Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Bedroom a/c

When we have the bedroom a/c on with the vent open that allows cold air to flow directly from the unit, it blows like crazy. When we close off the vent to allow for flow thru the ductwork, we get a lot of flow in the front bathroom, but hardly any from the two in the bedroom. The unit is in the bedroom. Any ideas as to why?

Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There are two rectangular ducts in your ceiling running near full length of your fiver ... drop the 6 screws out of the A/C ceiling mount and lay it aside. Look up inside where the cold air blows from the unit and make sure the path is clear to each rectangular main duct. Why you have lotsa volume from the "John" duct and not the street side bedroom vent ... I don't have an answer.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We found that on ours, which had the factory installed second A/C, that the two round A/C vents in the bedroom were from the main A/C toward the rear of the trailer, and the A/C in the bedroom had no other ducts, just the outlet directly from the A/C itself. I'm thinking that without the second A/C option, the rear A/C would be ducted this way to cool the bedroom.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:42 AM   #4
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I thought that was the way it was too. The second AC is mainly to cool down the rig. The last thing I would want at night is that bedroom AC right above my head to come on.... At night the rear AC should be able to handle all your cooling needs. Even here in Texas on hot nights we run ours on low most times and it keeps the rig cool, It you pull the cover off you should be able to see if it is even hooked up to a vent.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:02 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just a follow up ... my fiver came without the 2nd A/C. I still think all units come with 2 separate long retangular ducts running near full length of the fiver whether prepped for 2 A/C's or 1. Vents are installed along each run, but your rear A/C feeds both runs from the same source right above your filter. When I installed my second A/C, once I had the original roof vent removed, all I had to do was remove the duct tape and cardboard where at the factory, they blocked off access up in the ceiling to the same two runs that the rear air feeds.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Okay - after reading your responses, I did some more checking. The rear main unit does move air out the bedroom and bathroom ducts. Not a lot, but some. When I turn the front unit on with it, the amount of flow increases a little out the bedroom ducts and A LOT out the bathroom ducts, with the vent on the unit closed. I guess, if only the front unit is on, it too must be moving air thru all vents and that is why the flow is so very low in the bedroom. Just still can't figure out why the vent in the bathroom puts out so much with only the front one on. Maybe Gremlins?
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virginia Young

Just still can't figure out why the vent in the bathroom puts out so much with only the front one on. Maybe Gremlins?
Hi

Ours is the same way. When both AC’s are running the bathroom gets extremely cold even on hot summer days.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just for grins ... tape over the bathrom duct and see if it improves your bedroom airflow. If so, buy one of those ceiling vents that has an adjustable louver and prune down the bathroom air. They just screw in place where the stock one was.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Something to look at:
Pop the grills off the vents and look inside. If they are the same as our original ones, the plastic vent sticks way up into duct work. It may be that there is very little clearance between the vent tube and the top of the duct, blocking most of the airflow. If you find this to be the case, you can remove the vent and trim the plastic tube to the proper length and re-install them. On ours the factory sealed the gap between the duct and vent with aluminum tape. a good quality Duct Tape should work well for this also..
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote