Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
TOM F
Established Member

M.O.C. #5959
how to store cords and hoses

How and where do you store your shore power cords, water hoses and filter(if you have one) I always want the one on the bottom of the pile and was looking for some way to hang or wind them on to something.

TOM F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We store our cords and adapters in the front compartment and our water hoses we bought some brackets from Home Depot and hang them in the side compartment. Works good for us.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TOM F

How and where do you store your shore power cords, water hoses and filter(if you have one) I always want the one on the bottom of the pile and was looking for some way to hang or wind them on to something.
I recently went to the local Chapel of St. Mart (wal-mart) and spent $5 for a round laundry basket just for that purpose. When preparing to leave, I coil the "extra" water hose (for washing bugs, dirt, etc) in the bottom, then the hose for the camper (drinking water, etc), and then the power cord on top. Then, when we arrive at a new camping site, the power cord is on top, the drinking water hose is next, and the last hose remains in the basket until needed.
wegriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I posted a tip about 2 year ago on storing the water hoses. I use the space on each side of the propane tanks to store my water hoses and water filter. I use one side for my fresh water hoses and the other side for my black water and car washing hoses. I simply roll up the hoses, bungee them and squeeze then in next to propane tanks. The added benefit is that any dripping simply falls through the opening on the floor.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same as Steves..works good and leaves more room in the side compartments.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Now I've gotta move the hoses, because it makes sense about the propane compartments, definitely like that idea. The more that is posted here, the longer my to-do list gets!!!! But, that is why I monitor this forum. Thanks for the ideas everyone.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We just moved our hoses the other day to the propane compartment after Steve R made this suggestion to us. Looks like it will work just fine. We made the mistake of buying a 50 ft. water hose. As soon as it wears out it will be replaced with 2 25 footers that we will hook together when needed. The 50 ft. is just too big to deal with easily.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Sue, you could get a "male" and a "female" hose reapir kits and cut that 50' hose in half. It may be a loooong time before it needs replacing!

Bingo - rather than putting the move on your to-do list, this should warrant an RV trip and then just put them up in the new location. Never turn down an opportunity for another trip !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #9
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I mounted some Double Hooks in the front compartment:

Organized CHAOS!:

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Vanman,
I will show your reply to DW, I am all for it, now I have leverage for this weekend......"Dear, we have to pull somewhere before I forget about the proper MOC-recommended (on edit:Steves) storage suggestion for water hoses!!!!!" Ho Ho away we go (hopefully).
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #11
TOM F
Established Member

M.O.C. #5959
Okay - keep them coming, I am going to use Steves and Jpbcny ideas. The hoses are going to the propane compartments and I like the hooks so far for the electrical cords. Anyone else have any ideas before I head to the hardware store.
TOM F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have been using the Propane compartment for hoses for 5 Years put Ext cords up in front compartment near battery.When Traveling just lay the power cord (30AMP)inside the door.Just open the door and plug in I do that prior to opening the slides
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is where I keep my power cord also (I assume you mean the main front door??), last thing in and first thing out. Always keep it wiped down since the wipe down process provides the opportunity for a complete check of the cord length.
Bingo

Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Well, I take a little different approach. I use an under-the-bed plastic container to store my three, 10 ft sewer hoses, all my hook-ups and a 25ft black water house. On top of this I place the laundry basket with my coiled electric hookup cord in it. I have a two drawer plastic container (from walmart) that I use the top drawer for two 25ft water hoses, pressure regulators, water filter, spray nozzel etc in. The bottom drawer I use for those 2 thousand little things like adapters, screw/nail assortment box, etc. Works for me.

Works for me.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I keep water hoses, propane hoses, extension cords, ladder, flairs, drills, impact gun, and other tools in the tool box in the back of the truck.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:31 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Vanman's idea was pure genius!!!!!! Convinced Dw and DD's that we had to go camping this weekend so I could properly store the water hoses. Well actually, didn't have to mention the water hoses to DD's but DW did listen with feigned interest (her usual response when I mention something new I learned on the MOC forum). Regardless, another weekend in the Monty - Life is good!!! Thanks Vanman for the idea.
Bingo

Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #17
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Slightly different use here with my water hoses. I have one of the 5 gal buckets (originally had laundry soap or some such thing but Home Depot carries something similar). I cut a hole in the side just above the bottom and a notch our to the lid. I use quick disconnect to be able to quickly switch between the city input, the black tank flush, my clear insert with hose connection for the sewer line and things like a hoze nozzle to spray down items. I have a custom city connection rig that consists of a pressure regulator seperate spicket to attach another hose to if needed and a 3 foot section of hose that feeds through the hole in the bottom of the convience center so with the quick disconnects I can disconnect the line without having to open up the basement door. When travelling, the hose is coiled in the bucket and the nozzel, the pressure regulator rig and a PVC nozzle to fit into the gravity fresh water fill all sit in the center of the coiled hose in the bucket. In the campsite the hose is feed out the hole in the base and the notch in the lid such that the bucket sits under the belly of the Monty and all excess hose remains neatly stowed inside the bucket. works for me.

I have a second bucket for power cords (4 different pigtails, 2 30 Amp cords, a 30 amp yellow plug in, ect.) My 50 amp cord and surge protector do not fit in the bucket. I will look at storing them in one of the propane tank voids but worry a little because that compartment is not lockable and the surge protector alone is worth $350. I don't imagine the 50 Amp cord and plug is cheap either!

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #18
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
Black Water Dump hose goes in the compartment built for that. A big rectangular clothes basket houses the 4 aluminum screw jacks I use before and after the wheels to help stabilize the fiver, along with my homemade Roto-Chocks, the treated lumber 2 x 6 pieces I put under my landing gear and stabilizer legs the fresh water hose with the ends screwed together and the shore power cord. When I go to set up, I simply get the laundry basket out and start setting everything up. The 10 in. x 10 in. x 12 in. tall solid oak blocks which go under the jacks go in the back of the truck. They can also be used in conjunction with the 2 6 ton bottle jacks to help when replacing a tire. The general purpose hose which is used for washing things and flushing the black water tank simply gets screwed end to end and tied with velcro ties and laid in the basement floor. The water regulator & exterior carbon water filter stay screwed together and and I have end caps which are screwed on each end to prevent contamination when stored and they are placed in a special plastic storage box along with the water hose splitter and a spare regulator and other things which I want to keep clean. All this makes setup organized and simple for me. When hoses are screwed end to end they don't leak.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #19
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
I bought a 25' collapsing hose for water supply and a 50' collapsing hose for either the FlushKing or should I have to "go down the throat" of the toilet. Both hoses come on reels so after disconnecting both ends of the hose, putting the male end into the recess on the hose reel, it's very easy to roll up and drain it at the same time. Got the hoses from Camping World. The reel is ~8x12 oval and 2" thick. Fits in the front comparment of our 344 Mountaineer, but I keep the hoses separated - i.e., the 50' goes on the side next to the battery with the FlushKing. Both of the hoses are approved for fresh water supply.

John Ware
San Antonio, TX
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:18 AM   #20
Yoganut

M.O.C. #7414
I am going to try using the propane compartments for my hoses so thanks for that idea. I started using these " gumby sticks " on my last trip and I like them better than bungy cords.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...r/P1000087.jpg
Yoganut is offline   Reply With Quote