Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Satellite wiring for feed and transmission lines

My Big Sky came "satellite ready" which means I have a barrel connector, with a cover over it, going through the outer wall of the RV to the entertainment compartment of the street-side living area slide. It was designed to handle satellite TV. Now I have an internet satellite needing 2 connectors (in and out) going to the HughesNet modem. I don't want to spend the remainder of my fulltiming career poking these connectors through an open window.

How have you HushesNet and Maxwell users managed your feed line issues? I am not terribly fond of punching new holes in the side of Monty. I have already called Camping World and PPL RV and neither have a three pronged connector going through the wall. So whatever I do, it looks like I will have to be inventive unless I can plagiarized an idea from one of you.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If you buy a proper connection feed through, it will look nice, and not a lot of trouble.
Wouldn't you need to come through the roof for the sat, if roof mounted? If so, they will have an aluminum accessory roof plate that you can drill a hole in the roof, screw it down, use the rubber roof caulk, seal it and it will be fine. If they don't have one, Winegard has one.
I did that with my sat dish, no leak and it wasn't a bad job. You have to get here from there.........
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Maybe a little further information is needed. I am using a tripod mounted dish, not a roof mount. There is a phone connection and a cable connection on the outside near the rear of the coach. Then on the outside of the slide near my media and computer center, there is a "satellite ready" connection which looks the same as the cable connection near the rear of the coach. Since it will only accept one lead, and I need 3 total leads (one for internet in, one for internet out, and one for sat TV feed)I have to run the two internet lines through the window which is not acceptable in the long term.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
stiles watson, we have a Cambridge and the Satellite connection is located in the area were our drain pulls, water connections etc. At our desk location is a window. Just below the window I drilled two holes and with the face plate that came with our Hughes Net system mounted to the outside below the window. We have had this system since Sept of 06. I like you didn't want to drill thru the wall, but decided I didn't like going thru the window. We leave the modem connected and we don't remove the modem when we travel. Good Luck with your decision. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I use the telephone outlet on the outside, the one with a rubber cap. We would never use a phone line so I removed the screws and pulled out the phone line from the inside of the unit. I then went outside and used a 1" drill bit and carefully drilled out the centre of this plug. My High Def hard drive satellite receiver takes two cables and they both fit out this 1" hole. The rubber cap still fits over top and secures the hole with the cables inside. To use it I remove the cap, pull out the two cables and use a coupler to join them to my two satellite cables. I am going to get a rubber bung and cut a slot in it to keep bugs out of the hole when the cables are out. A chunk of plumbers putty will also work. Using this existing jack works for me as it is right behind my entertainment centre where I set up my satelite receiver. To access this jack, I had to remove an inside panel inside the TV cabinet. Good luck finding a solution that works for you.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our rig was not wired for satellite so I installed my own. Used a waterproof feed-through connector and appropriate amount of RG-6 coaxial cable. I installed it as close to the back wall of the entertainment center as I could.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:43 AM   #7
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Stiles, you can purchase a duel connection with waterproof housing just like your telephone/cable that is factory installed, I just did mine which only had one satellite cable conection from the factory. very easy to do I only had to drill out a small hole in the same place as the orignal single connectionthen ran the 2nd cable. cost from montana dealer for the part was $21.00
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote