Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
tyler_bustos
Established Member

M.O.C. #11981
Glacier NP?

We are planning a vacation up around Glacier NP next July. We are looking at Swan Lake CG due to the size of my rig. Has anyone else been there? Are there any other CG's around that we should look at? Not really wanting a KOA or the like. We do like to boondock.

tyler_bustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Haven't been to Swan Lake but we would stay somewhere on the east side, of the park. There are more trails and such on that side.
It is a beautiful park, enjoy.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
If Glacier West and East are your targets, isn't Swan Lake a little far south for a base camp. We stayed in Hungry Horse and loved it.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
If you go further south to the south end of Flathead lake, there is Polson, Montana. They have a beautiful RV park (or did 6 years ago). Lived there for a while many years ago. All the folks I knew are gone. It is a great community and the people are great. A golf course is right next door to the RV park. Enjoy the scenery.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I know you don`t like KOA`s, but the one we stayed at in St. Mary was with in a mile of the park entrance.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
tyler bustos,
If you like boondocking then try one of the CGs inside the park. We were going to stay in one on the West side of the park but don't remember any of the details. I remember one of the MOC members was hosting in the park but ended up leaving early due to health problems. So we know there are CGs that will handle our rigs but since we ended up NOT camping there I cannot recommend any of them. We did do a drive thru and the one we visited was nice and we could have gotten our Monty in without any problem.

We ended up staying in Mountain Meadow RV park in Hungry Horse. Nice park and we would stay there again. I think it is about 7 miles from entrance to park on West side. And I know a number of other MOCers have stayed in this park.

Ron I would also recommend the KOA (reluctantly; Only because we don't like to pay their rates) if you're staying on the EAST side of the park. Another park that we would consider on the East side is the one sort of across from the KOA that is up on the side of a hill. If you get a site with a view you're looking right out at the Park. I think it is called Johnson's or something like that. They have a cafe at or near the entrance to the park that we would recommend. A very basic but good food place. Very Western style if I remember correctly. We were also advised that there was a pie place not too far from the RV Parks right on the main highway. We did not manage to make it to that place (can't imagine why not )but I believe Steve and Vicki Reigle recommend it highly.
Good luck and have fun. Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
tyler_bustos
Established Member

M.O.C. #11981
Thanks all for the input and advise! Ron, it is not that I don't like the KOA's there are some nice ones that I checked out for the trip up. The price is generally too high for a family with kiddos and dogs. They upcharge for almost everything. Again thanks folks! This is truly a great site and very helpful.
tyler_bustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ty we stayed at rocky mountain Hi this summer in Kalispell and in the back part it is very nice and a great view. Flathead lake is also beautiful but alittle to far to go for me to stay but a nice ride around it both sides. CG is about 31.00 per night+tax but they do 10% off for Goodsam.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We also stayed in Hungry Horse and loved it. We stayed at Mountain Meadow RV Park between Hungry Horse and the West entrance to Glacier NP.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

We also stayed in Hungry Horse and loved it. We stayed at Mountain Meadow RV Park between Hungry Horse and the West entrance to Glacier NP.
X2 for Mountain Meadow RV Park. Very relaxing CG. Our site was so spacious I couldn't see any other campers. Had the feel of boondocking too. Like to revisit them again in the future.
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
On the east side at St Mary, we stayed at Johnsons which is further up the hill than the KOA and has a better view along with being a bit closer to the entrance.

Drive down the hill and park at the entrance lot and take the free bus. They do the driving and you do the looking. You can get off at key points and catch the next bus forward or back depending on your agenda. I would encourage you not to take your RV over the Going to the Sun highway. To go from east to west, you want to go around to the south.

On the west side we stayed in Hungry Horse. I believe it was in the park mentioned earlier.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
It depends on how long you want to stay also. If I was spending more than a couple weeks up there I would want to stay on the west side. The wind blows just about non stop on the east side. Been there dozens of times and you can look at the trees on the east side and see them leaning.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
We stay all summer at North American RV Park in Coram. Going back this summer for the 6th year. I like the park and recommend it.

Others in the area I recommend would be the one in Columbia Falls. Also, Mountain Meadows is liked by many.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Second for Johnson's at St. Marys - been there 2x over 12 years. They have a decent restaurant on site too.
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We spent a month at Mountain Meadow in Hungry Horse. That's on the other side from St. Mary, though. Here's the view from our site.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote