Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
black tank vent

has anyone removed the cap over the black tank vent,if so how.I don't want to use any force,there seems to be a safe way to remove it.I purchased a flow vent to put in place of the standard cap.[s][/s

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:34 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As I recall your just have to peel away the sealant and I think there were a couple of screws..No big deal..just take your time so as not to damage the surrounding rubber roof.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Rich is right, but there is only one screw under the sealant. This is just a little dime (or less) sized blob, on the top of the vent.

I did this to install one of those wind driven directional vents (RV360). It worked well while it lasted, but after about a year, the top part fell off.

Does anyone know of a good directional type roof vent that will stand up for longer than a year?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
To install my vents I just pulled the cap up until the screw stopped it and took a hacksaw blade and cut the screw socket and the 4 taps off. Set new cap on and installed 2 screws into pipe.

try these vents out. www.coilnwrap.com/more/Xtreme-Vents.htm
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:46 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I replaced my black tank vent and the galley tank vent with the same ones as Bigsmurf did.Extreme vents.These are nice in as their not made of plastic and will last a long time,if you don`t knock one off with a low branch.Easy install,i didn`t have to remove any caulk.The Extreme vent screws right into your vent pipe.and i used a little sealer around where you screw it in.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:59 AM   #6
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
John has it right again, just one screw. Wish I had read this yesterday before I went up on the roof and followed the directions on the top of my vent "pull to remove" the cap came off with the screw. When I put it back on it looks like it was a tight snap fit so hope it will stay up there.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Harleyrider: Those xtreme vents cry out for some sort of logo on them. A bird head or something. Any ideas?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Harleyrider: Those xtreme vents cry out for some sort of logo on them. A bird head or something. Any ideas?
No ideas,but now you have me thinking.MMMmmm maybe a little Montana sticker on them would be pretty cool.

John
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote