Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #81
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
I have got to see automatic backing of a truck and 5th wheel.
Hey they are making self driving cars these days. I could see a self backing truck/5th wheel. I could also see it costing more for that system than you pay for the typical 5er....

And then there is that famous technology fail that would end up backing your 5th wheel in a lake right.......

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #82
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
I have got to see automatic backing of a truck and 5th wheel.
Well actually they won’t do that. They only work on bumper pull trailers, and you haft to put in so much information if you aren’t backing up the same trailer a lot it’s not worth the effort. And you haft to program each trailer but it stores up to 10 trailers. You twist a 1 inch knob press the gas peddle and the truck does the rest. Or that is what the book says. I programmed a small trailer and sorta tried it once and it looked like it would work.

The system they have on the F150 isn’t expensive, I think under $300. For that price you are almost crazy not to get it. Some day you might use it.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:44 PM   #83
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Hey they are making self driving cars these days. I could see a self backing truck/5th wheel. I could also see it costing more for that system than you pay for the typical 5er....

And then there is that famous technology fail that would end up backing your 5th wheel in a lake right.......
Self driving cars will gain wide adoption when human drivers are banned from the roads. Not going to happen any time soon. Self driving cars operate with algorithms for safety, humans are not safe by comparison, take risks are not situationally aware and so on compared to computers programmed to see everything. So when humans cut them off the self driving cars will slow down, pissing off the human driver behind it and thus the human will then pass and cut in, slowing the self driving car further... ad nauseum. soon everybody human and self driving car will be at a stand still. Till then self driving cars will be a novelty. Sell your Tesla stock.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:07 PM   #84
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Self driving cars will gain wide adoption when human drivers are banned from the roads. Not going to happen any time soon. Self driving cars operate with algorithms for safety, humans are not safe by comparison, take risks are not situationally aware and so on compared to computers programmed to see everything. So when humans cut them off the self driving cars will slow down, pissing off the human driver behind it and thus the human will then pass and cut in, slowing the self driving car further... ad nauseum. soon everybody human and self driving car will be at a stand still. Till then self driving cars will be a novelty. Sell your Tesla stock.
Sorry I meant the comment as a joke.

I think it is safe to say we are not likely to see self backing 5th wheels anytime soon.

I do agree that the transition from human control to automation will be very rocky and personally I don't look forward to it!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:16 AM   #85
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
One can't argue against the technology improvements in today's vehicles, however. My F350 has adaptive cruise control that will not only slow down my truck, but completely stop it if necessary. If someone pulls out in front of me, it is on the brake faster than I can get there. The back up sensors detect cars traveling up/down rows in parking lots that I may not catch as I'm swiveling my head looking for people wandering around aimlessly glued to their cell phones. Even though I'm still in control of my vehicle, the technology provides a level of safety that picks up where the "distractable" human, even the best of us, may fail. I'll still handle the backing of my 5th wheel even if the truck can someday do it without me. That's part of the fun/challenge of owning this beast!!
2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #86
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
I just went back to what this thread started as - Gas or Diesel for a new truck - and now we're discussing technology and self-driving cars. Kind of proves my point about us being "distractable".
Old 07-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #87
Pat2002
Established Member

M.O.C. #20698
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandBmalin View Post
One can't argue against the technology improvements in today's vehicles, however. My F350 has adaptive cruise control that will not only slow down my truck, but completely stop it if necessary. If someone pulls out in front of me, it is on the brake faster than I can get there. The back up sensors detect cars traveling up/down rows in parking lots that I may not catch as I'm swiveling my head looking for people wandering around aimlessly glued to their cell phones. Even though I'm still in control of my vehicle, the technology provides a level of safety that picks up where the "distractable" human, even the best of us, may fail. I'll still handle the backing of my 5th wheel even if the truck can someday do it without me. That's part of the fun/challenge of owning this beast!!
One problem that has happened to my friend while using adaptive cruise control on his new f250 it some how detected a metal bucket on the shoulder of Interstate 5 near Salem Oregon and slammed the brakes on doing 65 mph. The Ford dealer told him that is known to happen but they have no way to fix the occasional false response that can happen from that or going around slight corners when it sees the guard rail as a stopped car. Freightliner seems to have that issue with this issue also with adaptive cruise control. Sure would not want this issue to arise while pulling my Montana.
Pat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #88
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When Ford first had adapted Cruze in 2015 for the F150 you could come to a low over pass and it would about throw you through the windshield. I think they fixed that.
Lynwood
Old 07-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #89
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
I've been using it for 2 months now and so far, only 1 hard brake. Car pulled into the left turn lane and didn't get all of the way out of my lane. As I was getting ready to slide over to the right to go around, my truck hit the brakes pretty hard and startled me. As soon as I tapped the brake, I was in control again so no big deal other than exercising my heart for a few seconds of quicker beating. On the interstate, probably would be fine but I'm the type who uses cruise on nearly every road to help make sure I don't spend any extra time, or money, supporting my local law enforcement professionals. (Well, the folks they work for anyway. Can't fault the poor folks in the cruisers doing their job to the best of their abilities!!)
Old 07-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #90
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Can you pull the fuse on this abortion? Seems dangerous to me.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #91
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
Don't turn the cruise on and all you get are lights on the windshield as a warning. I don't think you could disable it. So far, I like having "big-brother-Ford" watching out in case I mess up.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #92
Pat2002
Established Member

M.O.C. #20698
His is a 2018 ! Still a issue as of about a month ago.
Pat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #93
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I have this crap on my 12 Taurus SHO. Ya my car detected a truck 3 lanes over and brake checked the driver behind me doing 80. I can no longer use adaptive cruise. To fix this change the distance between you and the car in front. You have to set it as close as it can go. If the radar thing goes out you can't use the cruise. Every time I hear this adaptive stuff its more nanny stuff that is dangerous to you and those around you.
By the way get the diesel LOL
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:47 PM   #94
russgarrett
Established Member

M.O.C. #24049
Well i have just a little over 300 miles now. I will be towing just under 12,000 lbs 60 to 70 miles on mostly level ground. I hope your son in law does not think that will hurt the truck??
The dealer said it did not matter the mileage with today's Diesel technology as far as breaking the truck in to tow.
Do some of you guys think it does matter how many miles before first tow even if it is a couple 70 short trips?
russgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #95
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
No. I had less than 250 on my last F350 and less than 100 on the one before that.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #96
russgarrett
Established Member

M.O.C. #24049
That is another reason i wanted those safety features on my 2019. No tickets or wrecks in over 30 years but i could have one tonight. I wanted the Lane Keep features that makes the steering wheel vibrate if you drift out of your lane. The pre collision warning that goes off if you are about to hit someone in the back if going under 40 mph but it will not stop the truck for you. It only pre charges them for a full stop and sets off a ted light and noise to alert you. Adaptive cruise will slow you down when it is set and is supposed to bring you to a complete stop. I just wish the pre collision feature started hitting the breaks for you when driving in town .
russgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 AM   #97
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
The downside of "safety improvements" is that we'll never know how many times these safety "advancements" truly saved someone because you rarely hear about those. The rare occurrences of something going wrong get all the air play. Not as much today, but I remember when people were being forced to wear seat belts and you heard all the excuses about how some thought it was safer to not be "strapped" into the vehicle because you might be trapped and not get out. I'm not discounting the adaptive cruise mishaps, but the technology has been around for 20 years or better and I'm sure the pros far outweigh the cons.
PS: Enjoy your diesel! (Pretty sure I saw that OP purchased a diesel!)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #98
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Talking about safety belts. If you don’t wont to be strapped in a vehicle do like a Virginia Tech professor said ride a motorcycle.
Last week I came by a guy on the Blueridge Parkway that had hit a deer on his HD. The bike and the deer were laying on the side of the road. He was on a stretcher being still. I thought the rescue squad was getting ready to take him to the hospital, no they were taking him to the funeral home.
If you like me ride be VERY careful. Deer are our feeding all day taking care of their babies.
Lynwood
Old 07-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #99
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
I'm glad to see that the OP chose diesel.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote