Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Couldn't believe it.....

Was at Wally World here in Aransas Pass yesterday. Saw a mini van pulling a big Airstream TT. The back tires on the TV were almost squashed flat. Wanted to take a picture, but the folks were in and out of the Airstream. This one takes the cake for me. Just can't believe anyone would do that. Hopefully they'll stay in South TX where there are no hills. Think this one beats the big fiver we saw last year being pulled with the half ton Chevy with the V6.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Amazing what people do. Saw a 1/2 ton Chevy yesterday pulling a large toy hauler travel trailer. Chevy was pointed toward the sky in front, the toy hauler was pointed toward the sky in the rear. The middle looked like a sway back horse. The hitch was barely off the ground.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
That`s nothin, I saw a Cadillac with a gooseneck hitch in their trunk!! No decklid, @ a Flying J in Georgia with a 5ver hooked up to it!!! The caddy`s bumper was about 6 inches off the ground wish I had the camera ready for that one.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:37 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Sooner or later these idiots are going to result in new laws regulating weights of TV/trailer combinations. Just a matter of time. Don't guess it will really bother too many on here, just more red tape though.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
It really makes you wonder. I wonder about any dealership that would sell that type of setup. I would guess, most buy privately. The first thing our dealership did (Burlington Camping & RV, Wi), was to check our TV to make sure we could pull our choice of trailer with it. This was before we got all excited about the model only to find out our vehicle should not pull that kind of weight. Reputable dealerships are worth any possible price difference.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
dieselman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6615
I think I can do you one better about the problems with overloading. I am sorry but do not have a picture to share but I know a guy who is towing a 30 plus foot 5th wheel with an F150 Ford pickup. His complaint is that he has a hard time steering the rig when he goes down the road. He has also mentioned it does not stop very well. On top of that he took a trip this summer to Colorado and tried to pull the trailer thru the mountains. I do not knnow how he survived the trip.
dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
My understanding is there is laws on this stupidity,and if we see this why aren't the police seeing this.It's usually innocent people who get killed.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
The police do see it. 1 they don't know what to do (hard to believe) 2 lazy and don't want the paper work. 3 they figure no $ in it so they would rather write tickets they know we can pay for.

Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote