Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2004, 07:01 AM   #1
Dane
Established Member

M.O.C. #751
Filling Gas Tanks

This may fall into the category of "dumb question of the day" but I'll ask anyway - what is the most common/practical way to refill your RV propane tanks - remove them and refill somewhere or take the entire RV to a place they can be refilled? We've approaching our first needed refill soon.

Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also pull ours out and use the milk crate like HamRad mentioned. When one goes empty I switch over to the other and pull just the one empty one and get it filled.

CmdrDewey, mine have been filled both by scale weight and by metered gallons, at various places. I've had a couple of places ask me which I prefer, they do both, and I always have to ask which is going to be cheaper since it's not an easy conversion. Anybody know precisely what a gallon of propane weighs?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
Montana_461

M.O.C. #461
I prefer to have it filled by the gallon. I have found many places here (MN) where the scales are "off." And not by a pound or two. U-H-haul has been good. Some of their stores carry propane.

From: http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/travel/tow_hardware.htm
Remember to figure the propane weight at 4.5 pounds/gallon.
Montana_461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 06:18 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
4.5 pounds per gallon. Just what I was looking for. Thanks!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:32 PM   #5
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We always pull ours out and usually do it by weight on a scale if we can. Here in Michigan in the Detroit Metro area they get away with charging the max price regardless of how much you have in them. Because of this we bought an extra tank that we carry with us and exchange when one of them goes empty so that we are taking only an empty tank to be filled. Prices around here are usually at somewhere $20.00 per tank to be filled again regardless of how much they actually end up putting in.

I will have to check when were away from this area if we can do the gallon thing though...sounds more accurate.

Samantha
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote