Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2014, 02:24 AM   #1
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
Drilling the gelcoat?

I purchased the LED lights that most of you have installed under the awning. My plan is to run them about 4" below the awning. The power cord will run down the edge of the awning arm which ends up just above my front basement storage door. My question is how safe will it be to drill through the gelcoat so I can run the power cord into the basement storage and mount the control box permanently? I have a 115v outlet in the storage compartment where the tv mounts so I thought it would work out if I can get the poser cord into the compartment. Thanks in advance.

tracyclifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Start with a small drill bit and gradually use larger bits until you have the hole large enough and you should be good.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You can run the wire inside the awning mount (arm) as there is a wire loom already in the front one.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
Just got the lights via USPS. They work like they should. My rig is in storage so I will need to go over there and check it out and see what I need. I also ordered the extension for between the lights and the control box but it won't be here until next week. I may just splice in a longer piece of wire on the 12v side of the adapter and mount the control box on the outside and the adapter in the storage bay. That will require a smaller hole since I won't have to pass any connectors through. That may allow me to drill through the frame of the storage compartment door instead of the gelcoat. I'll take pics when I do it and try to post. I thought I may run some of this along the vertical awning arm to hide the wire. http://www.lowes.com/pd_61624-170-C10_0__?productId=3129213&Ntt=wiremold&pl=1¤tURL=% 3FNtt%3Dwiremold&facetInfo=[/img]
Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't know for sure (others may chime in) but I don't think the control box is 100% waterproof if you are planning to mount it on the exterior somewhere. Like I mentioned in my first reply, there is already a wire loom inside your vertical awning base arm. The power awning wires run in it with room to spare.

PS: Why mess with the 115 volt adaptor when you have 12VDC in your storage area where the TV hooks to? Just thinking out loud.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
Dieselguy thanks for the good ideas. I may use the 12v outlet and I'll check out the awning when I go over this afternoon. If I use the awning arm to hide the wire, it will still need to run back out the bottom? I'm not sure how mine is set up.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
I thought I may run some of this along the vertical awning arm to hide the wire. http://www.lowes.com/pd_61624-170-C10_0__?productId=3129213&Ntt=wiremold&pl=1¤tURL=% 3FNtt%3Dwiremold&facetInfo=[/img]

I believe this molding is for interior use(it is not specified in the specs.) If you do decide to use it I am sure it will probably yellow quickly in the sun, of course then it will match the factory screw cover molds.
DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
You are right about that. If it yellows it will match the factory trim already on the 5th wheel. As cheap as it is I could just replace it when it does. I couldn't get in the storage lot tonight. Something to do with the computer upgrade and it wouldn't accept my codes. I have to go have it reset tomorrow and try again.