Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sofa Bed on 3750FL shortfalls and hopeful remedy

We had quite a discussion last fall with regards to the obvious shortfalls in the design of the sofa/air bed combo that comes in the 3750FL. Some even mentioned whether an extension was needed to fully support the air mattress. Checking with Flair yielded a partial explanation that the air mattress was designed to lay long-ways on the sofa frame. After trying that one time and seeing the problems associated with it, namely that a persons feet would be close to the slide walls and in turn the window shades, I quickly reached the conclusion that I would prefer to have the air mattress laid across the frame and extending into the living room. This results in about a foot and a half of overhang for the air bed, which for a temporary fix, I was placing ottomans beneath the air bed for support. One of this Springs fixes will be to fabricate an extension for the frame which will do away with the ottoman supports. I am leaning towards a simple sheet of plywood or equivalent with folding legs and some u-type clips to attach to the existing frame of the sofa bed. There is room behind the sofa to store it with the legs folded. I will post some pictures of before and after and it should give others some ideas on making the combination more functional.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
We bought a storage ottoman and lay the mattress such that your head is at the emergency escape window and your feet pointing to the window on the opposite side of the trailer. The ottoman provides support for the foot of the mattress and storage for the bedding. I liked the ottoman idea you mentioned previously since I like a footrest when watching TV.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is exactly the way I am doing it too, Kyle. I just hate not having something more permanent.
Bingo
Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Bingo, you’re not used to working on things that don’t float in the river. Are you going to be able to follow through with this project without placing some kind of floating device on it?

On second thought I guess the “air mattress” would float.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
You might have a point there, Bill. My track record with the Autoformer install is definitely not within an acceptable time-frame. Seems like I started it last October or November and it still isn't complete. At least I did get the EMS system installed and the sink faucet replaced!!! Guess I need to go to mini-storage soon!
Bingo