Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Mud and Rock Guard

Placed the order last night for a Towtector (Towtector.com) receiver mount style guard for the rear of the dually. DW agreed that we needed something to protect the front painted finish on the Big Sky. Considered the solid type, but did not feel they offered as much protection in the center area of the flaps. Here is the style we went with:

I did get the premium model which has two rows of the hanging bristles. They do have replacement bristles available if the need arises.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good luck. We went with the Rock tamer system with the solid flaps they are very similar systems. They somewhat reduced the chip problem but not completely. You are still going to get chips. Looks like we will have to go with the diamond shield system or put up with the ugly chips and touch up paint that does not exactly match..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Why don't you put some of that 3M clear sheeting on like truck manufacturers use on their fender flares?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Would spray on bedliner be something that might work well on the front of the rig? Someone brought this option up previously and at the time it sounded good.
I know there are several choices in color.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I measured from outside dually to outside dually on the truck and it was slightly short of 96 inches. The guard that I ordered was 96 inches across which is wider than the rear bumper. The aspect that I liked is there is minimal free area in the middle of the guard. The guard will arrive before our planned Thanksgiving trip to Charleston, SC, so I will provide an update as to it's effectiveness. I am having a hard time fathoming how anything could hit the front of the rig with this extra wide double broom at the rear of the dually?
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I don't think you'll have much trouble. We have the Rock Tamer and have it set so it almost drags the ground when the Monty is on the back. While we don't have paint up there, we tow down gravel roads a lot and haven't seen any evidence of anything hitting the rig since we installed it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
How many of you have went with the aluminum diamond plate. Should have done something when I first bought the new trailer. Just have the small plastic fender mud flaps and have a lot of road grime that is hard to get off after a long trip.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
The diamond plate sounds good, I would like to know more about it
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The rock tamer system has the same measurements and does not completely do the job. We are told that due to the rough finish on the front of the Big Sky the 3M plastic sheeting or similar will not adhere. Our rock tamers also just about drag on the ground with the Montana attached. It looks like the diamond shield is the only way to go and very expensive. I am going to check on the spray on bedliner. Remember the Big Sky paint is a thin coat and under the paint is the gel Coat white. It chips easy. We had a long talk with Maple City Paint and Collision the folks who painted the Big Sky in Goshen at the rally. Some of the SOB brands offer the diamond shield as a option. After 17 months and many road miles the front does not look good. The touch up paint is not a good match.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Bingo I really stressed over this issue. Functional, but with good looks. I chose the "Go Industries" brand. Stainless on bottom and have heavy duty framed to keep them down. Nearly 18k miles on trailer and not a single chip. Had them on last Dually and put them on new F450. We did have front of our former, Travel Trailer "Rhino Coated" matched gel coat. If I do get chips, I will do it to Montana. About $550.00 at the body shop I used. I hope those work great. That paint job is beautiful!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With the front of the RV gel coat white the chips are not that noticeable. When it is painted the paint chips off and the white shows through. I noted at the rally that some of the Big Skys did not have the painted front.. Good idea.
The rock tamers cut down the number of chips but some still got through. I might add that perhaps "chip" is not the correct word .There is not a chip in the gel coat. The paint is gone from a stone strike.

Am I to understand that my 2013 best you can buy top of the line 3402 Montana Big Sky is the only one that sufers the paint chipping off??????
Old 11-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #12
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
I like Bingos idea.

My question is, "With this guard attached to my hitch on TV will the ends of the guard strike the fifth wheel if I have to endure a very sharp turn?" I would like to hear from someone who has the attached guard.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mach111

I like Bingos idea.

My question is, "With this guard attached to my hitch on TV will the ends of the guard strike the fifth wheel if I have to endure a very sharp turn?" I would like to hear from someone who has the attached guard.
We have the rock tamer system which looks and attaches the same. You will not have a problem.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #14
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Thanks Rich. I was thinking I would not have a problem.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

With the front of the RV gel coat white the chips are not that noticeable. When it is painted the paint chips off and the white shows through. I noted at the rally that some of the Big Skys did not have the painted front.. Good idea.
The rock tamers cut down the number of chips but some still got through. I might add that perhaps "chip" is not the correct word .There is not a chip in the gel coat. The paint is gone from a stone strike.

Am I to understand that my 2013 best you can buy top of the line 3402 Montana Big Sky is the only one that sufers the paint chipping off??????
Not hardly Rich. Mine looked like it had been hit by a shotgun blast of bird shot. Once I added the Rock Tamers the problem is almost gone. I have towed the trailer a little over 5,000 miles since repainting and adding the Rock Tamers. I have one little tiny chip down low in the middle. My Rock Tamers just clear the ground with the trailer hooked up. The gel coat folks don't have the problems we do with paint. The gel coat is a *LOT* tougher than a couple of coats of water based paint and a clear coat.

Mach111: I have had my truck with Rock Tamers 90° to the trailer and there is no interference with the ends. Of course I have enough room to leave the tailgate down and make that tight of a turn.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok Carl my experience is about the same as yours. We still get some chips and as you know they look ugly. Do you have your rock tamer system tilted a bit of straight up and down.????
Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
They are close to being straight up and down. They don't seem to fly up at all when underway - at least not that I can see from the cab of the truck.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a video on the rock tamer site that addresses "sail" when underway and they suggest a slight tilt.