Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I WUV my Ford

F350 6.0L King Ranch, Crew Cab, Long Bed with towing package.

Well, I have had to have some repairs, like "Fuel Injector Module," for $1500, but today I was cruisin' down I-81 and I patted the steering wheel and said, "Good girl!" The hills of PA, WV, VA have been pretty trying on the old gal, but she held her head and cruised along.

I had her set to 62mph. No reason, I just like it there. Handles well at that speed - in my mind. On some of the long grades, she slowed down to 59 mph, and just kept chugging, passing cars and 18 wheelers on some of the grades. She done good.

I run in "Tow Haul," mode whenever I'm towing. That is the neatest thing since peanut butter.

I do have a question for any other Ford owners who have Tow Haul. Do you run in Tow Haul when pulling, or do you just turn it on when you think you need it? Are there harms or benefits to using or not using when pulling?

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We run T/H when pulling all the time. We however do NOT use cruise and T/H simultaneously most of the time.. IMO they fight one another, T/H tries to find the proper gear for the conditions and cruise attempts to keep it at a set speed. That results in downshifting, high RPM's and High boost. I prefer to control those parameters even if it means reducing speed on moderate to steep grades.... T/H and cruise can be used together on fairly level roads. Just my experience.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Like Rich, I use T/H when pulling (sometimes just for fun blowing off little cars). Just kidding about the little cars. I also do not use cruise while towing. The rev meter tries to twist the dial off. When I first drove in T/H, I told my DW, "Finally, an automatic that thinks like I do!". I refrain from not using T/H while towing because the softer shifts may slip the tranny too much. This is just MHO, no real data on it. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I use T/H all the time towing , but never use cruse when towing , i want full control all the time ,, i love T/H sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Don't know about Ford, but GM says to use the T/H when the GCW is 75% or greater than the GCWR.

As for the cruise...it's designed to be used with or without the T/H and works great.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I use T/H anytime I got the Monty on my tail. I do worry a bit about how it determines "drag" when I lean on the brakes...sometimes when I see the tac go over 3.5k I release it as I'm not into over rev'ing the engine.
Cruise control is only used on those long flat runs when my foot starts to ache...most of the time we like to be in full control with all this "stuff" we are hauling.
Here I sit in Wells, Maine...raining outside...but "camping" is still fun!!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I use it whenever I tow, even surge brake trailers like the boat or U-haul equipment.

No fighten back on warranty for that module?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:00 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Always in tow mode when towing and use CC whenever I can!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Like most others, I always use T/H when the Monty is behind. And I use cruise when on relatively flat roads and it works great.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:00 AM   #10
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I use T/H when towing, and CC on HWY. I do not use CC in Mt. passes of the Cascades. My friend with same truck and Monty doesn't use CC and I get 1 to 2 MPG better when we tow together.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, I also have used TH when hauling. Occasionally I'll forget to engage it when we stop for gas, but I'll normally notice it after a few or several miles and engage it.

I use CC all the time. Just came up Cumberland and Knoxville with some pretty good grades. Had CC set to 62. Most it dropped to was 59. So far I don't see any problems with it and I think it's a matter of personal choice. My choice is due to some arthritis in my ankle and the CC relieves that.

Thanks for the replies.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote