Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Squeezing into the basement again

Finally got the physical part of the Autoformer installation done at the campground Saturday. Location is behind the second basement panel which is directly behind the stairs leading up to the living room in the 3750. The stairs are of interesting construction in that they are box-framed with solid bottoms extending back to the basement wall. So the floor of the second step extends the entire way back to the basement wall. Since I wanted the Autoformer to be in a standing position, this meant that I had to cut a notch in the particle board behind the basement panel to allow this. This in turn meant squeezing into the basement with a saw and a dremel tool to make the cut. I did accomplish that, so now all that is left is to get the wiring in place to allow the use of the Autoformer in those parks with low voltage problems and likewise to bypass the Autoformer at other times. Wonder what will be next on the modification journey that these rigs always seem to give us the impetus to undertake? Still need a maxxaire vent cover for the bedroom vent installed, so I do have a hint as to what the future holds!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Bingo: is there hope for us 250 ponders to accomplish this mod?
You don't look much over 175 soaking wet.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Keith,
175 is a pretty good guess, that is my summer weight. In the winter, I balloon up to about 180 or so!! I am fortunate to be wiry enough that I could twist into the basement in such a manner as to actually maintain a sitting profile while I did the work. The hardest part was manhandling the Autoformer into position (I think it weighs around 50-60 pounds). I would venture to guess that at 250 pounds and considering the tight basement, if you are looking to install an Autoformer, there would probably be an easier place to put it. I chose this location because of the proximity to the EMS and the auto-transfer switch to minimize the wiring run. A little extra wire and you could select other locations. Keep in mind that the only real use for the Autoformer is if you happen to frequent older parks that have low voltage problems. This is also a problem at some of the larger parks we have stayed at in Myrtle. The EMS will still shut the power down to the rig if it is not in the allowable range of the EMS, the Autoformer allows us to expand that range about 10% lower than normal without affecting power to the rig. Our primary purpose is in the event the furry creatures are in the rig on a sweltering day, and we are elsewhere (Because of this feature, we do not have to report ourselves to the ASPCA........) One of these days I will figure out the auto-start on our generator which can be programmed to start the generator when it senses a power outage and allows the AC to run, then shuts the generator down when shore power returns. That is another one of this summer's projects.
Bingo
Bingo
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kab449

Bingo: is there hope for us 250 ponders to accomplish this mod?
You don't look much over 175 soaking wet.
LOL - I was thinking the same thing! There is no way I'm going to fit in the basement to do any mods. I'd have to grease up just to get in, and make it easier for the paramedics to extricate my carcass.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but what is an Autoformer, and what is it's purpose? Is that along the same lines as installing a transformer in the RV? I've seen a lot of people who put transformers in, but have never heard of an Autoformer. Thanks Trying to learn everyday.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Yes, it is basically the same thing, but the Autoformer "senses" changes and adjusts continuously and automatically. When the park voltage drops, the Autoformer compensates by boosting the voltage and dropping the amperage accordingly in compliance with the P=I*V formula where P = Power in Watts, I = Current in amps and V - voltage in Volts. The Autoformer maintains a constant wattage and when the voltage decreases, it will compensate by lowering the amperage to allow for the increase ("boost") in voltage to return the voltage back to hopefully acceptable levels (if it cannot "boost" the voltage enough, this is where an EMS (Electrical Monitoring System) is handy to shut off power to the rig before sensitive electronics are damaged. Hopefully I explained that simply enough. The Autoformer (at least the Hughes one I have) can provide about a 10% voltage "boost" with a comparable 10% decrease in amperage.
Bingo
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
That explained it perfectly. Thanks! Are the smaller inverters installed just to run small AC items when not on shore power? I.e. phone chargers, etc.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
And pray tell, where would one aquire one of those things and what do they cost approximately. Does it work in conjunction with a surge protector???
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parts Ed

And pray tell, where would one aquire one of those things and what do they cost approximately. Does it work in conjunction with a surge protector???
Any good RV store. Tweety's has a 50 amp Hughes for $612.81. Yes, can be used with surge protection.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hughes Autoformers are around $550. There are a couple of other brands available if you search the net. Hughes site is http://autoformersdirect.com/
I use mine in conjunction with a Progressive Industries hardwired 50 amp EMS. Again, these are only relevant if you frequent parks with power problems (older campgrounds and larger campgrounds). The EMS or surge guard is a necessity in my book, the Autoformer is a luxury.
Bingo
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
The autoformer is NOT a luxury with your ladies. Got to keep those hair dryers running.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Hughes Autoformers are around $550. There are a couple of other brands available if you search the net. Hughes site is http://autoformersdirect.com/
I use mine in conjunction with a Progressive Industries hardwired 50 amp EMS. Again, these are only relevant if you frequent parks with power problems (older campgrounds and larger campgrounds). The EMS or surge guard is a necessity in my book, the Autoformer is a luxury.
Bingo
The EMS or surge guard is a necessity in my book, the Autoformer is a luxury. AND NOW WE KNOW WHY THEY CALL YOU "BINGO".

Sorry Bingo, just couldn't pass it by.

Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Can someone (such as me) whose electrical knowledge consists of plugging in a extension cord , install both of the EMS and Autoformer??
Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I installed mine myself, but if you are unfamiliar with electricity then I would highly recommend that you have a certified electrician or a dealer install them. It is easy to do, but at the same time, it is easy to make mistakes and the mistakes can lead to disastrous consequences. I have posted schematics and pictures of the installation process in our previous rig as well as the EMS installation in the new rig. The threads should be easily accessible using the search function.
Bingo
Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Thanks, I will look for them.