Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Catastrophic Tire Failure

I stopped to help out another Montana owner today. When I first saw him he was stopped on the shoulder of the road, but was able to limp to a nearby gas station/small truck stop. He was in the process of loosening the lugs to a rear tire on his Monty. There wasn’t much left of the tire…not being a tire person, the only thing left is what I think is called the liner and it was shredded. The tires were not Mission and were too dirty to read the brand name. The Monty was 2002 32 footer.

The driver told me the tires were at least 4 years old and that a couple of days ago he noticed age cracks on them. He had planned on replacing them once he got home (15 miles from the station). He told me he was surprised at the amount of damage the disintegrating tire had done to both the under carriage, wheel skirt, and leading edge of the bottom of the trailer. I looked and saw a lot of damaged insulation, the trim around the wheel skirt was hanging loose, and what I have called the leading edge had been bent upward about 2 inches.

I asked the driver if he heard the tire blow. He said he didn’t think it blew, rather it was a result of a rapid loss of pressure. Anyway he didn’t hear anything. He learned of the problem from a passing motorist and police officer.

Figuring I would learn something, I helped him finish changing the tire. After loosening the lugs, he used an EZ Jack from CW to elevate the trailer. First time for me to see one of those gadgets used. Gotta get one! Also need to buy a TPMS.

Told him about MOC and how to find it on the Internet.

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't think the TPMS would help if a person wasn't cognizant of the danger of keeping 4 year old, age-cracked tires on the rig. This has been discussed in detail here before and is a potential (in this case definite) recipe for disaster. A four year replacement cycle is highly recommended, but I will defer to the tire gurus for definite advice.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Someone has a signature line that says something to the effect: The cost of replacing is expensive but the cost of neglect is even more so. I'm glad I had the Pressure Pro system on mine when I had my flats from Alaska. Everytime I read about tire damage I thank God I purchased the system.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
I told the guy about the TPMS and the cost. It was news to him. He said a TPMS would be worth the money. And while a TPMS would not have prevented the tire failure, because he thinks the failure was from loss of pressure an pre-failure alarm may have given him the time to get off the side of the road before the tire separated resulting in the undercarriage damage.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Joe-n-Doe, that's exactly what I did. I was in the southbound lane of the Alcan last June and almost stopped in the middle of the road. Was able to pull to side, not off, and change the tire. Result-No coach damage....
Old 03-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You have witnessed what I have described twice on the forum. I have had four tread failures, two of them were as you described: Not aware it happened, shredded tire, significant damage to coach fender well area, and informed by passing motorist. My tires were not 4 years old nor were they cracked. The first set were General tires and the second were Chinese.

Monitors will not prevent tread separation, but will alarm as soon as pressure drops and maybe help prevent the shredding that does so much damage. I, now, meticulously check pressures before starting, run with Duran Monitors, and check temperatures at each stop.

Friday, I will have a nearly new set of OEM missions for sale. I have decided to run on Goodyear G614's. I know they are over priced, but..............after you have been burned......
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

You have witnessed what I have described twice on the forum. I have had four tread failures, two of them were as you described: Not aware it happened, shredded tire, significant damage to coach fender well area, and informed by passing motorist. My tires were not 4 years old nor were they cracked. The first set were General tires and the second were Chinese.

Monitors will not prevent tread separation, but will alarm as soon as pressure drops and maybe help prevent the shredding that does so much damage. I, now, meticulously check pressures before starting, run with Duran Monitors, and check temperatures at each stop.

Friday, I will have a nearly new set of OEM missions for sale. I have decided to run on Goodyear G614's. I know they are over priced, but..............after you have been burned......
Iam with you Stiles,I ordered my Michelin Ribs Yesterday from Costco and when I get finished with this reply Iam going om line and ordering the Pro Pressure System.
IMO well worth the money!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have seen up close in the RGV in Dec 07, we meet some nice Montana owners and they had just had a tire blow out and the estimate to repair was $4,000. We will be getting another Pressure Pro monitoring system, and I want run nothing but Goodyear 614's. We are in the process of getting another 5th wheel and it came with the G614's.

The Pressure Pro system saved me twice when I owned the Cambridge, had two wheels crack and was leaking air. The PP let me know I was loosing air. I also believe leaking air or low air pressure is the leading cause of tire failure. Good Luck... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:57 AM   #9
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
If you ever have one tire blow in July or August in 100 degrees and no cell phone service it will teach you a valuable lesson. New tires are cheap compared to the damage of your Montana.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
What type of TPMS do you guys use? Which is better or more reliable? This is definitely something I will be looking into before I really start to travel.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I use Doran Pressure Pro. The internal system is more than I wanted to spend. I have found the Doran to be dependable. I covers both the truck and the 5er.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have a general hearing loss and a high pitch hearing loss. The one and only set of doran's I had (six or seven years ago) put out a high pitch warning noise I could not hear.

So which brands put out a warning sound that I'm likely to hear despite my hearing loss and over the radio?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Steve,
I have hearing aids and still have selective hearing. A blinking light would be better.

Edited: Someone mentioned a brand that not only monitored pressure, but heat. Could you please repost that link?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Steve,
I have hearing aids and still have selective hearing. A blinking light would be better.

Edited: Someone mentioned a brand that not only monitored pressure, but heat. Could you please repost that link?
The Doran System Has both an audible and a visual Alert.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:50 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve..I also have high frequency hearing loss(job related) but the tone from the Pressure pro system is low enough that I can hear it.. Perhaps you should find someone that has one and see if it is withinn your range.. red light does come on..don't remember if it flashes??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 AM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Steve: The only one that I have seen that does temperature as well as pressure is the SmarTyre system which goes inside the tire (a long steel band holds the transmitter on the wheel -- looks like the band that is used to secure a radiator hose..) Website is http://www.smartire.com/rv/overview . There was an issue with them over a year ago if you were running the G614s on your trailer -- didn't have enough umph to send a signal past the metal cords in the tires to the receiver in the truck, last I heard their latest version does well.

Did a little more looking and this particular dealer has owners manual and more stuff on his site (the standard disclaimer here -- I am not associated with this company!!) http://www.dickmantires.com/
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Au...ng316a618.html
has the Doran for $308. That is the best price I could find on the net. Any one had any experience with them?
Those who have them, do you need the external antenna to get a good signal?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #18
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Steve,
Try this link http://www.truckerspartstore.com/
This might be the system you were thinking of. Someone else posted this earlier and I had it bookmarked. Other systems use a low pressure/temperature mathematical method for determining temp. Saf-tee uses actual temp.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
BB, I have the Pressure Pro that I purchased from Doran and mine work fine. I have on eight tires (truck & Monty) and I have no problem getting a signal from the rears.....
Old 03-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have no trouble with the signal.. This is the system http://www.tirepressuremonitor.com/

Doran was a large retailer that marketed the system..they no longer do.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote