Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Front overhang

When did they change the front overhang on the fifth-wheel rigs? Al (Countryguy) was telling me they made it about 13" shorter, I think this will be a great move made by Keystone. I believe it will eliminate any frame problems, I didn't know about it until we backed under our 344RET 07 and not much room left to walk between it, we were thrilled to see the change.

Larry & LaVonne

Old 01-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Another "perk"; they moved the basement forward which allowed for a "full" washer/dryer closet. Those of us with the original 04 3400RL and early 05 models understand what I'm talking about. I do not want my washer/dryer closet to be open in the back into the basement area, which is why I probably will not be putting one in...

Larry,
I am curious, can you still hook and unhook with your tailgate open on your new Mountaineer??
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:47 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Larry,

I think you are right on! It has to reduce some of the earlier stress on the front frame.

It's been shortened enough that it made me stop and get out and measure the first time we hooked up to the new 3400. With the tailgate down on our shortbed, there is only about 2" left, whereas I used to be able to easily walk through there with our 2003 model. I'll have to learn to always come in straight, or I will hit the tailgate.

Also noticed when towing that the nose does not come anywhere near the cab in a tight turn like the 2003 model, but the bumper gets real close to the front generator cabinet. I'll have to get out and play some more to see what the limits are, but I'm glad I still have the slider hitch.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Montana Sky

Yes I can hookup & unhook with our tailgate down and still have about one foot left, give or take an inch or two. It came with the extended pinbox which also helps, but I replaced it with my old one which was the Demco Glide Ride.

We think with the shorter bedroom overhang will be a big plus because we had a 05 with a problem of flex by the bedroom slide, I think Keystone has come forward in solving this problem. Great move Keystone.

Larry & LaVonne
Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 AM   #5
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Brad

That is the first pic's I have seen of your new rig looks really great, did your rig come with an extended pinbox? If not, that may be the difference. Have fun with your new home on wheels.

Larry & LaVonne
Old 01-25-2007, 04:46 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Larry,

It has the standard pinbox for the 3400, which is slightly extended but shorter than our old one. We are having a Fifth Airborne pin box installed, but I think they are the same dimensions, as we needed to factory pin box number to order it.

Brad
Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Thanks Larry,

It has the standard pinbox for the 3400, which is slightly extended but shorter than our old one. We are having a Fifth Airborne pin box installed, but I think they are the same dimensions, as we needed to factory pin box number to order it.

Brad
The 5th Airborne pin box is slightly shorter...just enough so that unless the truck is exactly parallel with the trailer, the forward basement door will not open with the tail gate closed.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yikes!!!! That could be a problem for me Bert. When I turn my rear bumper gets real close to that front cabinet!! Not sure I could do with much less.

That's one of the reasons I ruled out the Demco glide ride pin box. I was afraid a forward motion would catch me on that front cabinet if I was backing in a turn.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
I thought it was not shorter over hang just redesigned pin box less extension.

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
This discussion makes me ask - any problems with LB trucks with reg tailgate and clearance with the 3400?

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:19 AM   #11
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
ragdoll

The difference in the LB trucks and SB trucks on the rear and tailgate are the same, the difference is at the front of the rig and the cab. Brad may have more info. to add about it with the 3400.

Brad will Keystone OK it if you put on an extended pinbox?

Larry & LaVonne
Old 01-26-2007, 03:55 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Larry and Ragdoll,

Don't get me wrong - the new 3400 fits just fine on my short bed, and Cats long bed. There should be no need to ever get an extended pin box.

The new nose design did take care of any concern I had with the nose hitting the cab on my shortbed. It never even gets close. However, the length between the nose and the front cabinet is significantly shorter. The first thing I noticed in turns is the rear bumper swings real close to that front cabinet. When Bert said the fifth airborne is a little shorter, it has me worried that my bumper may actually hit that front cabinet in a turn, especially when on angled terrain such as pulling out of a parking lot.

I'll just have to measure the clearance again, then compare the new pin box to the old one. If the fifth airborne is too short for mine, I won't install it. I'll just have to figure something else out.

No worries -
Brad

Old 01-26-2007, 04:20 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the 06 3400 with the new front end and the MOr-Ryde pin box..We have had this thing more than jack knifed (LB truck) and everything clears with room to spare. We can just get the front hatch open hooked up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #14
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
No problems with turning clearance, just can't get the front basement all the way open when hooked up unless parallel. Even turned the finger hook on the basement door around 180* to get an extra bit of space...it is real real close to coming open.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bert,

Now you got me thinking - I'm not sure I ever tried to open the front cargo door when hooked up. Looks like I need to go play this weekend and try it, along with measuring what my actual turning clearance is.

Brad
Old 01-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Brad, I wonder if it is how the hitch is mounted in the truck or the hitch itself. With my tail gate down I can slide between the unit and the tail gate. It is a tight fit but I do it all the time. Now on my 05 I had lots of room. My tail gate is 19 inches high I wonder if the ford is taller. There was a post eariler about how some could not open the front cargo door when hooked up. I posted some pictures showing I had about 6 inches between the cargo door and the back of the truck. My hitch is mounted 2-3 inches in front of the axel.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis,

Wow, you're right. My tailgate is 24-1/2" tall from the pivot point. With my tailgate down, there is 2" to the cargo door. Couldn't pass through there if I had to.

I also know they had to move my hitch forward about an inch to match up with the frame on the new Ford, but looks to me like it's 2-3" forward of the axle as yours.

It's still amazing how the nose doesn't come anywhere near my cab. I used to hear the wind as it whisshed by on the 2003. I used my slider to park it in storage, more for concern of hitting the bumper than the cab. I'll have to play some more to see just how much room that bumper has.

Brad
Old 01-26-2007, 04:27 PM   #18
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Brad

It looks like you may have to go on a diet to get between the truck & the rig. I started this thread trying to find out when they changed the length of the overhang and not the front cap. Now I feel all I have done is given you a big headache making you run out and checking your new rig.

So can anyone tell me when they changed the length of the bedroom overhang?

Larry & LaVonne
Old 01-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
No worries Larry - gives me an excuse to go hook it back up!

They changed the length of the overhang at the same time as the cap - 2006 for the Montana. It was a total structural rework.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
............Hey Larry and LeVonne, I think you went and snuck in a new rig and didn't tell anybody!!! Or at least I didn't see the post. Last time I heard you were wondering about a trade value.

CONGRATULATIONS!! can't wait for pics!