Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
bennettommyd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12931
Greasing Wheels

I admit I am no mechanic, but even I should be able to to grease the wet bolts and the wheels. I tried everything I could this morning and could not get the grease gun end to fit onto the zerk fitting. Don't have any idea what to do. Any suggestions? Are there different size zerk fittings? or is it the fitting on the end of the grease gun?

bennettommyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Maybe the end of the g-gun needs adjustment. There is an outside collar and an inside clamp. The collar is threaded and can be turned to increase or decrease pressure on the clamp.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Tom, Can you not get your grease gun on the fitting? Does your grease gun have the rubber hose on it?

The tire is kinda in the way. If you have a rubber hose on your grease gun, then a option would be to put a fitting on the hose that lets you connect at a 90 degree angle. Like this.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...rease+fittings

OR, you can remove the zerks and replace them with zerks that are at a angle instead of straight on, like you have now. When you replace the zerks, the angle may not be quite right, so a bit of red locktight on the threads and let it set up. This might not be the right one, but you get the idea.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...rease+fittings

If you are greasing the wheel bearings, make sure you have the wheel off the ground so you can turn the wheel while you grease it. It is VERY EASY to overgrease and get grease on the brake linings.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Tom-I had same problem with a new grease gun recently. Do the adjustment on the end that connects to zerk fittings. Probably will solve the problem.

When I installed wet bolts I installed the zerk to the inside. I always grease at home in building with concrete floor so I use the ole creeper and roll under. While there I roll around to inspect things. Also used advice of others and purchased an air grease gun for this sole purpose. Makes job go much better. HF has a decent gun if you catch the sale.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Part of your question has been cussed and discussed in various lively posts here on the MOC. Please ... don't waste your time with attempting to pump grease into the EZ Lube wheel bearing hubs. To get it to work properly, you have to have to jack each wheel up and slowly spin applying the patience of Jobe as can be attested by the only two people here on the MOC that actually got it to work as advertised. If you just have to grease the EZ Lube wheel hubs for peace of mind ... ONLY 2-3 pumps per wheel ... it will be your placebo! Greasing these hubs can and will bypass grease back into your brake drums if you're not extremely careful. Grease and brake shoe linings don't play well together ... It's way better to just pop the wheels off and hand pack your bearings as well as replace the wheel seals. As for the wet bolts ... once you get the grease gun to connect to the zerks ... pump away.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote