friendly. If you can switch you might be better off. If you can't switch then you will have to adjust to DirecTV's idiosyncrasies.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
I take a dish reciever and have an extra dish that I mount on a tripod. Last year I run and extra outlet to the outside alongside of the Sat in hookup and then run another sat in at the bedroon to the TV. Now can now watch my showup stairs and she can watch hers down staire of visa versa. works great
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
We got by several years, changing address. We finally had to sign up for Directv mobile, cost $10.00 a month more
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
From listening to most RVer Dish is more appreciative of RV customers and HD is not as much a hassle with them. We have Directv HD and take one receiver from the stick house and have a slimline (oval) HD satellite 5LNB dish on a tripod with a meter to find the 101 sat and the tilt feature along with the elevation and azimuth. The dish, tripod, and meter came a package on sale for I think about $160. I think our dish setup is no longer being manufactured as technology has moved on without us. The wind in Casa Grande, AZ blew over the tripod and broke the 5LNB and it cost us $55 to replace. We use to have Standard receiver and used it with an 18 inch oval on small stand and it was a snap to set up most of the time. But, we wanted HDTV, so now it takes a bit of practice and time to set up the dish and align to get HD. If we wanted we could take the second receiver from the stick house and run second cable to RV from the dish to convenience center and have two tvs on HD same as if at home base. We change our physical address to our "winter residence" when in West Palm, other times we have cable or use the crank up antenna for locals.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
I have the Tailgater and Dish. Set up is a breeze and get HD just like at home. Haven't figured how to get it to the BR tv yet. We just watch over the air in the BR.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We used the same set up you are talking about for a little over two years but since we use Dish we had HD. I ran a power cord across the basement and used the 110-12v next to the convenience center. Brought all three cables in the water opening, hooked the cables to both cable inlets and took the power cord around the convenience center wall to the power outlet. the convenience center wall doesn't seal to the basement door so it fits perfectly. I also had a ladder mount for the carryout that we used we stayed put for long periods and trees weren't in the way. Sold the whole thing at the Rally because, like Bingo, we went with the roof mounted full service rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #18
Chiplynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13144
We have Dish at home and take the receiver when we travel. The carryout has worked great (I was frustrated with the manual process) and have been able to move it out of the trees when needed. I too have been unable to figure out the wiring to get it to the bedroom TV.
Chiplynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #19
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We have the Dish tailgater works great easy set up and fully automatic. Only problem was when I was disorented on direction and I had the dish pointed north Instead of south.
Added to our home program so this only costs $7 a month only the months we use it. Couldnt be better.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #20
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Just something more to think about. The Carryout and the Tailgater are pretty picky about the receiver you use also. The DVR type receiver don't work very easily if at all with the higher end receiver. 211 seems to be the common one. I know there are some people that have worked around the higher end receivers but you have to know what your doing and understand things a lot more than I do.

I have had the carryout for 6 yrs. and it has worked great. But I put the Traveler on the roof and never looked back. This thing is a dream. Pull into camp site, plug in power and hit the power up button and then finish setup and turn the TV on, its there all ready for you. I always carried the carryout with us just in case trees were in the way and after carrying it for the last 2 yrs. and not using it I stored it at my home base. Just don't need it.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote