Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
$400K Wi-fi blocker & bookie contact resolution

You are enjoying life, all snug in your RV, happy as a couple of clams, only two things could be better, one, the cell reception.. Ugh, you have walk about 100’ and stand in the parking lot to call and check in with your bookie.
The other thing is Wi-fi, all was well until the guy in the class A pulled in with his giant dual axle wi-fi blocker, he flipped a few switches, the jacks came down, air breaks blew dust and my Wi-fi was toast.
I could walk to the spot where I call my bookie and can get a signal. Juggling my notes, holding the computer and answering the cell phone is bad for my Chakra balance.
I then have to return to my formerly cozy and happy home on wheels and be technology-deprived. I instinctively keep reaching for the computer, then realize it is just a large flat paperweight.
So, I scurry over to the library and enjoy the free wi-fi, and do my Google searching.
I like to go to the RV Forums and check there, as most troublesome things in life are repeated countless times, even if I often feel that crapola only happens to me.. I digest complaints, solutions and read the posts of people so stupid, you wonder how they got on line.
Cautiously optimistic about my choices, I burn into the Paypal account and start my vigil of watching for the U.P.S. guy.
I am now on-line, the cell phone works well, and I am a smiling clam.
My neighbors thought I was strange before, but now they won’t make eye-contact. I have antennas bolted to the ladder, and strapped onto the fiberglass flag pole, my wind sock fluttering happily above the Wi-fi antenna.
Here is what I went with:
Wi-fi: A Crane Super USB antenna around $90.00

Their blurb:
“Need to improve Wi-Fi reception? Just install the Super USB Wi-Fi Antenna 3 into your computers USB port to experience a 4.5dBi antenna gain and a 25dBm chipset gain. Youll be able to reach 802.11b, g and n access points up to a mile away, and experience fast data transfers up to 150Mbps. The weatherproof antenna can be mounted outside or, using the included suction cups, to a window pane for maximum connectivity.”
I might as well be reading Swahili, but it works for me. If you just need a little boost, you can put it on the window inside, but it is line of sight, if you need more boost, if you have a monster RV next to you, put it on top of your unit.
Then the cell signal problem, here is what I got for that:
Wilson Electronics Dual Band Trucker Mirror Mount Antenna with 3-Way Mount $49.00
Wilson Electronics 15-Foot RG 58U Los Loss Foam Coax Extension Cable with FME Male to FME Female Connectors $16.00

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks for the tip, now what do I do about them blocking my satellite reception?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
I bought the Crane antenna last year and it works great!!!
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Ohhh OHHH Ohhh I want one!! I don't want to be wi-fi deprived EVER!!! Well..okay..almost never! Can't wait to hear all about it at the Q and I can then order everything over the internet, as long as I have signal!

The thing I hate even more about the big rigs is that in areas where it should be just fine to go without your AC they turn it on full blast so you hear a CONSTANT HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM all day! We were at Cooney Dam and it wasn't that hot and they ran the AC continually from 6AM -midnight! UGH! I thought the point of being at the dam was to be in the water...oh yeah...wait...they were in the water but they left their AC running ALL the time!!! It was so loud!

Sorry I just had to vent...I guess I was still upset over what happened last July and it needed to get out. This forum is cheaper than professional therapy! Thanks Ozz!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Then the cell signal problem, here is what I got for that:
Wilson Electronics Dual Band Trucker Mirror Mount Antenna with 3-Way Mount $49.00
What does this antenna connect to? I have this image of you wandering around your Monty with an ugly black coax trailing behind your cell phone.
I'm not clear on how this thing improves connectivity between your cell phone and the cell tower.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Uh Oh. Sounds like my old boating days of the sailboaters vs the power boaters. Now it's the big motorhomes vs the trailer group.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Carol, get a white noise generator from Radio-Shack, works great!
Moutard2, it attaches to the phone, some phones have an input, some you have to velcro the attachment to the phone. It was cheaper than the 'Cradle' type that have the antenna in the Cradle.
I just sit in our reclining loveseat and talk, I don't wander..
I could buy a repeater/amplifier and it would be 'wireless' but that is just more cash outlay.
Poo folks have Poo ways
Old 01-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Got it ... thanks Ozz. I went to Wilson's site and I see that an adapter is required. Here's a link to the adapter page for anyone contemplating getting the Wilson Antenn a.
http://www.wpsantennas.com/antenna-adapter-cables.aspx
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Ron, I had that link and just forgot to post it.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
A white noise generator! Sounds interesting...get it 'sounds'...HAHAHA! I think I have gone crazy with this snow!

Keith and I were just discussing your inverter/battery suggestion and NOW we are onto this topic! Oh so many smaller toys to buy for our bigger toys! With all of the things I want to plug in and use I am going to need a 250,000watt inverter. or as Keith suggests a gigowatt flux capacitor! Imagine the humm that would come off of that baby! HAHAHAA! Motorhomes 0 Trailers 1!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bump request.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #12
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Hi Ozz,

LOL, thanks, now that you've had you Crane Super USB antenna for a while, are you still satisfied with it ? and still recommend it?

Thanks,
Tom
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes Tom, it works super.
This type also works well with a weak signal (Indoor antenna)
http://tinyurl.com/Aunttenna
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Talk about trying to talk prices down. The topic heading states $400K ($400,000) and now you say this antenna is only $90. If you hadn't have done that I would not have thought $90 was TOO high just for an antenna booster. Wait! Just by itself $90 is a lot of money. How easily we have learned to throw away another $90 just to enjoy the $50 a month wireless service I'm already paying too much for.

My wireless WiFI has to support two laptops and a printer or other laptops for guests who feel the need to stay connected. I'm so surprised we survived before we had all this crap.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Ozz, would it work to put your antenna on the batwing? Keeps your feet on the ground when the big guy arrives next to you.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Art, True, Dat.
You speak words of wisdom, I am paying a price for my Desert isolation, but I do love it here. I know what you mean by wondering how we survived. Guess I would be over talking to the guy next door if I didn't have Internet.. if I liked him, which I don't. So maybe not.
I don't know, maybe him bringing his rake over and raking a path next to my truck in the sand so I would know where my boundary is.. and he is behind me. Moron...
On here, I just wouldn't 'click' on his post..
Grampachet, I think that would work, but maybe there would be some antenna conflict.. I just am not that smart to know about that.
It works super on the Wizard of Oz fiberglass flagpole I mounted
Got a plug in for my flagpoles...
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #17
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We never use our batwing so I figured there would be no interference, but I am not conflict educated..
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #18
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I got my Super USB WIFI Antenna 3 the other day and just tried it out. Normally, I can only see my WIFI network here in the house, so I went outside and hung the antenna from the porch ceiling and found 8 other networks. Of course they were all secure networks, but I didn't see any of them from inside the house without the antenna.

So, it seems to work great!!!

THANKS OZZ!!!!

One thing I did notice, my laptop was not plugged into electric, and it really sucked the battery down fast. So if you decide to get this make sure your plugged into electric.

I ordered mine from:

http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/wifi-...antenna-3.aspx

Because I wanted the extra 30 feet of USB cable with the 2 USB plugs.

Oh, and the antenna is only 10 inches tall.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Super! Glad it made an improvment for you. They are great.