Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #21
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Our first Montana a 2005 was a very solid unit, it survived a 10,000 mile Alaska trip with no problems at all. Our current 2015 is nice, but from what I see I would never do the same trip with it. I really feel that as these trailers get "nicer" they seem to be more fragile and that's when things start to break.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #22
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Like I've always said...in order to own an RV, not only do you need to know how to install a light bulb, you need to know how to change the whole fixture!

Our last trip was no exception, I let black tank get too full, burped when flushing, and tank started leaking. Had to replace it, thankfully I had experience since I replaced grey tank 2 years ago.

Now waiting for the water heater to fail...previous owner never replaced anode rod, and boroscope inspection showed some internal rust. Replaced anode rod and saving $$ for eventual replacement.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #23
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
Our first Montana a 2005 was a very solid unit, it survived a 10,000 mile Alaska trip with no problems at all. Our current 2015 is nice, but from what I see I would never do the same trip with it. I really feel that as these trailers get "nicer" they seem to be more fragile and that's when things start to break.

I could be wrong, but I think as they make the newer RVs "nicer" then they get heavier, and since they're all trying to reduce weight so they can appeal to a broader customer base of trucks that can tow it, they have to cut corners somewhere to save weight so they can sell many RVs.

For example, the "Ultra Light" trailers can be towed by a mid-size SUV and they have lots of nice, modern amenities. But to save on weight so the manufacturer can sell their trailer to everyone with a Toyota 4Runner and up, they cut weight by reducing wall thickness and insulation. And probably some other things.

However, there are manufacturers that don't seem to compromise on the weight trade-off because their market is high-end and won't accept compromises and are willing to pay a high price tag. Something like a DoubleTree Mobile Suites seems like a no-compromise RV but it's really heavy so only the biggest of trucks can tow it.
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #24
fftim29
Established Member

M.O.C. #19063
Of course!!! What would be the fun of everything working every time?? 😂🤣😂
fftim29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #25
Bfisher003
Established Member

M.O.C. #23201
Yes! It’s the law isn’t it?! LOL

But seriously, as others have pointed out, we subject them to rolling earthquakes pulling them down the highways and byways, and it seems like many of our highways have deteriorated.
Bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #26
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Load your house and drive it down the road at 65 - 70mph and see how it holds up even if on an air ride suspension trailer... Don't want to be fixing anything don't buy an RV or a house for that matter....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #27
azeagleye
Established Member

M.O.C. #22231
Short answer is that's life. I look around the homestead - completely new ac system (2), pool motors, chlorinators, control boards, sprinkler systems, microwaves, atvs, trucks, etc. Now take all that and drag it down highways, up and down hills, and across each state's worst roads (every state has some rotten road), and surprisingly most rvs hold up pretty well - I know there are lots of exceptions with some of the horror stories. Good self defense as mentioned countless times is some handiness with tools and an understanding of how your rv systems work. In cases where your technical abilities may run out you'll be able to discuss issues much better with a service manager I(he/she can become your best friend) and might get some tips on repairing yourself - especially for cosmetic, nonessential repairs - and find out where to resources parts/materials. We've put close to 20k miles on the road this year and we have been very fortunate in only having to replace some oem tires with Saliuns. I constantly check things and service as needed.
azeagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #28
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Yes, and some things things Break twice.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #29
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
On my 05 Montana, ONLY the Hydraulic Slideouts and Ceiling Fan have not broken (moving parts). Getting ready to redo the Toilet Seals for the first time. On our 4th AC unit...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #30
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Things break

Once I fixed the things that the factory messed up, my 3820 seems pretty solid. I'm still struggling with trying to keep the wheel well trim piece screws from coming loose. Haven't figured all of those out yet. There's always maintenance like tightening wood trim, lubing wheel bearings, keeping the slides adjusted, etc. With the pex, the plumbing is pretty reliable. Have to fix seals every now and then, but that's pretty normal. These things take a pounding and don't benefit from the shock absorber suspension that is on the tow vehicle.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #31
John Wedell

M.O.C. #24799
YES! including the BANK!!!
John Wedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #32
northern lights
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18757
Send a message via AIM to northern lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
yes. that is where duct tape comes in......
There's not much Gorilla Tape can't fix, at least temporarily.
northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #33
Jim55
Established Member

M.O.C. #19907
The statement that they are like being in a constant earthquake is just an excuse the dealers use to mask poor quality and poor workmanship. And many RV owners choose to accept and repeat that excuse. We are doing ourselves no favors by accepting that excuse. It’s complete nonsense. We drive our trucks and cars many more miles down the same roads and the windows don’t fall out, the door handles don’t fall off, the frames don’t crack, etc. The problem is that the American RV industry has no competition. They have no incentive to make a better product. RV’s are sold brand new off the dealer lots with water leaks, furnaces that don’t work, slides that don’t operate properly, and on and on. When a RV manufacturer finally enters our market with a product they stand behind. . . The present RV industry will change.

The American auto industry used to be just as bad as the present RV industry. The thing that saved our auto industry was competition from the Asian auto makers. Our auto industry had to then improve or perish. Competition will save our RV industry and that competition will probably once again come from Asia as the Chinese economy grows.

I’m a full timer for almost 7 years now and I love the lifestyle and the people in it. On a positive note, the industry can easily do far better, so let’s hope they do.
Jim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #34
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Why do we keep saying " that's ok, look what we subject them to"? Most of the problems I've experienced could easily have been avoided by utilizing proper manufacturing techniques and supplies. They have been building these RVs for decades, and they know where the weak links are. Tiny screws and brads holding heavy objects fastened to whimpy 1/8 in walls. The designers know where the cabinets, shades, and trim are going to go. How hard is it add a small block of wood behind the wall before it's installed? Sheet metal screws holding fenders and lower panels that are over torqued on installation. How about some speed nuts behind these? They're not expensive. Heavy wood trim held on with inadequate sized brads. Maybe use wood screws and a plug to hide them. Come on guys, you know the failure points. It's not that hard, nor much more expensive to do it right. Maybe you could steal some sales from the competition if you built a reliable product. Wouldn't that be a novel idea. Or maybe just wait until the Japoneese or Korean companies come and steal all your sales! Please wake up!

Well it looks like jim55 types a little faster than me. At least two of us are on the same page
Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #35
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Not EVERYTHING breaks. Frames(chasis) is normally good for 8-10 years....
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #36
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Its not all bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Why do we keep saying " that's ok, look what we subject them to"? Most of the problems I've experienced could easily have been avoided by utilizing proper manufacturing techniques and supplies. They have been building these RVs for decades, and they know where the weak links are. Tiny screws and brads holding heavy objects fastened to whimpy 1/8 in walls. The designers know where the cabinets, shades, and trim are going to go. How hard is it add a small block of wood behind the wall before it's installed? Sheet metal screws holding fenders and lower panels that are over torqued on installation. How about some speed nuts behind these? They're not expensive. Heavy wood trim held on with inadequate sized brads. Maybe use wood screws and a plug to hide them. Come on guys, you know the failure points. It's not that hard, nor much more expensive to do it right. Maybe you could steal some sales from the competition if you built a reliable product. Wouldn't that be a novel idea. Or maybe just wait until the Japoneese or Korean companies come and steal all your sales! Please wake up!
Well it looks like jim55 types a little faster than me. At least two of us are on the same page

Theunz - THANK YOU for the speed nut recommendation! I've been trying to figure out how to keep these screws from falling out every 100 miles. I tried machine screws, lock washers, and nuts and that didn't work. I was going to try it again with Loctite, but I think the speed nuts with the constant pressure will do it.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #37
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Jim55 - I had two Fleetwood products before they went under in the 2009 recession and those were bulletproof. Well made - no problems. I don't want to debate the quality of the current brands, but there were some out there that made a great product and stood behind it. We love our Montana but it has had more initial quality problems than anything we've owned in the past. I think if they towed these around for a few thousand miles like GM for example does hundreds of thousands of miles before a new product launch, the failure points would be corrected before the customer finds it
Old 09-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #38
N132EA

M.O.C. #24827
Age, as with us and a house, have expected , mandatory maintenance and repair.

My ‘09 is new to me, from Camping World, and after 4 months living in it: the a/c was replaced (10 years old); old plastic is deteriorating (figure seven to 12 years mandatory replacement)n; main Grey water valve frozen — 6’ bicycle cable replace; antennae PLASTIC handle unserviceable and replaced; so age required maintenance! Not an answer but you are not alone! Yes, Camping World Saukville would not return my calls for advice.
N132EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #39
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
Theunz - THANK YOU for the speed nut recommendation! I've been trying to figure out how to keep these screws from falling out every 100 miles. I tried machine screws, lock washers, and nuts and that didn't work. I was going to try it again with Loctite, but I think the speed nuts with the constant pressure will do it.
Another common fix is to put a dab of silicon on the back sides of the screws so they will not back out.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:13 AM   #40
mellabella
Established Member

M.O.C. #16037
The gas cap cause it doesn’t have one
mellabella is offline   Reply With Quote