Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #21
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
The Ford dealer I used to work for did not do warranty work on a car bought at a different dealer except for emergencies.

While my rig was still in warranty I had work done at two different dealers without any question. I had not bought from either dealer. I guess AZ dealers are just better to deal with.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Put yourself in this dealers shoes, you are booked up with customers who bought units from you and someone that didn’t buy from you needs warranty work done, who would you put in line first?
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #23
NormaJean
Established Member

M.O.C. #15748
Call 866 425-4369. Keystone warranty. M - F 8 - 5 eastern time
NormaJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #24
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
IF the dealer is booked up with units he’s sold I would assume he’s selling crap..IF he’s booked up that far with keystone products, you should probably sell you Montana! IMHO

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #25
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
The Camping World in Cocoa FL is booking less than 2 weeks, maybe try one near you.
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #26
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
I deal only with mobile RV service companies since the last time our unit was at the purchase dealer, they kept it for over 3 months. Kinda glad ours is out of warranty.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #27
stevekbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #14073
Keystone would love to know about dealers not responding.
stevekbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #28
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I don't blame them at all. In fact, I applaud them. If I bought a trailer from them, it would make me feel a lot better knowing they work their own customers into the shop first. Before non-customers. It like a Dr. who tells you that they aren't accepting new patients. You might have something seriously wrong, but they're busy enough and need to take care of current customers first. Kudos to them. Call Keystone and ask them to help you find a faster solution.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:38 PM   #29
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
Kudos to Monticello CW!

I didn’t buy from this location or Camping World, but they have always been anxious to repair and get us out quickly. Can’t say enough good about these guys! There are closer RV repair locations here in Minneapolis, but I fight the traffic to get to these guys over an hour and a half away. I give them all my business and if humanly possible, will buy my next from them.
Kris & Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:36 AM   #30
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
This certainly solidifies my opinion that it’s not worth it to ever buy a new unit. Get a good used one where the PO has paid for the depreciation and worked the bugs out.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #31
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
As a newbie to 5th wheels, threads like this concern me. Montana Dealer sold us on the great warranty & service. If I have a 1 year warranty and they keep it for a couple months each time they do a repair they are chowing up warranty time and your unable to us your 5er. I've got my fingers crossed dealing with my dealer. Mines in with them now for miner touch ups and I'm hoping it will only be a couple weeks.
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:33 AM   #32
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Spohn View Post
As a newbie to 5th wheels, threads like this concern me. Montana Dealer sold us on the great warranty & service. If I have a 1 year warranty and they keep it for a couple months each time they do a repair they are chowing up warranty time and your unable to us your 5er. I've got my fingers crossed dealing with my dealer. Mines in with them now for miner touch ups and I'm hoping it will only be a couple weeks.
Understand your concerns. Exactly why many of us do our own maintenance and repairs, short of significant warranty work, even when it costs us personal time and money. After a couple of years of fiver experience under your belt, you will find you can do most things yourself. You will also find that some mobile techs and many dealer techs are not as competent as you would expect them to be.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #33
Perrymk

M.O.C. #20187

John, unfortunately the Keystone authorized Service centers are never in a hurry to do Warranty work, (not enough in it for them) we had this same issue and even though they are listed on Keystone's website as such. (dealers pasted in below). True you can only go to an authorized dealer listed in their service centers on the Keystone website and they are. We had the same issue in 2017, by the time they would have looked at it it would have been out of warranty. As stated in many of the posts you must get Keystone involved, albeit they are also not quick to respond in most cases. Pray that you get someone at Keystone that is truly Customer oriented and they should call the dealer and force their hand. Suffice to say it took us a year to get things taken care of through warranty even after they extended it. But it was not an electrical possible fire hazard. Your extended warranty(if you have one) gives you many more options and Service centers and they are not affiliated with Keystone directly. Good Luck I know what a pain this is first hand.

M. Perry

Don's RV Center Inc

4872 Rohde Rd Ceres, CA 95307Phone: 209-556-9993www.donsrv.comDistance:2.0 mi

Best RV Center

5340 Taylor CourtTurlock, CA 95382Phone: 209-216-5200www.bestrv.com Distance:4.3 mi

Manteca Trailer & Motorhome

204 S. Vasconcellos Avenue Manteca, CA 95336Phone: (209) 691-5277www.mantecatrailer.comDistance:19.1 mi
Perrymk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #34
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Personally I’d trouble shoot it myself and be done with trying to work with dealerships. Burning smell shouldn’t be hard to locate
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #35
lucyluki

M.O.C. #23494
Dealer issue

We recently purchased from Don's RV and have had service issues. The funny thing is we bought from them after reading great reviews about the service dept. We have purchased 3 new RV's and have had the same issue with the service depts. All they are interested in is selling the trailer. After we are done with this latest issue we will be using a repair shop that does warranty work but doesn't sell them. Very disappointed.
lucyluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We purchased our 2 Montanas from Town and Country RV in Clyde Ohio and never had a issue with them on warranty or other service. We travel the country and have had the need for service across the country both in and out of warranty. We always call keystone customer service first when we are in need of service when on the road and they have always been able to assist us. We also recognize the need for a good extended warranty and have had one for all our 14 years of Montana ownership. We have always had good service from our extended warranties.

Yes RV dealers can be backed up so can auto /truck dealers.Many of us are older, have disabilities or like myself were never handy with repairs on Cars/Trucks or Rv's.

It is mostly true that warranty work pays at a lower hourly rate and that kind of work is less profitable to the dealer. The thing is when we have a problem we want it addressed right now and that is just not the way it works.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #37
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We snowbird in the south all winter and park the RV for the summer. That's when I usually get any warranty work done. I tell them "take your time" as I'm looking for some free storage but usually less then a week later they call that it's done. Go figure...

DebNJim B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #38
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
I don't blame them at all. In fact, I applaud them. If I bought a trailer from them, it would make me feel a lot better knowing they work their own customers into the shop first. Before non-customers. It like a Dr. who tells you that they aren't accepting new patients. You might have something seriously wrong, but they're busy enough and need to take care of current customers first. Kudos to them. Call Keystone and ask them to help you find a faster solution.
except...
Keystone doesn't sell you a product specifying that the selling dealer is your timely option for warranty work; they advertise nation wide dealer network.

The root of the issue is a majority of dealers are under staffed and unable to keep up.

Personally, I don't really care if my local dealer can get me in; I want an ability to get work done when I'm not local and need it.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:02 PM   #39
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Except
Keystone doesn’t sell you a camper a dealer does.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:30 PM   #40
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Except
Keystone doesn’t sell you a camper a dealer does.
Lynwood
I'm not sure I follow your thinking

For example, the dealer isn't on the hook for warranty, Keystone is.
The dealer doesn't build the product, nor do they set the policies for repair (also Keystone).

'Technically' the dealer takes the money for the product; but from a contractual perspective all the bindings roll to Keystone.

From a customers perspective attaching to a single dealer is a horrible prospect; attaching to a nationwide dealer network does carry a value.

Personally, if a local dealer only serviced local products; I wouldn't patronize them as I will inevitability need 'not local' service and I want to have that option available to me. In addition; if Keystone transitions to an 'align to a single dealer' model; I'll go back to one of their competitors.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote