Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Important heads up from a dealer

I was discussing mud dauber screens with the service manager at Lifestyle RVS in KC. He said a common problem with refrigerators is these nest building insects. They love to build in the back of your refrigerator. Enough nests and it can cause the unit to fail.

Here is the heads up. If the refrigerator fails due to these nests in your unit, it is NOT covered by your warranty. I was strongly advised to screen both the upper and lower refrigerator vents as well as the water heater vent and the heater vent.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
What part of the country are these insects from?
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quadzillion of them here in the Midwest. Good info, Stiles. First thing I did, I have them everywhere here in the ole Ozz homestead. I have a can of wasp spray wherever I am, BBQ grill, pool area, shop detached garage. The little buggers build the nests all over, they are like flies.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:51 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
They get EVERYWHERE here in Texas. We live in the country and I have a couple of vehicles that I don't use much (including our TV for the Montana). I have to get them out of the bed (covered with a fiberglass cover), under the hood, even had them come out of the A/C vents. We use a lot of mothballs - not real good for the environment but they do a pretty good job of keeping them (and other little critters) out of critical places.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thyeb are plain ole wasp's , called by many names,
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We use a small cotton bag of moth balls
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:19 AM   #7
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I was warned by my dealer to keep them clean. The screens I have seen are finer than the hot water and heater screens. If you do not do regular cleaning it will cause your frig to over heat. The screens also go on the inside of the frig cover. Out of sight out of mind. Last time I was at the dealer they showed me a softball sized nest out of an A/C unit. They were all talking about the customer having to buy an A/C unit because this was not covered. I think they were enjoying it. I have them on the water heater and heater but was a little reluctant to do the frig. My concern was more for blocking the propane exhaust and either getting carbon monoxide inside or a fire.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
mtpocket2, the ones I purchased for the refrigerator are made from the same size material as the ones for the hot water and furnace.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 AM   #9
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
FYI - mud daubers (dirt daubers) may belong to the same family as wasps, but they do not sting, just build their nests in inappropriate places!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:50 AM   #10
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I cut a piece of standard fiberglass screen a bit larger than the outside covers for the fridge. I pulled the covers and reinstalled the covers over the screen and trimmed the excess. Nobody knows the screens are there except me and the dirty little pests when they try to access the area.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #11
jeffwilliams1954
Established Member

M.O.C. #7585
I seriously doubt a dealer or manaufacturer can void a warranty if no one makes or sells anything to fit your refrigerator vents. I can't see if you have to cut or make something to cover over your fridge vents how having bugs in there will void the warranty. If a company doesn't make it that way in the first place, then why should a person have to modify it so it won't void a warranty? Is there any company that makes special fridge vent screens?
jeffwilliams1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #12
jeffwilliams1954
Established Member

M.O.C. #7585
I seriously doubt a dealer or manaufacturer can void a warranty if no one makes or sells anything to fit your refrigerator. I can't see if you have to cut or make something to cover over your fridge vents how having bugs in there will void the warranty. If a company doesn't make it that way in the first place, then why should a person have to modify it so it won't void a warranty? Is there any company that makes special fridge vent screens?
jeffwilliams1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
No one said the warranty was voided. What was said is that the warranty does not cover damage or failure done by dirt dauber nests. It also does not cover damage done by a ball peen hammer. No warranty covers any and every possible circumstance. A manufacturer's warranty doesn't cover damage done if your rig burns due to some other cause. You insurance carrier will, but not the manufacturer's warranty.

I don't know of a warranty that would cover things that fall into the category of "natural calamities", willful intent, or negligence. Bugs or animals damaging equipment is not a design or mechanical failure.

Screens precut for vent openings can be found at most any RV supply or store. They are sized and shaped for almost any brand or size of equipment that needs them.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #14
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am so happy to find this post. On our trip last month we were discussing this with our RV buddies at the lake. He had found a huge yellow jacket nest in his fridge area. After he told me about this I checked our unit and found a small yellow jacket nest. We voted on a road trip to CW where we could find no screens built for the fridge vents. I don't want to construct my own and put on there because of air flow constrictions.
Is there a company out there who makes a bee screen for the fridge vent?
If not what is the best thing to do?
Ozz...lest see picts of your mod on this one bud.

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Phil,
I made mine out of aluminum gutter screens, just cut to fit with tin snips and used that Dicor roofing cement. It's on the inside of the covers, so no one sees the fix.
Ozz
Old 09-19-2007, 06:58 AM   #16
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You can get fiberglass and/or aluminum screen at Home Depot, Lowes, or similar store. Same screen as on screen windows and doors so air flows freely. The fiberglass you can cut with regular scissors and glue it in with many types glue.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We have wasps, (I guess-something) around here that eat through that fiberglass.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #18
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
So that there will be no misunderstanding, I asked the representative from Dometic at the rally about whether the dirt dauber nesting or any critter damage was covered by the warranty. The answer was that that is not a warranty issue. It would not be covered.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #19
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
My furnace vent says "Do not Cover thsi outlet with a screen!" I guess I lose no matter what I do.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #20
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
MY DW, Said she was smelling the Black tank. Me being a passed smoker, can't smell a think= I had MUDCHIEF pick up a black tank vent cap from Camper World while he was traveling and when I got it, and I removed the little round cap on the top of the vent I discovered that the MUDDOBBERS decided to build a mounment to their elders in the vent pipe. It was clogged solid. I removed the nest's and placed stainless steel mesh in the vent pipe's all over the roof. Everyone needs to do this, as these wasps may not be around your home, but if you traveling anywhere south or midwest, it you park THEY GOTCHA.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote