Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
Montana_5241

M.O.C. #5241
Rear Entry steps

I recently purchased a 2006 rear entry that is 32 feet long, we are having a problem with the rear steps dragging when we go into any gas station, restaurant, etc, if there is a dip or incline into area they drag and are now bent, has anyone else encountered this problem.

Montana_5241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh yes ..had the same problem with our TT.Just one of the things you have to watch out for when Rv'ing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Yes, I take my rear steps on my 06 2955RL off when I go on the ferry because I am sure a low tide ramp would destroy them. It only takes 5 minutes to remove the 4 bolts that hold them on.

I like the floor plan with a rear entrance but unfortunately this is one drawback.

Because Montanas have a built in door well, the 3 step porch hangs a little lower than some other brands with a flat floor entrance.

I like the built in door well because it lowers the door and increases your awning clearance.

The stairs are fairly heavy and I am thinking of designing a track that would support the weight while I take out the bolts or take a couple tapered pins along to do the same thing just to make the job a little easier because it might be wise to take them off on my travel days if they are going to be a problem. Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The only 32' rear entry Montana is the 2955RL which is the rig we have and after 2+ years of full timing we have yet to drag the steps or anything else. I would suggest that you enter/exit these dips or inclines at approxamitely 30 to 45 degrees.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Is this a trailer or a 5er?? Does the TT sit lower than a 5er??

I can see it happening if you have a TT that sits lower. Our TT really sat low and believe me, we could drag the rear end. We did what Glenn talks about whenever possible, go in at an angle. Or, pick another entrance or gas station or whatever. Passed many a gas station with too steep an entrance.

How much does that ferry cost ya Don, and how far do you go on it each way???
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I have the Mountaineer 335RLBS which is a 35' 8" travel trailer with a rear entrance. The floor at the door is level so I don't have a problem with the steps dragging, but I have dragged the rear bumper going into a steep entrance. As the others have said, try to take these entrances at an angle and if you're not sure, drive to another station.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Going into entrances at an angle sounds like a good idea.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Al and Carol, the Ferry costs me a cool 190.00 Can each way and that is about 150.00 US
We like the crossing from Tawassen (Vancouver) to Sydney (Victoria) run because they have a nice buffet and they cruise through the Gulf Islands and it is more scenic. It is a 90 minute run. Check out BC Ferries.com for more info. Vancouver Island is truly beautiful and many very wealthy people are buying property around here. Victoria has the highest home prices in Canada and a modest bungalow sells for half a million bucks. If you ever decide to come over, let us know and Donna and I will be happy to show you around. Take care. Don & Donna Chambers.

Glen & Lorraine, Glad to hear your rear steps have not caused a problem.
I might be more concerned than I should be but I will not take a chance on the Ferry ramp. Also when I got my 2955RL home I did notice that the steps have been bent slightly so the contract hauler caught them on something. Also your Chev is a little lower than my Ford 4x4 and 2 inches in 32 feet is not that noticable but it does make my steps a little closer to the ground than yours . Take care. Don & Donna
Old 01-23-2006, 03:03 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We have a 2955 also never had a problem in 3 years.Lot of hills and dips in this area
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:29 AM   #10
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
We have the 2955 Montana and we have noticed our steps sit a little "whompy jawed", that is in Texas venacular..LOL, but not too bad. You just have to be careful coming in and out of these places that might make you drag... And watch those curbs, they are the worst when turning
and sometimes we will go over one, if we make a tight turn. That is when the steps catch and drag. We try to watch closely to keep from doing that. I wish that Keystone could design the steps better to where that they don't sit so low. Other than that, we really like the 2955 design and are very happy with it.
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:08 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Yes , with the door well , Montanas could almost get by with a 2 step porch but I measured it out and the first step would be a tad high so I will just continue to remove mine if I know I am going to do a Ferry ramp.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:36 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Wrenchtraveller,

Thanks for the reply on the fees, etc. on ferry. Interesting

As far as a 2 step on my Montana, I HOPE NOT!! EVER!!! I love that short step span on mine. I have never cared for long step spans, in a house, in a RV, on a deck, just don't like them, they feel unnatural to me and I tend to trip on them. Yep, the step in the door well and the 3 steps outside, mmmmmm, tis a good thing for ole Carol.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:37 AM   #13
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Carol & Al, you are right about Montanas being easy to get in and out of. I think the step well inside the unit makes a big difference and the other trailers I owned that did not have this feature were not as nice to get into.

The 2955RL is the only Montana model that has the steps behind the rear wheels so all the other models are fine with clearance issues. I really don't mind removing my steps as I will probably take my unit off the Island once a year until I retire in 5 years and then we might move to the Mainland so I don't have those 400 dollar ferry rides.

Yorkies are neat little dogs and the Dog breeder we bought our female Doberman with also raised Yorkies. It was a puppy mill and we felt we rescued our Dobie but to this day she is terrified of small dogs so we think the Yorkies might have intimidated her when she was a puppy as I know Yorkies are fiesty little guys. Take care, Don.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:52 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Don,

A study of the breeds, and a study of yorks, sometimes brings along big surprises. They may be small in stature, but don't tell the yorks, they think God granted them 70 pound bodies! That is why owners need to protect them from others, and from themselves! They are fiesty little bits!
Old 01-29-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Well said Carol.....Les and Sue
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Don,

A study of the breeds, and a study of yorks, sometimes brings along big surprises. They may be small in stature, but don't tell the yorks, they think God granted them 70 pound bodies! That is why owners need to protect them from others, and from themselves! They are fiesty little bits!
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote