Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Bud and Monty
Established Member

M.O.C. #6978
New Truck lasted 5 hours

Well we finally got to pick up the new truck. Wow sure is or was a nice truck. Drove it off the lot at 2:00 pm .went to grandaughters birthday party, Then back home, parked it in the driveway. Went in the house to sit in the easy chair and read the manual. Was home about 45 minutes,Then heard CRASH BAM BOOM! Looked out window to see what the commotion was, Some guy in another truck ran through the yard then a brick planter and right in the side of the new truck. Seems the gentleman has a drug problem. Dont know how the insurance will handle this one but am hoping I can get a new truck out of it. Only had 71 miles on it.Kinda worried they will repair instead of replace. Keep us in your prayers, we are still in a state of shock not to mention sick about it all.

Bud and Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
That just totally sucks! Thank God, no one was in the vehicle!

I hope the best for you!

Do let us know what takes place with the insurance company
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
WHOA!!!!!!! THAT'S GOTTA SUCK BIG TIME. Glad no one was hurt!! I'm not sure what else to say excpt good luck with repairs or new one........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:04 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Lordy, I would be crying!

Yep, that really sucks.

Wishing ya well on this one.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 AM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I drove my truck for THREE YEARS, without a mishap or scratch...Until last spring in the RGV I was was walking out from the grocery store toward my truck and watched as a guy picked up his small sack from his cart and just gave his cart a shove as he walked to his vehicle..... Well you guess it, smashed into my left front wheel well, ONE DENT. This old man went ballistic!!!! I caught up with that young man and by the time I got done, he had thought he had grabbed a BOB CAT by the tail!!!!!! Needles to say the Police arrived, things simmered down... I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, just a few hours OLD. That would make me sick sick SICK... GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND......John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ouch, I know that hurts. Best of luck with the insurance company. If it was me, I would stress frame alignment with the insurance company because of the heavy load you are towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I don't know how you could call him a "gentleman"!!!!!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That would indeed make me ill..Good luck with the repair.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
If that happen to me,I would be in jail and him in the ground. That would happen if the law or DW was not with me. How can you call him a gentleman after that? being a druggy did he even have insurance?
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Be sure to mention what you are pulling behind your truck. I don't know if it will make a difference to the insurance person or not but its worth a shot.
Also contact your insurance company and let them know what is going on. I know in Oklahoma most insurance companies will not cover damage if the insured party was drinking or driving under the influence of anything.
I agree this just sucks.
Good luck!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
My truck was a week old took back to Dealer to install Running Boards and it fell off the lift.Mine was not as new as yours.Hope every thing works out
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #12
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
To quote that prolific speaker Keano Reeves...

"Wooah... Dude.... that sucks..."

Hoping for the best for ya....
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ouch, ouch, and OUCH again! I hope the insurance company comes through for you with a new truck. I know wonders can be worked by body and frame shops, but still . . . how often do we get a brand new vehicle? I kinda like to be the only person to put dings on mine, if it has to have dings.

Sort of reminds me of something we're experiencing with our new house right now: The high-dollar granite for our kitchen, which held up construction for 6 weeks (another story, not important here), was finally installed last Wednesday. The installers left before we got home to inspect the job. They must have dropped every section of it from the roof before installing it. One entire triangular corner of the bar, about 24" by 24" by 24", had been knocked off; the attempt to glue it together and fill the break was laughable. Not only was the crack filled in with black (on a sage-green piece of granite), it was quite visible from the underside. Then there's the 18" crack, all the way through the granite, on the range counter. And then there's the 9" crack all the way through the sink counter . . . shall I go on?

The cost of granite doesn't equal the cost of a truck, but something new that is damaged in a careless, unthinking manner by an outsider is infuriating!!!!!!!!!! (I'm sure my builder's phone melted after I called to tell him what the granite people had done.)

Good luck with your truck--what an awful thing to have happen. Glad the guy didn't drive on in and land in your lap, though!
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry that happened, it does suck. Thank goodness you weren't in it. Life is hard to replace, the rest is just sheet metal.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I do hope the other party had insurance. It sounds like you have a very good claim. Insist, insist, insist on full replacement value and (I hate to use this word) sue the daylights out of him - if he has anything.

Please keep us informed of what happens.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #16
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I heard of a guy that before he drove his new rig off the lot he opened up the tailgate and took out his pocket knife and scratched the paint in an inconspicous place. The dealer asked him what in the world he was doing. I want to make sure I am the first one to put a scratch in my new truck.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Honestly, I don't know what to say. What an unbelievable turn of events. We'll hope, with you, for a favorable outcome.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I'm also sorry to hear about the misfortune you have had with your truck! That sounds like something that would happen to me. Do you think you might be related to me?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #19
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
So sorry to hear about the damage to your new truck, what a bummer. I had my Tahoe about 6 weeks when the entire one side of it was keyed by someone. The entire side of it had to be repainted. I must say that 8 years later you still can't tell the difference in the paint.

I also had a Buick Lesabre that was four months old with about 1000 miles on it and was hit by a drunk/DUI person. Again it was repaired at the cost of $10,000.00. It drove wonderfully and the paint was great for 9 years, and would have lasted longer if the youngest hadn't totaled the car, right after getting his license.

A good body shop can make your truck like new. Here is hoping that the person had insurance to cover your loss. In both of my cases it was against my own policy. Also, thank goodness that the dummy that was driving hit your truck instead of going into your house. Good luck in getting your truck fixed. I would suggest that you fight the insurance company if they try to use after market prices in your repairs of your vehicle. Find a good body shop that will help you get the most out of your insurance policy, or they big dummies company that hit you. The biggest thing is you got to enjoy a precious moment with your grandaughter. That is priceless. Still looking for one of those things to spoil.

Good luck with your repairs.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:05 AM   #20
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
What a mind numbing thing to have happen. You hope there is a good reason somewhere for this to have occured but are hard pressed to find it at the moment. God bless.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote