Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
New TST system installed - questions

OK, comments by you guys convinced me to buy a TST tire monitor system. Got it installed and programmed. It cycles thru each tire showing pressure and temperature.
BUT. After finishing install and programming I left the trailer. 10 miles away and 15 minutes later it was still cycling thru the tires and still showing pressures and temps. Was about 30 minutes before the pressures and temps finally went blank.
Drove back to the trailer a couple hours later. Took about 5 minutes for all tire pressures and temps to start showing again. Left again and once again pressures and temps continued to show after I was miles from the trailer.
Is that the way it is supposed to work? What if a sensor is lost or goes bad while traveling? Will it continue to show last pressures and temps for some extended period? Something doesn't seem right.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ours will read for about a mile or so away from the rig, I believe if you lose a sensor, the monitor will flash and sound an alarm, at least it does when the batteries are low (I don't know for sure). If you e-mail them with your concerns, they are very prompt and courteous with their replies. Probably better to hear it from the horses mouth!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Denfinger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13210
I always shut mine off when not in use. It looks for quick changes such as air loss or heat up. I did drive off one time without shuutting it down and after about 30 minutes it started beeping (alarming) that it had lost the signal. It does take about 3 to 5 minutes to capture all of the signals on mine. I have experienced two losses of air and the alarms went off immediately. Call TST and ask them about drive away delays. They are very helpful.
Denfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My TST does the same thing. If you call TST I believe they will verify what I "think". The Valve Sensors transmit ever 4 to 5 minutes when all is normal. YES THEY TRANSMIT IMMEDIATELY WHEN THERE IS AN INCREMENT (not sure the value)CHANGE IN PRESSURE.
I believe the receiver will hold memory for around the time you are mentioning. Mine does also. My TST is one when ever the truck is running because I monitor the truck tires too.
Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
OK, I did call TST. Lady said "what they have found" is that when you drop the trailer and drive away the system will continue to display the last read data until it finally realizes it has lost signal. Instead of "what they have found" it seems to me it should have been "the way the system is designed".
Seems a couple minutes would be more appropriate, but that is just the engineer in me thinking I guess.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Try taking one of the sensors of the stem while you have the monitor next to you. You will get an immediate tone and visual alarm. It is working correctly.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It is disturbing when you haven't had a problem. Once something goes wrong you'll see it work as it's supposed to. At least ours does.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
I have mine hard wired to ignition source. It is always on when the key is on. If you press the right 2 buttons at the same time it will turn off the trailer tracking. The sensors on the trailer will continue to function (decrease battery power) while on the valvestem. If you want to "turn off" the sensor it will turn off when it is removed from the valvestem. The TST monitor just monitors the truck tires in this mode. After hooking up to the trailer, simply press the 2 right buttons again and the trailer will again be in the monitoring sequence.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I don't remember reading about the 2 right buttons on the monitor turning off the trailer tires. I will need to try that. I thought I did read somewhere that the sensors transmitted when the wheels were turning, and eventually stopped when the wheels stopped moving. Now I don't know if this is right or not. But anyway, thanks for the info about turning off the camper sensors.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #10
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
I have never seen that as I turn our monitor off when we get to our spot and when we store it.

When at the storage lot I also take the sensors off so the batteries don't drain.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #11
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Yes, a combination of two buttons pushed at once will turn the trailer display portion off. Don't remember which two ( Mode & minus)?? but it's in the manual.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
I have never seen that as I turn our monitor off when we get to our spot and when we store it.

When at the storage lot I also take the sensors off so the batteries don't drain.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote