Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2005, 01:53 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Have you driven Route 2 across Montana?

We have an itinerary planned for our trip to Alaska which we started last week from Alabama. Our plan took us across the interstate through Rapid City, S.D. and across the southern part of Montana. Other RVers have enthusiastically told us we should drive across on Route 2 in northern N.D. and Montana, that it is beautiful. Has anyone had any experience on this road? What are your recommendations?

By the way, we don't plan to do much other than drive until we settle down for a few days around Flathead Lake so we're not concerned about missing the Badlands, etc. We'll visit that area on another trip. Thanks so much.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:10 AM   #2
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Judy, we have done that exact route 5 times. We found it very beautiful in all states except the eastern half of Montana and a good portion of North Dakota, not that it's not pretty, but it's mostly flat.

It's a great route though and the only one we take out there anymore. Elevations are not as much of a challenge. Diesel fuel is readily available. Traffic is fabulous, especially compared to any interstate. I even have notes somewhere in regard to stations and campgrounds on the way. Minnesota, Wisconsin, the UP in Michigan and the Lower Peninsula in Michigan are very beautiful. The ride through Montana on the Southern end of Glacier is fantastic.

If you've not seen Glacier set aside a few days and do so. Lake Flathead is gorgeous too.

It is an exciting trip and I am envying you big time. *Sigh We can't go this year and I'm bummin so. We have property in the very North West corner of Montana and love the state. We plan to retire there someday, hopefully soon.

Which way will you be coming to get to Flathead?

Take care,
Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Patty, we had always planned to drive the interstate and then turn north to Flathead. We'll be in the Flathead area for 3 or 4 days so we'll have time to explore both sides of the lake while we're there, or at least parts of the lake. We won't be able to concentrate too much on Glacier Nat'l Park on this trip but we'll get a taste of it. Because we're concentrating more of this trip on Canada and Alaska we'll want to drive through Montana rather steadily. But not necessarily at interstate speeds. Since most of driving will be through the parts of N.D. and Montana that you said aren't very pretty, I'm not sure that we should go that way. It might be 3 days of boring driving. What do you think?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Judy,

Flathead is really pretty. I was in awe when I saw it. Of course I have heard that nothing is a pretty as Alaska, so I don't know? I've only seen the western side of Lake Flathead. That was before we made it to North Western Montana.

I would still take US 2 if I were you. We cross North Dakota in one day. The trip on the Southern Border of Glacier is spectacular.

I'm sorry I indicated that the eastern portion of Montana and the Dakotas weren't pretty. They still have a lot of beauty and expansive skies. We just are partial to Mountains and hilly terrain.

I'm a bit confused...which is not unusual...LOL You started in Alaska and your destination is???

I have also heard the Canadian Route just above US 2 is fabulous. We haven't taken it yet, but want to one day. I know the South Eastern portion of BC is gorgeous.

Old 06-18-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
OK on reading again I see from Alabama...got it. Sorry these old eyes or is it this old brain? I'm afraid it's a combo of both.

Patty
Old 06-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, I just figured that I had started to type Alabama and it came out Alaska. We've got Alaska on the brain these days. We may still pop up there to Route 2. It's got to be better than the interstate. We're partial to the mountains, too, but do want to make good time between Yankton, S. D. and Flathead. So we make take Route 2. We'll drive up the middle of S. D. and connect with Route 2 in N. D. It will give us a good chance to see the east side of Glacier N. P.

We plan to visit Banff and Jasper N.P.s after driving north through Radium Springs, B.C. It should be gorgeous. We don't want to take the Canadian route north of Route 2 because the gas prices are so high in Canada. We'll stay in the USA as long as we can, 'cause, you know, the gas is so CHEAP here, We wish!
Old 06-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
Judy,
I have made the trip from Minn to Montana a total of 33 times. I have used both 2, 94 and 200 North out of Glendive Montana. The only scenic site in my opinion of ND is Medora, ND. HWY2 does not have much to offer until you are west of Havre, MT. US 2 is two lane and provides a lot of slowness. I would still recommend Interstae 94 and stop at the Hot Springs out side of Butte. Bozeman is beautiful. Polson, MT is on the south end of Flathead Lake. There is an interesting museum in Polson and a wonderful campground on Flathead lake. About 7 miles North of Polson, there is a State Park right on Flathead lake. Great campground, just past the Bison range. Kalispell on the North end and is a bustling town and you have two choices to get to Radium Hot Springs. Either thru Whitefish, MT or east of Kalispell to Libby, MT and North to Eureka. There is a campground 4 miles North of Libby, MT on the river and provides electrical and water hooku-ups for $12.00 a night. Wonderful stay. The drive north of Libby to Eureka is very majestic along the Kootenai resorvoir.
Have Fun!
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Brian and Cindy, thanks so much for your first hand experience. My gut feeling is that we wouldn't be very entertained driving through ND. The Interstate actually sounds more interesting by your description. I appreciate your experienced opinion and will certainly take it under consideration. We do want to make good time across Montana since this is not the highlight of our trip, this time. We will have 3 or 4 days of relaxation north of Kallispell at Rocky Mountain 'HI' campground before we enter Canada. I will take a serious look at the route north of Libby to Eureka. I love 'majestic' scenery. Thanks again to all who have responded.