Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Water Heater - Electric only problems

We have the Suburban SW10DE. During this weekend's outing after setting up we turned on the electric and gas for the water heater to get a quick heat up of the water. Had hot water for dishes and showers the first night. Turned off the gas for the night and electricity remained on. No hot water in the morning. The remainder of the weekend we only had hot water using the gas.

Got home and used an Ohm meter to check the black rocker switch (outside on the water heater), because I read here that they go bad...it was OK. Ohmed the element...it was OK. Checked the thermostats... appeared to be OK.

What could it be?????? I know you guys have ran into this problem before and will know what to do to fix it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I would say to be sure, tie the switch wires together and see if you get hot water.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Are you saying to connect the black rocker switch wires together?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
yes, that would give you a direct connection.turn the power off, tie them togrther and repower it. that would tell you for sure if the switch is good
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Karl-- Did you check the breaker in the panel to see if it had popped? I've had that happen and for some reason after resetting it, I had no problems. I always turn both the rocker switch on the heater off and also the breaker in the panel when I winterize and actually when we leave the Monte sit unused for any time. I turn both switches/breakers off and drain the tank just so it does not stagnate while sitting. I turn the breaker off so if the rocker is turned on by accident and there is no water in the tank, I don't burn out the element. I've also seen the breaker pop when the campground's power was inadequate and the A/C is needed heavily. Just some ideas to check. Let us know what you find out!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

I feel your pain. I started a thread a few days ago with the same exact problem http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=39374 and still only have gas. I am currently attempting to find a replacement switch. Let me know if you locate the problem and I will do the same.

Steve
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Breaker in the panel is OK. I have had that pop before also, and checked that first. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I found my problem. I had wired in a lighted switch in line so I could have a switch in the kitchen for the water heater. It worked fine when it was just a switch, but this spring I put a lighted switch in place of the standard electrical switch. I just found that at the black rocker switch outside on the water heater I am only getting 9V AC, and not the 117V AC I get in the rest of the trailers outlets.

Anyone know how to properly wire a lighted switch??? I have the two white wires (one the silver screw and one on black screw) on either side of the light end of the unit and the black wires on (one brass screw and one on black screw) on either side of the switch of the unit, and the ground wire all connected to the ground terminal. I read the instruction that came with the box and thought it was wired correctly, but obviously not. Help all you electricians.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Somehow the neutral(white)wire/connection to the element went bad on mine several years ago one night, so finally I wired the negative side of the element directly to the frame and its worked fine since. One other camper I met has had the same problem and fix...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

Breaker in the panel is OK. I have had that pop before also, and checked that first. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I found my problem. I had wired in a lighted switch in line so I could have a switch in the kitchen for the water heater. It worked fine when it was just a switch, but this spring I put a lighted switch in place of the standard electrical switch. I just found that at the black rocker switch outside on the water heater I am only getting 9V AC, and not the 117V AC I get in the rest of the trailers outlets.

Anyone know how to properly wire a lighted switch??? I have the two white wires (one the silver screw and one on black screw) on either side of the light end of the unit and the black wires on (one brass screw and one on black screw) on either side of the switch of the unit, and the ground wire all connected to the ground terminal. I read the instruction that came with the box and thought it was wired correctly, but obviously not. Help all you electricians.
See if this helps.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I got it fixed! Call my buddy Don (fellow Montana owner) for some tips on wiring. He pointed me in the right direction, and with that I was able to wire it correctly. Thanks SlickWillie for the link...that's exactly how I had to wire it.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I presume your plan is to be able to switch the elec for the HWH from inside the rig and have the light come on so you will know the power is availabe to the HWH. From the breaker for the HWH, remove the wire to the HWH and take that wire to the load side of the new switch, run a new wire from the breaker to the line side of the new switch. If you want the light to come on when the switch is on to let you know the switch is on, then take a wire from one side of the light to the "load" side of the switch( the side that goes to the HWH) take the other side of the light to a ground or the nuetral in the breaker box. Should you want to have the light come on when the htg element is on then you will need to run wire from the element (hot only) back to the light for one side and have the nuetral or grd for the other side of the light.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I kinda sorta think I understand what you mean, but I'm not sure.

I have a residential lighted switch and it only lights up when it's off. I would much rather have it light up when it's on and the water heater is drawing current.

Can you draw a picture? A circuit diagram.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:46 AM   #13
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
MuddyPaws try this link as I think it describes and show you much better than I could.

http://books.google.com/books?id=hkc...page&q&f=false
Old 05-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #14
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Please don't make the mistake of thinking you can use the neutral and ground wires at will. If it's carrying current it's the neutral(w). The ground wire (g) is for safety, to facilitate the actuation of overcurrent devices should a fault occur.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote