Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
FlashG
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7971
"Three Step Process" to the top of the Montana

Yesterday I installed three roof vent covers on the new Montana.

I don't like climbing the rear ladder of the 5er with all the necessary equipment.

This was way too easy! Three Step Process! lol

Step stool - then pickup bed - next rear RV ladder

I always keep my light short step stool/ladder in the storage bay.

Place tools and materials in bed of pickup for a platform/staging area.

We used to have a shop building at our old house and stored our RV in it. I used an extension ladder leaned against the rafters to get on the RV roof. Me thinks the "three step process" is even easier.

FlashG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I like it! I climb the ladder but, like you, don't like to do so with both hands full of gear to take up top. I've been known to bundle and tie it, then take the end of the rope up the ladder, then pull the rope and tools up from there. I've also been known to take multiple trips up the ladder to deposit tools and parts on the roof.

Nice idea.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I do the same as steve except, I found a bag make of netting materials. I put tools and whatever I'm working on in it and tie a rope on it and get on top of the Monty and then pull it up on top. If I find I need something else, I call DW and she comes out and gets it and I let down the net and she loads it and I again pull it up. This process works great. Then when I'm done I do it all in reverse.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I have a plastic bucket for washing our unit- It doubles as a container on a rope to haul parts and tools up to the roof- My wife also helps get additional tools and parts when I forget something- We MOCers always get the job done- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jay, re-reading my post it sounds like I'm pooh-poohing your method. I'm not. I like your idea and will use it when appropriate. I was just mentioning what I have done in the past. Also, when we had a stick home and our Montana was stored next to the garage sometimes I'd climb the Montana ladder to its roof then step onto the garage roof from where I could access the house roof. Sure beat putting up a ladder against the house gutters.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
It's always good to see anothers way of getting up on there roof safely.
The biggest thing is I dont see on our ladders is a ASHA sticker on that ladder, showing its weight raiting. I dont think it would meet any ASHA standards. I use a approved ladder that reaches up the OEM ladder 3/4 of the way then climb up the rest of the way, then rope up my stuff in a bucket.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
My method must not be much in favor, I guess. It is really simple and really safe. Anything that needs installed merits a call to the dealer, drop the rig off at the dealer, let them do the work, then pick the rig up!! I do climb it occassionally just for a look see and to clean the roof once a year, but typically try to remain grounded!! I did try to get a satellite signal on the roof once at a Kentucky park surrounded by hills and trees but abandoned that idea and have not tried it since. Whatever you do up there, please be safe and sure-footed!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote