Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #21
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Well, to get the thread back in line, here is my 2 cents worth about a women's oriented forum...It gives a specific area for the women to post things that might not be of interest/concern to the men folk; it might work for us to get them to "hear" us (rather than the static they may profess to hear otherwise...you know that "selective hearing" thing) as they'll want to know what the heck we have to have our "own" forum for; and as long as it is not "exclusive" (from the standpoint that only females can part take then its a "go" for me...I don't regard it as a barrier and my experience has been that not allowing something to be a barrier precludes it from becoming one. I, for one, look at ALL the forums from an educational perspective (and to make sure the men folk aren't having too much fun without us women folk).

On a similar thread, it is sometimes unclear to me as to who is "talking" as some of you all use the same sign in name for the "family" so as far I'm concerned when I am reading the posts they are "gender neutral"...bottom line is that I am hearing from and sharing with individuals who have similar interests...the Montanas, RVing in general, having a good time and, helping one another out.

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:08 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Being completely serious here.. Ladies, get involved. Helen is a integral part of everything we do.Our great adventure is a mutual effort and we rely on one another every day. Guys encourage the ladies to join the forum and have their own screen name so they can have their own idenity and not speak through the guys idenity..Helen is Snowhawk and you will seldom confuse what she post with richfaa post. .
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:57 AM   #23
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rich,

WHERE is Helen?? We know she has some GREAT ideas!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #24
catsR4me
Established Member

M.O.C. #6762
I think this is a great idea. I occasionally read the forum but rarely post simply because 75% of the posts tend to be about topics that the hubby is more interested in than I am. (Although, I must say that I like reading the posts when the guys get going on the "my truck is bigger/better than your truck" topics.) This forum gives us women a chance to get involved and get responses with a woman's perspective. I don't care if the guys add their 2 cents worth but I'm hoping that the women join in the most. I'm looking forward to seeing this forum's development.
catsR4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #25
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I can't believe how quickly the guys had to get in here. And they say women are chatty!LOL Since we have been RVing for many years, I can (and have) done everything on the outside as well as the inside. I don't tow because of phyiscal disability but I know I could if I had to (I towed for a couple of miles with prior rig). If something should happen to Ed, I would call on my MOC friends to help me. Because of my disability I don't think you want me on the road since when my leg unexpectedly cramps, I can't put the brake on!
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #26
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Rich,

WHERE is Helen?? We know she has some GREAT ideas!
She is out working at the job her loving husband found for her.g
BTW he is home.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #27
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
WHooo Weeeee! I love this idea.
Way to go Lady RV.
I'd love to drive, but that would mean prying the steering wheel out of Steve's cold dead hands.
Do you know what I mean? Sometimes I get angry with myself for letting him deal with all the "boy" stuff. I know I need to know, you know?
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #28
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Blue jobs vs. Pink jobs. He prefers to drive (blue) and I prefer to ride.
I prefer to plan (pink) he follows the plan (blue). So far, it's working.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #29
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
I think it's interesting how there seems to more men on this forum then woman.

That's ok....let the men keep on checking.

Just wondering when you are out in your RV's, what do the women do for the set up in a campground....
For Kevin and myself, he usually takes care of all the outside unhooking and hooking up. I do all the inside, cleaning and making sure everyting is put out or away.

I have watched Kevin many times working with the hooking process....I think I could do it by myself if needed in an emergency.

Have any of you gals traveled and set up your trailer alone? What was it like the first time? Did you run into any problems?
Denise...the female of the PartyCrashers
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #30
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by slewis

Blue jobs vs. Pink jobs. He prefers to drive (blue) and I prefer to ride.
I prefer to plan (pink) he follows the plan (blue). So far, it's working.
Sandy
Sandy,
I like your thinking. As much as I know I should learn some of the blue jobs, I really prefer the pink. Right now, it works for us too.
Nita
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #31
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al and I kinda work at this set up/break down thing together, granted he does MOST of the outside stuff, sewer dumping, hose and electric storage, and I do most of the inside stuff, making sure the cupboards are secure, furniture in correct positions, houseplants safely boxed (ohhh, that is a gal thing, eh? HA HA )

Anyway, when we get down to the last hour or so, we really help each other, I encourage him to come inside and review, look for anything I have missed, ESPECIALLY after sitting for 2 weeks or more. Check lists are good, should use them, specially since my mental checklists don't work as good as they do. Might even start that back up, BUTTT, gulp, for now, We kinda rely on our experience.

Anyway, he checks me inside, asking questions, or checking, telie stuff off and down, etc. I actually walk around the entire rig and check every door, closet, etc. Make sure they are closed and latched, some require velcro, is it there; some require spring bars, are they in place. I touch each door/drawer, asking myself or looking again, is everything AOK here.

Then, I help him out side, all through the set up or hookup. I actually back the truck up for hooking up, guys don't read this, but, Carol does a better job of it than he does. Sorry, but, that is true! HA HA. He feels better giving directions, I feel better NOT giving directions at this point.

When we are setting up, I guide him into the campsite (I cannot back up Tana) with the walkietalkies. We go step by step, slowly, reminding each other, chock, set the parking break, all that stuff. We both work together until the slides are ready to be deployed, after they are, I get the dogs out of Big Butt and go do my lady stuff inside.

So, for us, it is quite a share and share alike situation, especially during the last hour of breaking camp and the first hour of setting up.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #32
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Mrs. CountryGuy-
Your response decribes Kevin and I. EXCEPT....he does all the backing up, and I do the hand signal's , which is a whole other thread....LOL.

I am comfortable in pulling the trailer, I can drive in town and on freeways, but only forward. I have not attempted to move the rig in reverse....and don't think I can ever do a job well enough. So if we are ever camped next to anyone on the MOC...you will be comfortable in knowing that we (I) know our limits AND we do pay attention to them.
Denise
Old 03-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #33
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Well.... as you know Denise (PartyCrashers = my sister).... During the summers when I work part-time, I quite often will hitch up the Hannah Montana and take her over to the coast by myself or sometimes with our daughter. The hubby will usually follow over a few days later after work on Friday. I have no problems (at least with the confidence part of) hitching up, driving, backing up or unhitching.

I have had other problems however. Like the time I was stuck in a really tight turn, didn't even think of the ramification of being on uneven ground and ended up with Hannah "kissing" the rear window of the truck. Didn't cost too much to replace the window and the "little dent" on the truck.

Or the couple times the batteries died when boondocking with our kids and their friends. The propane automatically shuts down when the batteries die and makes it sort of hard to diagnose why everything is dead. But after reading all the paperwork that came with the Montana, I whipped out my AAA card and called a tow-truck to come jump Hannah. If I remember correctly, it was something in the refrigerator paperwork that tipped me off to having dead batteries.

I also learned not to tell them ahead of time that it's a 5th wheel they'll be jumping as some of the tow truck drivers say jumping a 5th wheel is not covered so they write it up as my truck that they jumped.

We now carry a voltmeter to test the batteries. But I also will run the generator for a couple of hours every few days now to charge up the batteries to hopefully prevent them from going dead. I also don't take a lot of kids with me anymore.

There's a few other little things I've learned but the best thing is to grab all the paperwork that came with the 5th wheel and go read it all.... twice. You'll learn so much by doing that. Read about your appliances, study the drawings and go look at the appliance while you read about it. Take the outside cover off the refrigerator and check to see where the pilot light is and what it looks like. Do this in daylight and at night. You can usually check the pilot light at night thru the vents without taking the cover off.

Learn the propane tank system and the valve that controls it. Not only learn (but do it at least once) how to unhook a tank and take it to get refilled and hook it back up again. Go out and check your tank levels a couple of times a day. You'll be able to learn just how fast certain activities inside use up the propane which will clue you into when it's getting time to go refill.

Learn not to turn on your hot water heater until you have water in your tank AND after you have turned on your hot water faucets and made sure you've bled the air out of the system by having water come out steadily.

Lean to use your hearing. Lean what the hot water heater sounds like when it is heating up water. Learn to realize when it stays on too long or doesn't come on at all.

When a problem does occur, you'll be better equipped because you already took the time to learn about the 5th wheel. Take out the paperwork again and read thru it to troubleshoot. If you are camping without the DH, don't be afraid to ask a neighboring camper (that doesn't look like an ax-murderer) for help.

My opinion is to not let the 5th wheel master you, but you learn to master the 5th wheel. It's all about confidence, being informed and prepared. Just having the confidence that you can do it will enable you to do it. If you set yourself limits and never try, then you are limiting yourself.

It's true that women don't have the physical strength that men do, but you do have eyes to read and a brain to think/learn. It doesn't take muscle to back up a RV, just confidence.

Think about it.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #34
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Hmmmmmm....thinking here

I hear what you are saying. I hope other women can take your confidence and explore in their own experiences.

For me I will still stay away from backing up...
or at least until I get to practice in an open parking lot.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #35
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Overall, it sounds like we all have our "systems" and preferences and that is great. I know I have different comfort levels for different things and some things are like the old Disney "E" ticket rides and others are "no brainers" for me.

Reading (and re-reading) the manuals seem to be a "pink thing" (in and out of RVs) in our family so the division of labor is usually me reading the "distructions" outloud and him doing the manual labor.

Driving (especially the backing up part) is not something I will be raising my hand to do if given the option not to, but I know I'll make myself do both at least occassionally so it won't be TOTALLLy alien to me if/as the need (or even desire) arises.

With hook-up/break down we also do the "double check" for one another as we've found that multiple looks help catch those pesky little things like did the TV antenna actually get lowered or did one of us just "think" it rather than "do" it; did all the "bits and bobs" get picked up from around the site and stowed before we thought of it 100 miles (or more) down the road; were the cabinet doors that disappear behind the slide outs when they are stowed actually properly closed/secured before the slide outs are "slid in"; etc.

I know that anything that has the potential to "blow" or "shock" are not my favorite things to deal with, so the propane and electrics are my little demons to come to grips with when those type of maintenance or troubleshooting opportunities come to play so I am not above asking the "non-axe murderer" neighboring male camper for assistance if my hubby weren't about at the time.

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas you all have shared thus far, I have taken note and will be using your sage advice when learning and using our new rig (whenever it gets here).

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #36
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Margee for the benefit of those who have not heard why you hate the water closet in your rig, please explain!

I am going to make it a priority to learn how to do all aspects of setting up, driving, etc. of our rig. Roy had a recent medical problem and it brought home to me that if it happened while we were traveling I would be at the mercy of others to lend a hand.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #37
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Nancy-
I hope Roy is ok!?...

Will you be at Lake Siskiyou?

I too would like to be able to do things on my own... BUT

I will always keep in mind, when in trouble, there is the MOCTAP
Old 03-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #38
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
To make a long story short Roy developed atrial flutter at a rate of over 140 and spent 3 days in the hospital and a week home, but he is working again though is still not in regular sinus rhythm. He did NOT have a heart attack. He may have to have a cardioversion where they put him to sleep and then use the paddles on him to get his heart back in regular rhythm. You can live your whole life in an abnormal rhythm, but there are complications (like stroke) that can develop from it, so they have him on Coumadin and 2 heart meds. He just likes to shake things up from time to time but is doing fine right now.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #39
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
....Nancy (ToolManRoy)... I haven't figured out how to say it yet. Not sure I can in polite company.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #40
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Hate to admit this, but Hannah Montana intimidates me. The 3255 didn't, but for some reason, the 3600 does - 2 more feet and 2 more slides. So, I don't do the driving, only in or out of the home place so hubby can lock the yard gate. I have the utmost respect for all you gals who do drive, and it is something I know I need to try. I've driven school bus and have towed stock trailers, with animals inside even, but that was when I was younger. As far as parking and setting up, I help guide hubby when he needs to back up, and I help with jacks, chocking, hooking up water and electric, etc. When that's done, I run slides out and set up inside. Inside packing is generally my "job", but I also ask hubby to look around to make sure things are stowed, doors shut & secure. He takes care of outside, then I walk around rig before we pull out, checking cargo doors, etc.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote