Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
I'm about to put an LCD in my older Montana...

It's a 2000 Montana, 3255RL, 34 footer with the 45 degree sink coming out at the door. I'm attaching the mount above the space you climb into the camper. I've located two 3 inch studs where I'm going to attach a wood plate (12") spanning the two studs (about 17" between the studs) and then mounting another piece of wood on the span to attach the level mount which also pans down. LCD's are getting very light so I'll be under 22 lbs. Any of you do any out of the cabinet TV installations on your toys yet? Will run the HDMI cable down the former TV homes cabinet down into the basement and back up the wall to an official looking HDMI 2 x 4 plate. Same with the power.

Any warnings, etc. ??? I just can't see a downside with this as the Tv once it's tilted just a slight bit down and toward the couch seems to be in the best place it could be.

Thanks.. Gary

Guvner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You'll probably want to have some way to fasten the HD-LCD so it stays steady during travel. In an SOB I owned, I used Earthquake straps (live in California) which were very thick nylon velcro and hardware and fastened two sets of them behind the LCD so they wrapped around to the front and kept the LDC very stable during travel. But they were not HD so I saw no point using them in the Monty. For the mount I used one of those pricey metal LCD mounts that provide swing up and down and side to side to gave it plenty of flexibility for viewing. That's the only warning I have - to keep it steady during travel. Other than that, you'll love the lightweight and the picture.

One day I hope to get HD LCDs to improve my viewing pleasure. Until then it's heavy, glass tubes with low resolution viewing.

Feel free to post your pictures so we can oohh and aahh and be jealous!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Yes, please do post some photos I would love to watch this project as it comes along!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
So far I'm using a "Level Mount" mount that quickly unlocks off of its male mount that will be screwed into the wall and the LCD will most likely ride on the bed along with the smaller bedroom one while traveling. Still awaiting Black Monday or something that changes come Monday. So far I'm leaning toward a 32 inch Panasonic Viera 1080P which brags great vision from any angle and the prices are getting cheaper by the day. A month ago they were $550 or so and are now down $125 and more. The finished pine was $10, the stain about $3 and the better brush was $10. Already cut two pieces of 19 x 6 x 1 for the spanning planks. I figured I wanted at least 12 inches of biting into the two 3 inch studs with screws to spread out the weight that will eventually sit in the exact middle. Have cut the 12 x 6 x 1 for the verticle center and thickening for the Level Mount mount to be able to bite into. Staining them to match the oak cabinets in the Montana today. I'm looking around here to see how to insert pictures into the code but haven't noticed it yet but I'm sure it's here since I see pictures in other posts. The best part of my woodwork is that it's basically behind the TV and not an issue. If you start looking yourself remember to subtract the weight of the stand you won't be using and add any weight using a heavy metal stand. I saw one stand that was 27 lbs itself.

G..
Old 11-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
Just figured I'd show you guys how little these things weigh now based on the tiny little support brackets on the back of this VizioLED LCD 37 inch. This one is only a little over 1 inch thick without its stand. I've also decided there's not a lot of reasons to not put the 37 inch up since it fits fine with plenty of headroom underneath.

This one weighs in at 25 lbs.

G..
Old 11-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
Here's the mounting boards all installed above the mirror near the entrance door. As you can probably see a slight angle put on the tv mount to the left along with a tilt down where the couch/kitchen slider is and for my camper it's a really nice angle for a large screen. I will install 2 HDMI outlets and one antenna lead to the left of the mount along with a 115 volt duplex receptacle.

This is just where I'm at up to now. Pretty well decided on a 21 lb. Panasonic 32" 1080P LCD since Amazon keeps playing with the price of another one I was looking at. One time it's free shipping with no tax and the next second it's sold by target.com with sales tax and the rest. Not sure what's up with them. Sorry about the picture though as the cell phone usually does a better job.

I countersunk the holes to where the screws go in just below the surface and will fill in with plastic wood as best as I can. The screws on the far left and right on the spanners are all going into the 2 x 3 studs. The middle board going verticle is just a double up the thickness so the "Level Mount" mount will have something good to bite into. I pre-drilled all of the holes so there'd be no splitting. Everything seemed good and heard no nasty sounds as they were all shot into place. Just awaiting the mount I ordered and probably buy the TV tonight so it's on the way.

Gary..
Old 11-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Looks good Gary
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
Finished it up. When all was said and done with the shopping for a TV I went into Walmart Friday morning at 1 am with the wife as her guard. A guy came up to me and asked me where to get the tickets entitling you to a cheapo Emerson 32 inch HDTV. It was only 720P but it only cost $195 making it the cheapest LCD I had bought up to this point including the original 19 inchers. I did have to borrow some pillows and a chair and wait till 5 am but that was only about 15 minutes longer then it took my wife to finish buying presents for the immediate world. It weighed in at 19 lbs without the mount so I think I can feel good about leaving it in the campground when I'm not there.

I stuck to my guns with the "Level Mount" brand name... Here's a picture of it. It mounts to one stud or the thing I made in the previous pictures if you're after strength.

I ran two hdmi connectors along with one coax for the antenna into one box. I ran a 110 volt duplex receptacle in the other box. Attached the "Level Mount" mount and then attached the TV to the bayonet like connector for the "Level Mount". I'm putting an extra mount in my weight room downstairs so I will be a little more inclined to exercise this winter. Not sure I like carrying the TV back and forth or not yet but it's now an option since I've given it two homes. Here's a couple pictures of the final deal.

and

Some of you asked me if I'd post this if I did it so I'm doing that. I would have moved that mirror but it was apparently liquid nailed down from what I could see. I like centered much better but didn't get the choice. The TV is slightly tilted down and to the slide with the couch on it. The left side rocking chair gets it nicely too. All the dish and DVD playing stuff is in my original entertainment center. My antenna is going through the outside shower which I wouldn't dream of using anyway along with the twin Dish connectors which will hook up to my outside dish. I attached all the wiring that went from underneath the cabinet over to where the TV is now in the basement with conduit supports. I may make a little improvement on the part you can see looking down your hamper door by covering it with that split plastic PVC you see on cars and boats. Other then that it's pretty done.

Thanks for all the help with my camper too...

Gary
Old 11-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

That’s a great looking job!
It looks like it belongs there.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
Thanks... Except for the liquid nailed down mirror. I unbolted it thinking I could center it only to find out that it was a permanent part of the Montana where it was.

Gary