Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yosemite, and on to Jackson ??

OK, I am looking at this Mountain Directory and I might have to take tranquilizers tomorrow??? Can we do, 140 to 49 (Merced to Mariposa)?

Then, 49 north from Mariposa to 120?

120 east into Groveland? That Priest grade looks brutal.

I know some of you have taken 41 in, but, that seems to be the long way around, adding LOTS o miles.

I might be better off never owning this book. Gesshhh, stretching my comfort zone all to heckie doo and back again.

And, while we are at it, how bout leaving Yosemite and heading to Jackson?? That 49 sounds interesting too.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I live 12 miles from Jackson. I hate driving 49 just in my truck alone. Narrow and more twist and turns than a cork screw. Just my opinion. Pulling a RV I would take the longer route.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Priest Grade a very do-able road without any problems. I'm sure it will probably intimidate some.

That said, I've towed on it both ways several times and so do and endless stream of many many RVs' all season long.

Are there drop offs and turns... yes.

It's just a matter of your preferences and how much you don't like mountain roads. But as far as is it safe to tow on it? - yes, completely. Just give it the same care you would any mountain road.

FYI - the grade portion is only about 5 miles.

If you are really afraid of drop offs and do everything you can to avoid them, then go around. If not - or If you can handle 5 miles - then don't worry and enjoy the ride.

Heading East towards Yosemite you are on the outside lane.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
The "new" Priest Grade is nicer than the old road. Hwy 120
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Hope I got this right. Merced to Mariposa on 140 is a piece of cake. I probable would not tow into Yosemite from the Mariposa side. There was a slide years ago and it is not open to large rigs.
From Mariposa north on 49 you might not like Bagby grade very steep and very tight, I have driven fire truck down it dozens of time and would look for an alternate and unless you must go that way.
If you are going straight from Yosemite to Jackson you'd be better going thru Groveland by way of hwy 120 to 49. 49 from there is do able.
If you are just driving up to the park by truck the Merced elks has a RV park in Merced and then it is a short day trip to the Valley.
Good luck, sorry to say we will be missing Jackson, to may things
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Route is:

152 east thru Los Banos,

59 north where it turns to Merced

140 north east to Mariposa

49 north west to 120

120 east to Groveland.

Leaving Groveland would be 120 west to 49

49 northwest to Jackson

SOOOO, Frank, what would be a route from Groveland to Jackson, the long route??

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Carol,
That is the same route we took to the park and other than one long pull it was all fine. Good roads etc.
Just close your eyes and tell Al go and you will be fine.
Have a great trip.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We r going. Bout half way there. Now the going gets interesting. Thanks awaywego! BTW, I see snow way up there?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
120 to 49.. I don't think it would be a problem.. We've done it and it wasn't a white knuckle at all. Now the old Priest Grade.. hmmm. I'm guessing you have some sort of tranny brake in your puller. It helps a lot. Don't sweat it..
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OK, we did the route I laid out above.

49 north(west) all the way to 120, and then east into the park area.

They tell me we did it the hardest way,

Both dudes working here at the campground swear the bestest way to go is to take the 132 cutoff.

Now, much of 140, 49 and 120 are all freshly blacktopped. Smooth as a babies backside, as my long departed daddy use to say.

We heated Jolly's trans up a bit, and yes, we had the air conditioner OFF as was suggested in the signage. (that was on 120).

We did try to use the turnouts when safe to let traffic by.

We did some turns at 10 MPH. Exhaust brake does not work under 1000 RPM so says CountryGuy, so, he drove long hunks in 1st and 2nd gears. It was one of the few times this trip he has had to use the brakes a lot coming down hills. Even in FIRST!

They tell me if we drove what we did, we should have little trouble doing 49 northwest outta here to Jackson.

I think we will ask some more questions.

Jolly performed like a dream. I did not require meds. I only screamed twice!

Pretty good for one day!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #11
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I agree with the guys in the park. You would have a lot nicer trip if you had taken 59 out of Merced to 132 to 49.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Here is a graphic of most of our drive yesterday. Note, we started west of the number one on this graphic, so, we were traveling, northerly and easterly. Go from number 1 to 2 and 3 and - - -

So, we traveled on 152 to 59 north to Merced. By the way, that road was 2 lane, not much shoulder and rough surfaced.

At Merced we got on 140 and went west. Road good.

At Mariposa, we turned northwest on 49 and drove to 120 intersection.

This graphic is near the Bagby area, that point on the bottom left of this graphic was WOW, and WOW again. Some turn that!

WOW.

At 120 we turned east and proceeded to Groveland. More WOW!

Here is a bit of graphic, zoomed a bit, of that section of road

Not shown on any of these graphics is the J20 or 132 road, that reportedly comes out of Coulterville.

The road surfaces of 49 and 120 were clean, smooth, fresh, smooth, did I say, SMOOTH??

And, now, Yosemite (sans Tana, she stays IN the campground today) calls our names!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sorry I didn't get a chance to comment on the topic yesterday. It seems you posted and got on the road pretty quick and I was out running errands and missed it somehow. I did that route with a smaller rig heading to Yosemite and vowed never again when towing. There was another equally horrid route but that one was erased from memory since I now use the route I'll describe in the next paragraph.

I found heading up 99 and using county road J14 (I think that was the one), then catching Hwy 120/108 at Oakdale is a relatively easier but longer route (until after the junction of 49). But at least one doesn't have the curvy roads of 49 prior to that, too. I found that longer route seemed faster because there's more lanes and less curvy roads to slow me down. I do recall scaring the crap out of opposing drivers on them tight curves and had to concentrate on keeping the trailer tracking my lane. I was very pleased I could do this but I do prefer keeping the route on the straight and narrow as much as possible.

BTW - what mapping program do you use?

I LOVE Yosemite. Lemme know if you need some hints about the NP. With my big RV I would not stay in the Park. There's too many tight spots driving in and the campgrounds are too small too. If you are a hiker, I've been all over the Valley floor (too crowded) and prefer hiking and backpacking the back trails. The view of the valley from North Dome is AWESOME! I overnighted on that dome and there are NO crowds there.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I towed most of those roads with our 3295RK and drove the others solo numerous times. It's not really that bad and it's a beautiful drive. I would do it again without hesitation. The grades are not that bad. Your Ram will appreciate the workout but won't work up much of a sweat. Just sit back and enjoy the scenery.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Are you at the Jackson Ranheria now?

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We are at Groveland till Wednesday AM when we will move over to Jackson.

After taking Jolly (sans Tana, she stayed at the campground) into the park today, I can tell you there is NO way in the world we would ever take a Montana in there.

For 140, we are too long, if the signs of 45 foot TOTAL are to be believed as well as the $270.00 fine if you decide to try it and get caught.

There are tunnels that are less than 11 foot at the inner edge, so, try that and it will be good bye Montana roof.

A couple of rocks protrude OVER the roads, they have most of those cut back to about 13 foot 6 inches.

Besides the tourists will try to run you over if you are not going over the speed limit. Thank you park people for all the turnoffs.

By the way, with the correct driving, with the correct gears, you can just about drive from 6200 to about 3500 feet, said route covering a few miles and ya know, you never really have to brake. Really.

And funny, you pull over for the rear fender chewers, they zoom by ya and next thing you see is them all applying the brakes.

Oh, and what was that foul ordor up there all day?

OHHHH, brakes burning up, that's what!

The maps were done with Microsoft Streets and Trips. I map the entire trip, you can see it here:

MAPS

Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Looking at your maps I remember that drive and towing that route very well. A beautiful drive. I'd never sacrifice a beautiful drive for a shorter, easier, but less scenic route unless it's a route I am not comfortable driving. And that one, while challenging, is certainly doable.

I also smile when I see yours (and Al's in an eamil) reference to how well the tow/haul and exhaust brake work on those long, steep downhills, even when towing. I have been known to occasionally touch the brake pedal just to let the people behind us know our brake lights do, in fact, work. I do not like following someone down a twisty mountain road when their brake lights don't work.

I hope you are enjoying Yosemite. It's one of my very favorite places. Gorgeous.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote