Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave-- Stop in and tell Paula Dean "Hi" for me will you!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #22
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
I have the same tire problem. After trying to find an alignment shop without success and finding out a new axle would be around $450 (axle, shipping, labor to pull off the hubs/brakes/etc from the old and putting them on the new, and mounting it all), I've opted for new tires.

The end result is that I'm not sure the axle is causing the problem. It could be the tire or the wheel or the axle or the spindle. I do not want to spend that much money to fix something that might not be broken.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #23
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave most of your large Truck repair shop have the ability to do re-alignment. I think its probably alignment, but you also had the tire failure and its possible there could be damage to the spindle, but I really don't thing thats the problem. I'm sure you have checked the shackels???? But I can assure if you just replace the tire before you fix the problem, your just wasting your money. I have seen this same problem on the Alko axles, and several on this forum have replaced the Alco axles. Good Luck Dave. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:51 AM   #24
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Lindy, the tire failure was on the opposite side of the rig, and shackles are torqued to 75 lbs. The only thing I can think of that may have bent the spindle would be the R/R crossing I bounced over in Wisconsin shen I broke my ladder. I had no intention of getting another tire till I have had the alignment done. I am also going to have the tire looked at very closely too...Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #25
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Took the rig to the alignment shop today, the rear axle is in fact bent and we had about 1/2 inch out of true. After repeated bending we got it down to about 1/4 inch but the main alignment bay was occupied so we were in an adjacent bay and all he could use there was portable hydraulics. After Christmas we will go back and get it finished up. He didn't charge me for anything since it isn't finished. He quoted 150.00 for the whole job. Hopefully we can get back to true but it may end up getting replaced. I will call Dexter tomorrow and talk to them and see what options I have... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:48 AM   #26
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
If anyone has axle or any suspension problems and are in central Pa.I've used Seger's 86 ducky ln, morrisdale,pa 814-345 6611. they replaced my rear axle with a new one for $75 dexter sent them an axle under warranty. this year they replaced my ball joints on a 03 f250 6.0L with after market federated wet ball joints for $470 when my ford dealer wanted $1300 w/dry stock ones. his second business is making or repairing radiators for dozers and mining equip @ $5k to $20k these guys also work on state highway trucks very good work and reasonable.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:59 AM   #27
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
this was the second Montana I owed w/axle problems that they repaired. They can heat and bend any axle but don't like to do it because they feel even though its a reasonable fix it causes more harm than good.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote