Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
Jingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #23321
Battery Disconnects

We just took delivery of e 2019, 3121RL Montana. I am playing with it in the driveway and have a question. There are two battery disconects, one in the battery compartment and the other in the service center. What does each disconnect control? Is it necessary to install a main disconnect to prevent battery discharge during extended storage? Any tips you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Jingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
The one in the service center disconnects the converter from the battery. (I believe its main purpose is to just confuse folks) The one in the battery compartment should be to kill power to your inverter (powers your res refer). For storage you need to add a battery disconnect.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
I have a new 3120 (RV Fridge, no inverter). I am aware of only the battery disconnect in the service center. When disconnected, all 12 v power to the RV is turned off (lights, radio, etc.). However, the level-up system still has power. Not sure what else does.

I've looked in the battery compartment, but do not see another battery disconnect (assuming it will look like the one in the service center).
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
We just took delivery of e 2019, 3121RL Montana. I am playing with it in the driveway and have a question. There are two battery disconects, one in the battery compartment and the other in the service center. What does each disconnect control? Is it necessary to install a main disconnect to prevent battery discharge during extended storage? Any tips you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
You have a residential fridge and the disconnect in the battery area is to shut off the fridge (inverter) only. The other one shuts off (nearly) all other 12v.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As noted above, the disconnect in the convienence center is just to confuse you. If you turn it off and leave the rig the battery will be dead in just a day or two. Many things besides level-up are powered including things like the propane detector etc.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
As noted above, the disconnect in the convienence center is just to confuse you. If you turn it off and leave the rig the battery will be dead in just a day or two. Many things besides level-up are powered including things like the propane detector etc.
Thanks.

So far the battery is fine, but agree even the slightest draw can drain it in storage. A disconnect should be total and complete. Any suggestions as to brand and mounting for adding a switchable total disconnect?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryConnection.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	3092  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Termi...top+post+blade
Old 02-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
I think many posts have been made about this. I decided to go with a key disconnect on the neg side of the battery in the battery compartment. Once I turn this off I do not worry about discharge. I still keep a small solar panel for charging when we are in storage.
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #9
scott802
Established Member

M.O.C. #23255
same issue

glad you posted this. I also have a 2019 3121RL. I may not understand the use of the battery disconnect in the convenience center and how to properly utilize it (or not). Basically, every time I try to use my jacks I end up with a 'low voltage' error and I'm not even able to auto level etc. It's been super frustrating. I think by inadvertently messing with the battery disconnect my batteries are not charging as they should.
Further, when I store it I'm basically just plugging into a wall socket which means I definitely need to disconnect everything else - by the time I return to the camper to go out, the batteries are totally dead.

Thanks very much
scott802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott802 View Post
glad you posted this. I also have a 2019 3121RL. I may not understand the use of the battery disconnect in the convenience center and how to properly utilize it (or not). Basically, every time I try to use my jacks I end up with a 'low voltage' error and I'm not even able to auto level etc. It's been super frustrating. I think by inadvertently messing with the battery disconnect my batteries are not charging as they should.
Further, when I store it I'm basically just plugging into a wall socket which means I definitely need to disconnect everything else - by the time I return to the camper to go out, the batteries are totally dead.

Thanks very much

Scott if you put a disconnect in the battery compartment, directly on the neg side, and then add a battery maintenance charger to the batteries, You will always have hot batteries when you need them.
Using the "Battery Disconnect" in the convenience center will still allow some draw on the batteries. I just leave that one on and cut all power in the battery compartment.
JMHO
Joe
Old 02-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #11
scott802
Established Member

M.O.C. #23255
Thanks very much Joe.
So basically, I shouldn't be messing with the battery disconnect in the 'convenience center'. Leave that Key in. Until such time that I get a REAL battery disconnect installed, I am still going to have to basically plug into my truck to get the batteries charged after the camper is sitting to even have enough power to get my jacks up.
What a mess! Sorry for the dumb questions.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #12
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Not dumb. I think we all went through the same thing.
Like I said, you still have parasitic draw just using the convenience center. Carbon mono detector, led lights, clock lights. All of that is a small draw but it adds up.
Joe
Old 02-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #13
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott802 View Post
Thanks very much Joe.
So basically, I shouldn't be messing with the battery disconnect in the 'convenience center'. Leave that Key in. Until such time that I get a REAL battery disconnect installed, I am still going to have to basically plug into my truck to get the batteries charged after the camper is sitting to even have enough power to get my jacks up.
What a mess! Sorry for the dumb questions.
I'm going through the same learning curve as you are. I ended up pulling the battery out and bringing it home and put it on a charger that maintains a float charge as well. With the cold weather, I don't want it to totally discharge and get damaged.

I plan to add a disconnect on the negative terminal as some have suggested. I'll keep the battery in during the warmer months.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #14
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Scott, you are learning one of the reasons I have renamed it the inconvenience center.

Battery disconnect
SAT and cable (dis)connections
not all dump valves there-- Where's Dump Valves game
Leave valve to "fill" with pump on-- you will think you have a leak
flip washer/screen to winterize.

For such a small area, it needs a bit of attention
Old 02-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #15
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
Why is the blade disconnect on the Neg.terminal? Mine is too, but why isn't it on the Pos.terminal? I know it has a purpose of sound principle, but I can't wrap my pea brain around reasons. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Just my $.02 but I have never turned the convenience switch off in any of my RV's.
I come home and plug the RV in 120V and everything stays charged. Hook-up to the TV and the batteries stay charged by the TV. Dry camp and charge the batteries with the generator pugged in the normal way with the 50A/30A cable.
If I was to store the RV without any power hookup I would then install a knife blade disconnect on the combined negative cable to isolate the batteries from all usage.
Simple.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #17
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Disconnect on the negative terminal because that is the proper way to disconnect a battery AND anything touching the positive terminal won't create a shock hazard unless you are standing there with a hand on the frame or negative battery terminal.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #18
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
More research on batteries revealed complexities of why... thanks to those who answered, appreciate your time.

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...l-not-positive
Old 02-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #19
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Electrons flow from the negative side to the positive side. Disconnecting the source disables the entire system.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #20
scott802
Established Member

M.O.C. #23255
Thank you so much for everyone who responded. This site has been great and frankly a godsend - zero helpful assistance from the dealer and so forth. It's really helpful.

I'm finding out most things through 'trial and error' and had to laugh when I read 'Inconvenience Center'. the first time I dumped my tanks and spent all this time searching for the 'hidden' second gray dump value I definitely wondered 'and what was the logic of locating the second gray dump value way under here????' (besides the obvious answer it was cheaper)
2019 Montana 3121 RL