Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Replaced Locks on Basement

How many MOCers have replaced the standard locks on their basements? I am looking into doing it even though I have never had any thing taken from the Monty with in storage or during use while parked. Just thought I would ask.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Many will tell you not to bother, cause you can break into those storage doors with a screw driver. CountryGuy is saving his $$ and his time, the 751's will just have to do.

Others will tell you they sure rest better at night having changed them.

Have you tried a Search??? Know this subject has been covered a couple of times, more or less!

(Disclaimer: I have not tried the Search in a while, have no idea how well it is behaving these days!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

How many MOCers have replaced the standard locks on their basements? I am looking into doing it even though I have never had any thing taken from the Monty with in storage or during use while parked. Just thought I would ask.
It's most difficult to lock the basement doors short of using a hasp and padlock. Even with the best of latch locks, the doors can be sprung open with a screwdriver.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I really believe that locking the basement is just a waste of time and money. One 6" screwdriver opens all storage doors. And the cost of replacing the doors will cost much more than what we keep in our basement. The most expensive thing in our basement is the Air compressor. Its almost impossible to stop a thief. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

I changed all of mine to tubular locks, even the non-locking latches. I also put them on the outside stabilizer switch hatch door, the water fill door, and the outside room selector manifold door, and the propane bottle doors. 14 locks in all. It is a bit of a PITA this way as you have to lock at least one them to keep the door shut, but this way they can't just open a non-locking latch on one corner and just tweak the door to reach in. They would have to use a pry bar to force it open. One of my next projects is to use a router to add another elongated hole to each door for one of the non-locking latches, so I can keep them closed without having to lock them each time, if I want to.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
We replaced all the locks with combination locks from the local RV dealer. Not so much for security but I never seemed to have the key with me and that eliminated that problem. Also it probably keeps curious youngsters from gaining easy access. Agree there is not much security in any lock on the basement doors. I would also claim there is not much security with the lock on the main coach door either.

The two locks (regular and dead bolt) on our main door use the same key. Also we have had several motorhomes from a major manufacturer and there, unless you used the dead bolt lock, there were something like 15 keys for all the doors in the entire coach line. Did not believe it but at a major rally about 12 of us got together and found that our keys would open 9 of the coaches using someone elses key. Convinced us that we really needed to use the dead bolt lock for any kind of security.

Dean
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We lock the doors to keep them from coming open in transit. Put any lock you wish on the doors and I will be in the compartment in short order. The lock is not the problem..the door is the problem.You can poke though them with a screwdriver
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Susantr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6813
We changed out one of the thumb latches on each of the propane doors, simply because they seemed to wiggle loose and the door was in danger of flapping in the wind as we drove down the road. DH is thinking abour replacing all of them just so he doesn't have to carry 2 or 3 keys...
Susantr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yep, I can pop those doors in about five seconds with a screwdriver. I had to do it on mine once when the lock broke in the locked position. It didn't even damage the door.

Susantr, I am not positive so please doublecheck this but I thought it is illegal to have locked doors on propane compartments. Something about having to get to them to shut them off in case of a fire or some such situation. I'm not positive, as I said, but I was told that by a dealer when I mentioned I might lock those doors for the same reason as you.

Also, Susantr, I don't know what year your Montana is. The newer ones have fixed this, or at least our 2007 has. But on our 2003 and 2001 Montanas, both the upper and lower locks were set up so the locking bar moved downward to unlock. Thus, vibration on the road could jiggle them free and cause the door to open. I actually had that happen a couple of times. The solution is to open the door, remove one of the bars off a lock, turn the lock handle 90 degrees, then reinstall the bar so it has to move UPWARD to unlock. That solves the problem. It worked for me.

I mentioned this to Coleman Davis a few years ago and he thought it a good idea. Our 2007 came from the factory with one of them reversed like this and we've had no problem with those doors coming open on the road. I don't know if the even newer ones still do that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I like the idea of putting an alarm system on them instead of changing the locks. It will get a lot more attention.
One MOC member has an alarm system I am trying to remember who but think they were at the NE Rally.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:49 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You can purchase those small motion activated alarms most anywhere. Hang them on a door, compartment, window and when the door is moved the alarm is activated. It is @ 120db alarm.. They are inexpensive and effective. However a strong wind and a shaking camper will set them off so you need to experiment.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I changed all the compartment locks on our trailer. Not for the reasons stated, but the propane tank doors didn't have locks, and rather than carry an extra key, I replaced them all with locks keyed the same. Yeah, I'm lazy...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I wondered about locks, or lack of, on the propane doors and reasoned for safety anyone, especially fireman, need access at any time to close the tank valves. I can see the other side, theft but I guess a locking chain could remedy that.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Years ago I had to protect a TT we used as a laboratory. I purchased an IR alarm at Radio Shack and installed the siren speaker to the frame underneath the TT. The transmitter sat on a table and was positioned so that motion by the windows would not set it off, but entry would. Trust me, this made a heck of a racket. It would reset itself after a short period of time. Any initial noise like that will deter a thief. They don't need the attention and will vacate the area pretty fast. Of course, by this time they have broken in, but your stuff is safe. Now all you have to do is replace the door.

Now, any professional theif is going to look for outside wires to alarm systems. They will also look for battery wires. They will cut all wires they see. The alarm system may be rendered inoperable, and you will still have to replace the door.

Just have fun and don't think it is going to happen to you.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I like the idea of some kind of an alarm but for me, it would have to be some kind of mechanical alarm specific to opening a door. A motion alarm could be set off by anyone moving around the rig.

I have also heard that propane doors are not locked for safety reasons but the other doors could use an alarm sensor. It would have to be set up so it is difficult to set off accidently.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Changing the lock would mean that you are the only person in the campground that can't borrow the neighbors key to get into the compartments.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Just ask the neighbor for a 6" screwdriver. According to some of the experienced thieves that have posted in this topic, that's all you need... LOL
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #18
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Locks keep honest people honest. S&W can take care of the dishonest ones
Jack
Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #19
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Jack,

That's why I put tubular locks on the Monty, have a S&W 5906 with one in the pipe and 15 more behind it on the night stand, and have dogs. Three security systems is far superior to just one. Oh wait, then there's the scare light on the remote. The dogs help me out a lot though, otherwise I would probably sleep through WWIII, if it were to happen.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #20
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I wondered about locks, or lack of, on the propane doors and reasoned for safety anyone, especially fireman, need access at any time to close the tank valves. I can see the other side, theft but I guess a locking chain could remedy that.
Cheers,
I didn't think bout the safety factor, but you're right. I put them on after a friend had his tanks stolen at a rest stop.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote