Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Anyone using a macerator?

If you are using a macerator, how well does it work for you, and what problems have you had?
If you are NOT using a macerator, why did you decide not to?
All inputs appreciated.
Thanks.
Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Longwell

If you are using a macerator, how well does it work for you, and what problems have you had?
All inputs appreciated.
Thanks.
Larry
Hi Larry,

I use one when I dump at home. The septic connection is uphill from the Montana and the macerator does a great job of pumping the stuff.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Longwell

All inputs appreciated.
Thanks.
Larry
Larry,
We use our macerator when the conditions warrant like when we park at my uncle's home in Victorville, CA. He has a sewer inlet in his driveway which is almost 115 feet from where we park. For the past three years when we are there, I've macerated the septic outputs through a one-half inch hose without a problem. I didn't purchase one of the CW ready-made macerators, I built my own using a macerator pump I purchased from an RV accessory outlet (don't remember the name of the outlet--they put out a catalog). We've found many places where we have used the macerator even to the point of running the hose through an upstairs window at a friend's house and macerating into his toilet. I wouldn't fulltime without a macerator. I believe they are well worth the money even if you only use them occasionally. Just knowing I can do it is peace of mind when we park.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:51 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Heard about them but never consider owning one. Maybe I'll take a closer look as it would work great when camping at my daughters.
What are we talking price wise??
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:45 AM   #5
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
Check out Empty Tanks. They have a macerator and a good explanation of how they work.
whiptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Pricewise, Camping World has kit for $240.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have the sewer solution which is water powered and are quite happy with it.
http://www.sewersolution.com/
The hose is heavy duty and doesn't get holes in it and takes up less space. I think the only downside may be if you don't have a black tank flush you may not get this tank clean as you don't have the fast rush of water running out that you get with the 3' hose. Other than this it works great and we have had no problems with it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
I had them on boats that we owned many years ago when we had teenagers. Our daughter and her girlfriends were continually putting sanitary napkins in the toilets that totally destroys the macerator. I had to replace three of them in one year, not a pleasant job.

Bill
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Check the marine stores. There are a lot more of them in boats than in RVs. Almost every boat capable of over nighting has a macerator.

www.westmarine.com
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I second Charlie's positive comments about the Sewer Solution, which I believe is a less expensive way to push the black stuff thru a small hose than a macerator, and neater to clean up than the traditional 3" dump hose.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
David,

Does that mean that you use the Sewer Solution and not the traditional 3" sewer hose? The reason I am asking, is I have been trying to look into the pros and cons of the 3" hose vs the Sewer Solution (macerator) as the means of voiding my tanks at camp sites.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:08 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Whether you use the Sewer Solution or a macerator is a matter of choice. It isn't one of this ones better than the other. One unit cleans up just as easily as the other and the expense is no greater. If I was looking for which system to get, I'd observe both of them in action. There are enough people around with either one or the other of the methods. Of course, you'll find most of the weekend campers and the occasional vacation campers who will only use the traditional method of disposing of their waste.

Orv
Old 09-08-2007, 03:36 AM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
As some of the other post have stated, I use mine for when I have to dump at home which is not often, maybe 2 times per year, some might thing it is costly for two time per year, but I dont because it save me the frustration of pulling the 5er to a facility that has a dump.
It is not as fast as using the 3 inch dump hose, and if you are pushing it a long distance down a 1" hose you can do the math.
Also you have to be carfull on what goes down the toilet too, no flushable baby wipes, just TP or other material that brakes up with your cemicales. otherwise it will rap around the chopper blade and not work properly, then you do have a problem,
Other than that, I like mine, but if you are in a hurry to dump it's no race horse.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The Sewer Solution sounded like a good idea, but remember that you need a good water supply for it to work. This may not be a problem when you are at home, but on the road, I have noticed that the flushing water hoses often have banged up threads that won't connect properly. It all depends on where you plan on using it, but I think I would prefer the 12 volt powered pump for maximum flexibility of use.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

The Sewer Solution sounded like a good idea, but remember that you need a good water supply for it to work. This may not be a problem when you are at home, but on the road, I have noticed that the flushing water hoses often have banged up threads that won't connect properly. It all depends on where you plan on using it, but I think I would prefer the 12 volt powered pump for maximum flexibility of use.
I agree, that's mainly why I have the macerator. It's nice knowing I can pump over 100 feet (have done that) and up to a second story toilet (have done that also), and the cleanup is as simple as pumping clean water through the system.

Orv
Old 09-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Of course, you'll find most of the weekend campers and the occasional vacation campers who will only use the traditional method of disposing of their waste.

Orv
Orv,
I must take exception to your comment. I have found more full timers, such as myself, are still using only the so called "traditional method" than I have found using any Sewer Solution or a macerator. I will even stick my neck out and say less than 10% of the MOC full timers use neither the Sewer Solution nor the macerator.
Earlier I did post somewhat of an interest in the macerator but after doing a little research on my own I doubt I will waste the money on something I have yet to have a need for even after 4 years of full timing in well over 125 different sewer hook up situations.

But as they say "to each his own"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Glenn,
No problem. I didn't intend my comments that full timers didn't use the traditional method of dumping. I also use the traditional method except when I can't.

Orv
Old 09-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #18
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Thanks to all of you for responding.
I'd say it's personal preference, based on the postings.
I'm gonna try to find someone who uses one and see it in action, then decide.
Thanks again.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #19
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Kinda with the forces that say, why??

We have been camping/rving for yikes, 35 years??

Have not needed one yet.

KKKK, not fulltimers, but 35 years is a LONG time!

Comes down to ya gotta chose what gear is most important to you, and what you have room for. Carol votes for water softener, WAYYYY over a macerator.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #20
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I have a home made sewer pump that is similar to the sewer solution. The pump uses the venturi effect to break up the solids and move (pump) the sewer to the dump beside my house. I also use it for full-hookup sites since it uses a 1.25" hose and doesn't have to be supported. You can build this with common PVC pipe you will find at your local home center. I have made two of these, the most recent is smaller and is easier to store. Here's a link to my website with pictures.

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...sewr_pump.html

This works very well for me as I don't need to string 30' of the 3" flexible hose to dump at home. We have a W/D and this system works great since we leave the gray water tank valve open when using the W/D.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote