Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
G Boothe

M.O.C. #25548
Slides not going in

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2019 Montana 3920FB. Its has the Legacy package. The electronic management system (Legacy) touch screen is not working, it also does not allow the app to work. I went to put the slides in to take in for service due to this problem and I am unable to get the two rear hydraulic slides to come in. I used the override on the control panel, which is in the front compartment, There are two toggle switches which run various options. Toggle switch one runs the awnings (which work with the override). When I try to use the toggle switches for the slides, only (SL2) works and it only bring in the bedroom slide which is an electric slide. I have tried all five SL functions and no others work. I have tried everything I can think of and have also stumped the mechanics at the RV dealer (over the phone help). I have removed the battery and had it tested and it is fully changed and hooked up properly. I have checked every fuse I can find both inline and in the panel. I have tried to work the slide both with and without being plugged in to 50 amp service. The hydraulic pump works perfectly when using the self leveling system. It seems to me that maybe a relay may be bad. If anyone has ideas on how to get the slides in when the override system will not do it I would be very thankful. My goal is to get the slides in so we can take it to the dealership, as this should be warranty work (Just have to get it there).
Thank your support
Garrett Boothe

G Boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
Did you turn your battery shut off switch off in your convenient center that needs to be on to operate the slides? It’s the red key.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
G Boothe

M.O.C. #25548
Dan,
Thank you for responding. Yes I did try this, I tried it in both positions, because it is difficult to know which way is on and which way is off.
Garrett
Old 12-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #4
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Garrett did you turn the black knobs below where you control the level up system those stop the slide from going in if they are off

Dan & Sandy Huhn
Old 12-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
G Boothe

M.O.C. #25548
Dan,
I did not, I could not make out what they meant, do you know which way they should be facing?
Two switches:
One say "DS"
and the other say "ODS"
They are both pointed up towards the roof. This appears to be the ON position
Thank you
Garrett
Old 12-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Mine are pointed up and it says off when pointed down. You can try your down and see if that works all those do is stop the hydraulic for each of the slides if this doesn’t work I’m not sure what to tell you. Hopefully someone else has an idea for you Dan

Dan & Sandy Huhn
Old 12-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
G Boothe

M.O.C. #25548
Thanks Dan, you answered a question in regards to those switches that I have been wondering about, because I had no idea what their use was. They are pointed up towards the letters and when pointed down they would be pointing towards "off".
Thank you for your ideas.
Garrett
Old 12-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
cycle through the menus on the controller by your black knobs. Check what your battery voltage is
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The only way you will ever get those two hydraulic slide outs in is to use a cordless drill with 1/4 inch Allen long enough to insert int9mthe end of pump motor

You also need to locate the solenoid valve for those slides.. there will only be one and insert a 1/8 inch Allen wrench into solenoid valve and open it then run hyd pump with drill to pull slides in

Then close the solenoid valve you opened up....

Lippert has a PDF explaining how to do this.

The manual over ride switches and such on the BCM for In Command do NOTHING to manually operate any HYDRAULIC slides.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001616.pdf
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:14 PM   #10
G Boothe

M.O.C. #25548
Jeff and Chuck,
Thank you for your response. With the computer not working and the override not helping, I think I need to try to open the valve and run the pump manually. I was not sure how to open the valve to the slide, but I think you hit the nail on the head, Chuck. I will give this a try tomorrow. I hope it works, if not I guess I need a wide load sign to travel the interstate (LOL), to get it to the dealer.
Thanks again
Garrett
Old 12-29-2019, 05:26 AM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Then use a volt meter to check your voltage. It may be a low or dead battery
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #12
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Lippert newest TI is much better written with good pics explains how to manually over ride the hyd slides or six point hyd level up system.

This should explain the process better... easy to do with drill and proper sized Allen stock and Allen wrench

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0002035.pdf

This WILL allow you to manually open or close slides outs as well as your six point hyd level up system
Old 01-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #13
jmell44
Established Member

M.O.C. #15942
The 'DS' is Driver Side and 'ODS' is Opposite Driver Side.
jmell44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:36 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmell44 View Post
The 'DS' is Driver Side and 'ODS' is Opposite Driver Side.
In the auto industry this would be correct. However the RV industry has to do things differently.

DS = Door Side
ODS = Off door side

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #15
jmell44
Established Member

M.O.C. #15942
If that's the case the RV industry certainly succeeded in being different.
jmell44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:26 PM   #16
Ricos Ride
Established Member

M.O.C. #18095
1st of all DS is door side and ODS is opposite door side. Second, he already stated that the pump motor works with the landing gear do running with a drill will not solve this problem.
Take your phone app to the compartment where the hydraulics are. Press slide out button and listen for the solenoid to click. If no click, bad solenoid or power not getting to it. Call lippert support tomorrow. They are excellent with phone support. In the mean time go online and download the My Lci app. It has lots of info and phone numbers for support.

If bad solenoid you can jump it with a battery jumper cable to a post on the opposite side of the solenoid. One post is for in the other is for out. Don’t remember which is which but you’ll find out real quick
Ricos Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #17
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
YES... the manual override as I described WILL MOST certa8nky operate those slide outs to open or close using the cordless drill and opening the slide out solenoid valve... that’s the purpose of the manual fitting on the hydraulic slide solenoid valve so that you can manually move it

Since his levelers work and slides don’t then he has an issue with BCM... you CANNOT manually move the hydraulic slides using ANY of the slide switches located on the BCM. They are for electric slide outs only.

Trying to jump anything on the BCM is a bad idea ... all it does is provide DC power to the dual polarity solenoid and opens the hydraulic slide out solenoid to allow fluid,flow from pump

If the single hydraulic slide out solenoid doesn’t open then jumpering power at the dual polarity solenoid to run the pump will not move ANYTHING
Old 01-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #18
Neal

M.O.C. #24697
I have a 2017 Montana 3000RE with the same computer management system. I can't say I've enjoyed it, I'd rather have switches. But, that aside, from time to time the management console loses it connection to the BCM. At first I used to unplug the shore line and cycle the battery disconnect to get it to reboot and then it would reattach itself to the BCM. Later I found out that I could just hold the power switch in (the left black button on the management console) for a few seconds and the console would ask if I wanted to shut it down. Answer yes.. wait about 10 seconds and then press and hold the power switch again until you see the screen come on.. then it will go though a boot up, takes several seconds. After that all is well again, at least until the next time it losses the connection.

I have no idea if this will help you, but since you have this system you might as well learn the easy way to reboot it.

Good luck :-)
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #19
G Boothe

M.O.C. #25548
Thank you everybody for all your help with this problem. Chuck, you sent me in the right direction, the how to manuals helped me understand what needed to happen. With the computer not working the app would not work also, though thank you for you input Neal. After many frustrating hours trying to figure it all out, I finally went to Lippert's website. I started a "Chat"(which was like texting). I figured I was talking to a computer with pre-selected answers. I was wrong. Bill on the other end determined I needed more info than just texting, all of a sudden my phone ran from Texas. It was Bill. He was able to explain why I have so many valves and which ones run the jacks and which one runs the slides. He said it is confusing because the trailer manufacturers take Lippert's completed jack system and add valves to make their slides function. He was able to tell me which color wires where for the jacks (the purple and blue) and then that left the one valve for the slides. I tried it yesterday and the slides went in and out by opening the correct valve and running my drill. I am very thankful for all the responses and now I can get the RV to the dealer for repairs.
Thank You everyone
Garrett