Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We made it!

The drive from San Antonio was uneventful, into a headwind of course. I am disappointed in my mileage, compared to our old ‘06 Diesel, but we did have almost everything we owned packed in the Montana and truck.
We pulled into Isla Blanca Park on Padre Island around 5:00. That is where things spiraled downward.
I have planned all Summer how we wanted to park the rig, how we are to landscape the property, all was fresh in my mind.
I swung onto Turner street, drove up to the shower-restroom building, backed into the parking area, and turned into the drive so we could back the last 150’ or so. We were able to pull right into our spot that way.
This is where the problems began. We have concrete strips to drive onto, and park the rig on. I wanted to hug the far left side, then the drivers side of the trailer would be on concrete stepping stone squares. This action would maximize the concrete patio. I pulled up, stopped, put the squares where the dual wheels would rest, we pulled forward and right on the squares. I got out and looked, all was well, except when looking along the trailer, it was not lined up with the side of the concrete strip exactly. I should have lived with it…..
The water line came out of the ground to my left fairly close, I didn’t want to swing the truck into it, so I had little maneuvering room. Back and forth I went for 30 minutes. Sue was behind me with a 2 way radio so I wouldn’t back over some lady and her Poodle.
There was a delivery service bleeding on our frequency, dispatch was trying to get them to the Shrimp boat for a delivery. Sue kept asking me what I said, as I was going forward, backwards, swinging the truck. I told her that was not me talking. I finally managed to get the truck stuck in the fine white sand, between the concrete strips. I don’t mean the tires are spinning stuck, I mean the rear axel is touching stuck……
Our neighbor behind us, Juan, came over and offered his help, by now we have a pretty good audience. His wife and child are sitting on our picnic table, the people way in front of us are standing there with their hands on their hips, the guy next to us has his lawn chair facing us, and the new people are stuck.
Juan got in front of my truck and we put my two tow straps on our trucks, (His was a Ford, thank goodness….) The truck and Monte came right out. I thought I would try one more time to get it just right. Juan was giving me directions out the passenger window: ”Turn your wheels right, no I mean left!” Sue was asking me what I said on the radio, the dispatcher was giving directions to for the Shrimp boat delivery truck, and the lawn chair guy was telling me he has been coming here for 4 years, and that isn’t the way he would do it….. I just laid my head on the steering wheel in defeat. I asked the lawn chair to give me a minute to think, as I had 4 people in my ear. He turned his chair around in disgust. I thought, well I made him mad, nice move. I told Juan I really needed to do this myself, and told Sue just to listen and see if the parts made it to the shrimp boat…… I pulled back, and up on the concrete strips where I should have pulled in the first place.
I got out of the truck, walked around back. A guy walked up the street and asked “Are you the guy that backed all the way up the street?” and laughed… I thought about asking him how he keeps that small Black toupee on his big melon sized bald head in the wind, but I didn’t, I just answered Yes, that was me…..
It is now 7:02 in the morning, the pelicans are flying by in formation, the Sea Gulls are squawking at each other on the light pole, the cool ocean breeze is blowing the Palm trees to and fro, and I can see the waves breaking on the beach.
Yep, it was worth it.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Amazing that none of that "stuff" matters much the next day, isn't it? We're anxious to see your landscaping when you're done.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
You are a patient man my friend, I would've blown a gasket about the time the lawnchair man piped in.

Glad you guys made it there safely, now you can sit back and enjoy.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
Ahhhhh, been there, done that...and probably will be there again, right along with you. After a while, the humor in the story can be seen. Mr. Murphy and his law ride right along with anyone backing into a tight spot, unless, of course, no one is watching. In that case, the maneuver goes without error. Enjoy your time there, wish we were right along with you. Thanks for the well-told story.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Why do we have to line'em up so perfect. I am the same way. I attribute that to many years of installing equipment. And the audience. Don't they know that makes us apt to screw up worse. We went for our morning walk, and some one from OK pulled in near us in a Tana. We walked by and got the "hell out of Dodge". I know how nervous I get with someone watching.

Anyway, glad y'all had a safe trip. Did I ever say, "welcome back to TX"? Have a couple cold ones to sooth the nerves.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,

I thought we were the only ones who had such troubles. We've been in the very same situation several times. Maybe your story will rub off on a few others and they will find something else to do while others get setup.

Sorry for your troubles.

Ok, time for a kewl one.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
That was rather amusing to a guy that drives a 2 wheel drive truck, or is it a 4 wheel drive truck since it's a dually.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
OZZ:
It's such a treat to read the experiences that you have. I had this happen when we went to Florida last spring. I was backing the long block to a back in site with a wooden patio deck. I was reading your story and setting here laghing out loud. I printed it off so my wife could read it as I know she will get a big laugh out of it.
Glad you and Sue arrived safely at your retreat. Keep us posted...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Take solis in the fact that if your neighbors were having a bad day you probably cheered them up. Glad you arrived safely and got set up- even after a fashion.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Gotta love an audience...lol...we never did it that way...sounds like someone I work with.
When I get in that gotta get it just right mode my wife just stands back and watches for trees.
Entertaining post bud...most of us have been there. I haven't buried my truck yet, but soft sand just might do it.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Ozz as always I support your goals. I on the other hand would have had a hard time keeping my cool. I'm getting better as others tell me. Congrads on not loosing yours.
Chuck
PS here's to a great time in Padre, keep the adventure coming.
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Ozz I've got a question. If you have a backup camera why have others giving yu directions? (I don't have a backup camera)
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ahhhh, yes Northern New Jersey, Pleasant Acres. Arrived with my old TT towin' with a F150 Ford Passenger van, Wife, Daughter #1, Son, Daughter #2, her Friend...late at night...checked in, assigned sites, drove around campground loop, stopped walked into tricky area that required backing in...backed forever with bunch of permanent campers "hanging out" watching my misery...finally after my #2 Daughter's friend got sick; gave up, went back to check-in, unhappy with assigned site and provided new site; along open field...BUT hookups are not complete so needs long hose to hook up to water!
Pulled up, backed in...did a quick walk around and discovered trailer sinking into new back filled site!! Yikes, jumped into van and pulled back out aligned perpendicular to site and considered it done. Spent weekend and never went back...Thank goodness no damage done just worn out from late nite, young kids but a chapter in the adventures of our life.
Some people have nothing better to do but enjoy the misery of others...yet there are some that come to our aid without asking and never expect compensation. The later are blessed by those they help.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #14
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Ozz, you are a true HVAC guy, with all the people you have had looking over your shoulder you still kept your cool and managed to get into your spot and enjoy your next day. I will bet $$$ you had a cool one when you got un-hooked.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #15
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Ozz,
I think your just wrote a scene for the upcoming "RV II." Get an agent and call the producers!
I am so glad I am not the only one so anal retentive about positioning my rig just exactly the way I want it reguardless of what everyone else says.
Enjoy your winter yard!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Just 3 days ago I got he&& from a 5th wheel driver friend of mine for NOT helping him back in. Trouble was I was heading over to help him but when I saw 6 others waving left, waving right, back up, stop and 2 that I wasn't sure what they were doing AND ALL at the same time I turned around and went back to my rig.

BTW-3 of those "helpers" drove class A's and one lives in a park model. Not sure about the other 2.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:19 AM   #17
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Funny story, Ozz. Most of us have been there. I guess I'll never learn that everything doesn't have to be lined up perfectly. Must be a male ego thing.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 AM   #18
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
That is OK Ozz, now you are enjoying the good life down there in the warm weather. It was 26 here yesterday morning.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:36 AM   #19
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I know that it was far from funny as it was happening, but I was laughing through the whole story. You can really make your adventures come alive. Glad you arrived safely and that it was all worth it. Enjoy!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote