Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
free optimizer, cleaner and antivirus software.

I posted the following in the cellphone MIFI response to a request for help.

I believe this could help many if not all of us here with computer issues in general.

I didn't intend to double post but I figured this deserved its own topic.

This works with Windows7 and WindowsXP as well

Try downloading this cleaner from cnet.com. They are a trusted computer industry company.

Their web site is http://www.cnet.com/

Here is the link to the cleaner for your computer which is free and quite frankly the best free one I have found.

From CNET:
"This utility offers a one-stop-shop for cleaning and maintaining your computer for better overall system performance. The interface is very simple, featuring only a few buttons, which makes it easy to get down to cleaning immediately (in fact, it automatically runs on start-up) and doesn't confuse you with multiple steps."

I have only been using it for a month and a half and I am completely happy with it. With over 46 million people that have downloaded it. 4 star reviews by both CNET and over 8 thousand individual great reviews. Well I have downloaded it 4 times myself for various systems.

Once you have it installed there are 3 bubbles to select. The software will ask you to make a restore point (click yes) it and will do this for you automatically (good insurance on their and your part).

You can click on the Center bubble (care) and it will do things automatically for you OR you can do it by the numbers below.

1. I normally start with the right bubble called Diagnose System. Two clicks and some time for coffee and it will fix your system right up.
1a. Spyware Removal
1b. Registry Fix
1c. Privacy Sweep
1d. Junk Files Clean

2. Then do the top bubble maintain windows. Two clicks again and your system will be faster.
2a. System Optimazation
2b. Security Defense
2c. Disk Defragment
2d. Security Analyzer

3. The bottom bubble has some links to external applications and this is up to you if you want to download (I haven't tried most of them so I can not say which ones are worth the time and effort) I do recommend the tuneup internet booster though. Select the One Megabyte seems to provide me with the best throughput. Experiment with the settings for your ISP/connection speed.
3a. Internet Booster
3b. Smart RAM

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Sy...-10407614.html

IF you are in need for an antivirus program http://www.avast.com FREE for home and educational use.
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-...-10019223.html

From CNET page:
"Avast Free 5, an A-list freeware antivirus app, provides the same steadfast protection of well-known, pricier antivirus programs. Avast is remarkable for both its effectiveness and arguably providing the most complete free antivirus on the market."
This has been downloaded 110 million times. I have been using it for over 7 years and am completely happy with it. YOU do have to fill out the registration form (within 30 days)and input the serial # they email you

best of luck with your computer problem.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Thanks - loaded the software and cleaned up my messed up machine - works great now! Thanks again!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Been running Avast for years. Great anti-virus software.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Steve after everything you and betty have done. I'm glad I could help you out in some way.

Catch you at a CG some time.
I'm hoping to make the NErally this year after the 3 year hiatus I unfortunately had to take.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Thanks for the information!! I downloaded system Care and cleaned up a bunch of crap.

Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thank you for the link, I have a better laptop now.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote