Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2006, 05:42 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
50 amp versus 30 amp

Why would 50 amp hookup cost more than 30 amp? Seems more & more campgrounds are charging extra for 50 am service!

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Because they can....if you are using the extra appliances and use the 50amp you should have to pay more. If you are not using an extra A/C or the W/D they should not charge extra if you use only 30A service.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I agree with Charlie.

If one uses more power, one should pay for the added power.

There are RV parks, (not the one we’ve been staying at for months,) that will have you buy your own electricity while staying for a season. (We’re going to stay in one this upcoming winter.) I can understand the reasoning, even if I find it to be just a bit of a hassle. But for overnighters, a park would be silly to not make sure they’re reimbursed according to the campers’ preferences. I’m guessing that 20-Amp service may even be less than 30 in some places. With the cost of power escalating with the price of oil, it’s a pretty good bet that more RV parks will be considering doling out power for a surcharge of sorts, according to the campers’ wishes.

Wouldn’t surprise me to find that this Alabama park will start charging more for 50 than it does for 30 by the time we make it back here, if things don’t change for the better, oil-wise. http://ozarktravelpark.com/

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Steve-
Not meaning to totally disagree with your statement about the oil companies, but the price of oil has little to do with the pricing of electricity. Most electricity comes from power plants that are fueled by coal, natural gas, atomic energy, or hydro electric. Of the four listed, natural gas is closest tied to oil, but is not a component (without getting technical in chemistry) that is produced from oil even though it is produced from a well that is drilled into the earth similarly as an oil well. The close association is made from the fact that most major oil companies are also highly involved in NG & NGL production.

As witnessed last summer during the hurricane season many natural gas and oil wells in the Gulf of Mexico were shut down because of two major storms and much of this production has not come back on line as of yet. The best I remember after the storms natural gas spiked from $5/KCF to near $14/KCF. Shortly after this spike electricity also jumped from about 12 cents/KW to near or more than
15 cents/KW.

Since last fall, natural gas production off shore has began to resume and the price has stabilized and decreased into the $6-7/KCF range and electricity has stayed the same as it was last fall after the increase. This is another case of "because they can" increase rates and get away with it.

Not only are the oil companies reaping huge profits, but the energy companies are doing the same and so far only ENRON has been caught in illegal activities.

Thus said, this brings the issue to the CG owners and the charge that is passed on to the camper. As you said, lots of CG owners are providing meters at the campsite and charging according to use, but the overnighters have to pay differently, some CG's are charging more if a camper uses an A/C or electric heater.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I can run both my a/c's on 30amp service (as long as nothing else but the fridge is running). If parks are going to charge more for 50amp vs. 30 amp, I will take the 30. The park I am staying at now has a flat monthly rate for those of us who stay 5 or more months. Includes everything for one price, they do not care which plug you plug into.

Now the thing that really ticks me off is these parks that are "55 and older". If I can afford to pay, I should be able to stay. Especially if I have the same coach as many of the "other" folks have. I think 3/4 of the parks in AZ, TX, FL and CA are all this way.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Being 63 I appreciate having the 55+ parks for us old geezers. In the states you mentioned us 55+ folks are their bread and butter. We are the folks that stay in those parks for extended stays of up to 6 months and more during the winter months.
We have raised our children and we don't care to be raising someone else's. Like yourself, there are many many less than 55 folks that don't have kids or manage to control the kids they do have. It's the minority of these less than 55ers that could care less what their brats are doing. The parents have absolutely no control over them and are thrilled that they are pissing off the other residents and not at home bothering them. They find it easier to just let them run wild than to raise them properly. It is these same kids that are harassing the 55+ group. They steal their bicycles, destroy their properties and just plain misbehave. They are rowdy and noisy and have absolutely no respect for their elders. Someday when you become a 55+ you'll have a better understanding of where we are coming from.

As far as extra for 50 AMP, that's the way it should be. If you're using more electric with 2 A/C's or a W/D than you should pay more. I am glad that I have one of the last Montys built with just 30 AMP. The parks we wintered in do not have a flat rate for electric and for that I am glad. They all charge for the actual electric used. In fact in most Florida parks we have electic meters at our sites and you pay the electric company directly. Much the same way we did in our stick house. Those parks that have a flat rate just inflate their site rates to cover the cost and everyone pays the same rate. If you are a heavy electric user you come out ahead. If, like us, you don't use a lot electric you end up getting the shaft.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Charlie,

I just find the “price of oil” to be very indicative of so many other things in an economy like ours that runs on oil. Perhaps I threw that in there to save words by adding all possibilities. (I know many will thank me! ) While the reasons, (and their validity,) behind increasing electric bills remain pretty well protected by the “folks in charge,” (often hidden by double-speak,) increasing energy, (all forms of energy,) prices are most often reflected by higher electric bills for all. (Does anyone have wind-powered electricity to compare prices? It wouldn’t surprise me to hear those bills have increased as well.)

While storms may have more recently allowed providers some cover for increasing prices, sometimes it’s been fires in refineries. More recently, fear of terrorists. None of us can fix those situations. Politicians don’t seem wont to do so. And the brunt of that dang “because they can” stuff has yet to really hit us. Recent talking head shows are portending that we’re due to see a surge in inflation, once the full effects of increased fuel prices are no longer being absorbed by many a manufacturer and supplier!

The fact remains that if you use more power, you can expect to pay more. Individual CGs,’ policies on how to divine the figures may vary. I haven’t dealt with all of them, yet. I recall at at least one CG telling them that I intended to use my heater. And in another, my A/C. But I do wonder if they have A/C or Heater “Police” at those CGs, checking in to see if you’re “cheating?”

If I ran a CG, I’d probably charge only according to desired amperage. It’s hard enough to trust fellow dog owners to scoop after their pets, no matter how adamantly they agree to those terms when signing in, or passing by the various reminder signs around dog walking areas. Because of all the other dogs’ doo I’ve picked up over time, (preferably before my dogs found it,) I know that not everyone is good for their word. So I can’t imagine some being trusted to not surreptitiously flip on a heater or A/C if the temperatures dictate!

Steve

Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks Glenn,
I know you are correct, but it still ticks me off. All the "upscale" parks seem to be 55+. I dont want to deal with the little brats either. LOL! I know some day I too can enjoy the benefits that come along with being experienced. =)
Sorry did not mean to hijack the thread.

I have noticed while surfing the net looking for different rv parks, many charge more for 50amp service. I also noticed that parks are now charging for the size of your sight or the location of the site within the park. More for rv's that are over 30' and even more for those over 35', and now more for a site that has a view of some kind? When is it going to stop??
Old 06-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Glenn,

Agree totally with your assessment of "some people's kids!"

Gotta watch out, though, for the grandparents who let their grandkids visit them in "55 or older CGs," too!

We’re “dog people.” Because there are so many who have dogs and do what you’ve pointed out so many do with kids, we’ve faced discrimination at some CGs, ourselves. But, because we’ve seen what some of the rule abusers have wrought, we understand why some CGs just don’t want to deal with dog owners.

And, to be fair, just as we’re responsible dog owners, we realize that many parents, (and grandparents,) are responsible, as well, and just have to cope with some discrimination.

Can’t say much about complaints about “over 55” CGs, myself. I’ve been over 55 for a couple of years, now. So the whippersnappers will just have to deal with it.

Steve
Old 06-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #10
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky
I have noticed while surfing the net looking for different rv parks, many charge more for 50amp service. I also noticed that parks are now charging for the size of your sight or the location of the site within the park. More for rv's that are over 30' and even more for those over 35', and now more for a site that has a view of some kind? When is it going to stop??
When people stop paying for the privileges.

Watched a show on the Travel Channel, not long ago, about totally expensive RV Parks. I, myself, wouldn't pay a dime to visit any of them. Most were way too gawdy and tacky for my taste. But there are still a great many people who simply wish to show off.

D'Oh! Here I am, proudly owning a Monty, and talking about OTHER PEOPLE "showing off!"

Sorry.

Steve
Old 06-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #11
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I seen one place in Old Town, FL that charges for 50 amp service if your RV is 33 foot or more! This happen to us last year...35 ft TT with 30 amp & we had to pay an extra $2.00 for service we never used!
Only had one A/C & no W/D.

Lambchop
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Factor in that those folks needing the 50 amp service, usually have the larger rigs, need a bigger site, bigger turn in area, etc. Hate to pay it, but if I want to camp there, I know it in advance, and will just bite the bullet.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Lambchop,

I hope you made note of the CG so you won't be visiting them again!

In spring or fall, when I'm most likely not to want or even need 50-Amp, I wouldn't wish to pay for it, either, just because of this Monty's size.

Steve
Old 06-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Joe Camper pulls into a CG for a weekend.He has a 50amp camper.They only have 50amp sites available They note that you have 2 A/C's, they ask if you have a W/D..you do but say you are not going to use it.You also say you are not going to use the A/C's. so they only charge you the flat rate with no extra fees. Joe camper turns to Jane camper and says ..boy did we put one over on them. Joe and Jane camper use everything..they saved some bucks..The CG lost bucks on that bunch There are a lot of Joe and Jane campers out there. That is why some , if not most,CG's give you no choice.. We are also over 55, 5 kids, 6 grandkids, one GG kid...It is good for folks to experience the noisy kids, noisy dogs, cats, birds,and other assorted critters. loud music, three ring circus atmosphere of raising family..that's what it is all about...been there done that..now it is just Helen and I..it is ourtime and there is a lot less of it than we spent raising all those kids. Give us a break.. We wanna travel with Glenn..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Rich & Dave - I agree with both of you! Our situation is that we are in our middle 40's and have 1 dog and 3 grandchildren - BUT, we tell the CG where we will be that our grandchildren will be visiting and pay for the priviledge. When not visiting the rug rats, my wife and I prefer the quiet, upscale parks but sometimes the only good parks are the 55+ ones that we cannot get into.

As for 50 amp service, I don't mind paying the few extra dollars. I own a motel and you would (not) be surprised at the abuses that go on.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Ahh, I do not care about paying for 50amp or 30amp service. Think about how much we spent on these Montana's, whats a few extra bucks for having the luxury of this baby? I also have a small dog and I pick up after her every time, have 4 sandwich bags in my pocket right now actually. I want to be able to spend the winter down south with the rest of you MOC members, but that darn age thing is going to mess me up every time. =) Guess I will just have to wait another 28 years to join you...
Old 06-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
For the past 12 or 13 years every park we have stayed at on the monthly rate has charged additionally for electricity by means of a meter at the site. This is nothing new. The parks that I find amusing is the ones that only allow Motor Homes, no 5th wheels. I'm not sure I understand the comments about 30 amp and not using A/C or W/D. We don't need 50 amp to run either. I'm glad we have it and we always use it if available just because you don't have to think so hard about what you have on but we can do without it.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:

Ahh, I do not care about paying for 50amp or 30amp service. Think about how much we spent on these Montana's, whats a few extra bucks for having the luxury of this baby? I also have a small dog and I pick up after her every time, have 4 sandwich bags in my pocket right now actually. I want to be able to spend the winter down south with the rest of you MOC members, but that darn age thing is going to mess me up every time. =) Guess I will just have to wait another 28 years to join you...
Well Sky after making my comments about the 55+ campgrounds I must admit that the one I stayed in this past winter and will be in again next winter does not have the 55+ rule. BUT the majority of the folks both full season and us Snow Birds are over 55. Hell we are mostly over 63, in fact I am one of the younger old geezers. The few under 55ers we have do not have small children and when the grand kids do come to visit the old geezers it is normally only for a week or two. And remember us old geezers realize how much the rest of the old geezers cherish their peace and quite so when the grandkids do visit they are kept in control at all times. Had one out of control boy of about 8 that spent nearly his entire visit in the house. Grandpop said that if the kid can't behave he won't be visiting again. Three Cheers For GrandPop!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #19
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:

I hear ya! I've had problems with 30-Amp service in the past. It could have just been weak CG circuit breakers for all I know. That said, I just don't want to have to go outside to reset anything, again. I want to be able to nuke a cup of coffee, or 1/2-time bake dinner, and use electricity to heat my water, and the fireplace to heat the trailer so I don't have to pay for propane.

Bless your heart for having spare bags on hand and doing your duty with your furry kid! Each time I go down to the dog run, I can be assured that either I will have to pick up after someone else, or my dogs will imbibe in what someone else's dog left. I get upset over that irresponsible and thoughtless behavior on so many people's parts. When I see people walking their dogs down to the run, and coming back empty-handed, I just want to shout out to them that they must have forgotten something! Turns out those folks are most often the overnighters, rather than the folks who stay here for a while. They can't be bothered, and know they won't be, once they hit the road in the morning. (I keep praying that the CG will install a wireless remote web-cam, running on theri free wi-fi, to view the dog run.)

But you'd be welcome down here, even if you are a young whippersnapper. It’s not a 55-or over park. No matter what amount of juice you prefer, there's no surcharge. And the young southern ladies are all over the place! Though I wouldn't know about that....

Steve
Old 06-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana Sky..Don't ever forget what's in those sandwich bags..Those brown things are NOT brownies????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote