Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
2nd air conditioner

Well, last March, just prior to opening up the Challenger for the up coming camping season, I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a fireplace for the entertainment center at a reasonable cost. Compliments of the employer. Got the coach dewinterized and set up at Twin Mills. Took the fireplace over as a weekend project and had it installed and working perfectly. What a great addition !! That was my main project for 2007.

The coach has not been put into hibernation for 3 weeks and already, I have my 2008 project lying before me. That is the installation of a 2nd A/C, a 13.5K Dometic A/C for the bedroom up stairs. Frame and electric is already there. All I gotta' do is cut a 14" square hole thru the roof! Or there abouts. Again, thanks to a deal I ran across today at work, I couldn't afford to pass it up.

Ah yes! Life is good. Moving into a Big Sky in 3 or 4 years should be real easy because we will already be use to the "bling"!!

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
You will love the fireplace and the 2nd AC. We wouldn't be without either.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, that is where I would freeze up. The idea of me cutting a hole in the top give me the willies. I have no problem with experienced service people doing it. If they mess it up, I have someone to blame. Glad you found a good deal on both upgrades. Have fun.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We were able to use our 2nd AC this summer in Lewiston, ID and in central Oregon. What a difference. Now the fireplace is great. If anyone is contemplating one, do it. It won't heat the whole Monty, but it SURE is nice in the living Room watching TV in the evening. Just enough to take the chill off. I wish I could say I won't need the 2nd AC but that is probably just wishful thinking. For anyone who has woken up in a puddle of sweat, as I have in the past, the 2nd AC is a godsend.....Wouldn't be without either one at this point....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Stiles,

At first I thought I would have to cut a hole, too. But, as it turns out, it is already there from the crank-up vent that is right there. All I have to do is take out the vent. The electrical connection box for the A/C is in the ceiling right next to the vent garnish or, the inside trim. The hardest part of all this is that, I may have to add the breaker in the buss bar for it.

HMmm.....may have to get this installed in March and go to the Spring Rally in AZ to test it.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

Stiles,

At first I thought I would have to cut a hole, too. But, as it turns out, it is already there from the crank-up vent that is right there. All I have to do is take out the vent. The electrical connection box for the A/C is in the ceiling right next to the vent garnish or, the inside trim. The hardest part of all this is that, I may have to add the breaker in the buss bar for it.

HMmm.....may have to get this installed in March and go to the Spring Rally in AZ to test it.
There should already be a breaker in the panel, just check to see if you have it.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
I had a second one added a couple of weeks after I purchased the unit. A local dealer (not the one we purchased from) was advertising $589.00 plus $89.00 installation for the same air conditioner as yours. I knew that was aprox one hours labor, so I figured it could't be that much to it. You're right, they just removed the crank up vent and it fits right in. There was already a seperate breaker in my camper labled "2nd ac". In and out the same morning. The new air conditioner also has a heat strip in it. Got a chance to try it out at the Outer Banks a couple of weeks ago and it works great.
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Wow those are some great improvements. Take lots of pictures on the airconditioner install. I may need a reference to get up the courage...unless I tell him to go ahead and add it when we do the PDI on delivery day.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Okie Guy, I'll try to take pictures as we do the project. Just for grins and giggles, I'll even include a couple of the fireplace we put in this last spring.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:27 AM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
You can get the breaker panel at Home Depot.
Don did the wiring for the 2nd AC in the Montana. He put 3 extra circuits in the fuse panel. For other things too.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote