Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2007, 04:41 AM   #1
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
HOW TO LEVEL

I know this has been talked before but cant find, I have a 3400 trying to level is driving me nuts. there is little floor not carpeted to put a level on. and it shows level, but I still think it is out of level. tub dont drain good tanks dont drain good Is there another way to check a place on the monty I can put my level and be sure is level.

Bob

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 AM   #2
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bob,

Measuring level inside is tough. I suggest you first level from side to side. We use one of those levels that attaches to the pin box. http://tinyurl.com/ywayre

Before unhooking, we level both wheels on one side of the 5er to get it to level. Now, you don't know where that is, so I suggest until you get one of those level units for the pin box, measure side-to-side level on the rear window, and double check it at the lip of the pin box. Those lips are pretty close.

Now, after unhooking, front to back level is achieved by a 4-foot level on the counter where the kitchen sink is located.

After purchasing the above level, you should "set" it by moving the level screws to where it shows level....this is the level that "feels good" to you. We have used the mounted level for a long time, and are real happy with the way "level" is inside.

Hope this helps.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
All good advice. After leveling with a large level I placed a smaller one on the front and one on the side near the storage compartment where the front jack switch is. The Jumbo level is nice in that you can see it from inside the truck. We had one and it drove me nuts as it works opposite to the bubble levels I am used to using.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:26 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Charlie, You are right about it driving me nuts, one of those left/right brain problems....I still have to turn around and look at the ball level to be sure.

Slightly off subject, the hook-up memory level is one of our favorite additions. After getting the gap between the 5th wheel and the hitch, and before pulling forward, we set the memory level. When we hook back up, we just move the stabilizer legs until the memory level is level. No need to guess about the height when hooking up to the truck.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Thanks for the Info, I have a small level on the side by the cargo door that the leg switch is in that levels front to rear and swings out to level side to side with the memory set to where it was when you unhook. Iam not sure if it is installed level. Ill do as you suggest and use the front lip of the pin box and the rear windo and see, it may be Ok and just feel out to me. I may need to get one of those large levels as you have.

Thanks
Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I took our Monty to the high school football parking lot which is pretty level. I put a 4' level pointed front to back on the uncarpeted floor and circled the lot until I found a spot where the level bubble showed perfectly level. Then attached a fairly large level to the outside of the camper just above the door where my switch for my jacks is located. Then I pointed the level side to side and circled the lot again until again the bubble showed to be perfectly level. Then I attached another level to the front of the camper that I can see out the back window. Now when I park, I can watch the level thru the back window for leveling side to side. Then unhitch and watch the level above the switch for front to back leveling. Once that is done mine looks and "feels" level and everything drains fine.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #7
Bogeyplus
Established Member

M.O.C. #7610
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Bob,

Measuring level inside is tough. I suggest you first level from side to side. We use one of those levels that attaches to the pin box. http://tinyurl.com/ywayre

Hoefully it works better than the review it got on the website the link takes us to. Have you had any of the same problems? I was thinking of getting one of these.
Bogeyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you put a level at 5 different points inside the camper you will most likely get 5 different reading. None of our counters are level. Use a pin box level as it is on the frame and the frame MIGHT be stright.Of course the trick is to get the level..level..when you can't hardly find a level spot in the camper.Helen used a golf ball on the floor(not the carpet) and took a average.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I think indirectly we all do about the same thing.

Level in a 5er is at best a compromise, the trick is finding that easy way of getting to YOUR compromised level.

Bogeyplus, yes, the review is bad, but if you look at what most people use, you will see that model is used the most. Remember, that you adjust and set that level AFTER you are satisfied with your "level".
Old 12-03-2007, 06:33 AM   #10
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
After I am level using a level on the counter tops I open the fridg. door and the medicine cabinet door and check to see if they swing either direction then I fine tune the level position until the doors stay open--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
No matter how you level, the most important thing is to level side to side first. Once that is finished, you can easily do the front to back level.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

If you put a level at 5 different points inside the camper you will most likely get 5 different reading. None of our counters are level. Use a pin box level as it is on the frame and the frame MIGHT be stright.Of course the trick is to get the level..level..when you can't hardly find a level spot in the camper.Helen used a golf ball on the floor(not the carpet) and took a average.
HA! Rich exactly my thoughts. Get the floor level, the counter top is off, get it level, the stove is off, get it level the fridge is off. I get it close and don't worry about it. Way these things flex when traveling down the road, a little unlevel ain't nothing to worry about. Just my opinion.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I put a level on the aluminum (fore and aft) tubbing in the basement to get the side to side level. As stated their is not many places that give an accurate and similar reading. You stated the shower and tanks do not drain. I guess I would find the best average where the drains work well and the doors main and cupboards work properly. At this point you can mount the tong big bubble level. I found my tong or pin hitch was not level compared to the trailer so all is relevant. Then you work the fore and aft level as you described.
Best of luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If you're confused as to which side to put boards on, observe your front level. The side to which the ball points to is the low side. That's the side where you place the boards. I'm of the opinion that if your refrigerator is in the back you need to be accurate side to side. If your refrigerator is on the side, then you need to be accurate front to back. When I say "accurate" I mean within one-half bubble. I include a bubble level (a little round one from Camping World) inside the refrigerator and use that as my final guide. The reason I'm finicky about the refrigerator front to back is that we lost a refrigerator once when we were more than a bubble off front to back. We had been traveling and I turned the refrigerator on propane and promptly forgot. The rig sat for several hours VERY unlevel front to back and damaged the refrigerator. Just my experience.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #15
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
I like Robbie's method and will pick up one of those levels this week at CW. Leveling front and back have never been a problem for me. It is leveling the side that has been a bit@h! Once on the old TT I spent 45 minutes to no avail trying to level that puppy. DW can always tell how much off level the trailer is when she is cooking and the fluids favor one side.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

The side to which the ball (or bubble) points to is the low side. That's the side where you place the boards. Orv
Unless I'm reading this backwards, the opposite to what you say is the way to level. The side the bubble goes is the high side, so the boards go under the opposite wheels. No??
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #17
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
On the level that are on the pin box it is not a bubble but a ball that goes to the low side.
JT's RV accessories is making a electronic leveling system and it could be ready now.
http://www.jtrv.com/our_products.html
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #18
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
If your bubble is on the left of the scale put your boards under the right side. Remember bubble one side - boards on other side.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We use a torpedo level on the kitchen floor right in front of the refer. DW does this while I sit in TV. She then directs me to pull up on boards she places in front of or behind tires. Once side to side is done, front to back is, of course, done with the landing gear up front. Piece of cake. We try not to stress over being perfect, just VERY close.......Too many other things to worry about, like who's playing tonight and will I get the sat signal in ok......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:41 PM   #20
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Has anyone ever noticed that near perfect leveling job done yesterday, is no longer very level today? It seems like my 3400 often seems to settle a little to the roadside - perhaps because of the 3 slides on that side. Perhaps its a little less wine today, or a little more, or something . . .
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote