Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
justbeginning
Established Member

M.O.C. #7130
axels - again

Before buying our Montana I thought I had done all my homework and before buing the Montana I asked the dealer what size of axels our Monte had ( the deal was made over the phone as the dealer is 7 hours away from our home) He assured me it had 7000lb axels, he even cofirmed this by asking a fellow salesman. When we got the Monte home we realized that we in fact have 6000lb axels. Called the dealer warranty dept. and they stated there were no recalls on any axels. Said they called Keystone and Keystone stated that all 5th wheels that they imported into Canada could only have 6000lb axels. Said it was the law in Canada. A lot of our friends have the same size(not Montanas) fifth wheels as we do and they have 7000lb axels. I called Keystone myself and a girl named Carmen also told me the same thing. When I questioned her as to what the difference was (canada or U.S )she said she didn't know but stated we were perfectly legal as the 6000lb axels were the maximun allowed on the Montana in Canada. Something is wrong with this picture, don't you think. Makes you wonder if there is something under the Monte that isn't stong enough to handle the stronger axels. I have a call into the Minister of transport and the person I spoke to is checking into it for me. Called Canada Customs and they have no idea what Keystone is referring to. We belong to both the Coast to Coast Resorts and Good Sam and I am in the process of drafting letters to their action lines. I dealt on thjis rig in good faith and I hate being lied to and mislead.

PS Just got a return call from the ministery of transport. He laughed when I told hin about the supposed rule in Canada. He wants me to keep him posted on this. He also gave me number for the Motor Vehicle Council of B.C.

justbeginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
i belive if it was in writing in the contract that they are 7000 lb you have a legal fight on your hands ,, if its the dealer that said yes they are 7000 lbs lets expose the dealer and make him own up to the mistake , even if cann does not allow7000 lb he owes a return call on the order to say you can't get them ... axels are very big on my thinking as they all should be bigger yet as you don't see a semi going down the rd with tooo small axels ,, they build in a back up for safty and legal things john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
The more I read about this .... the more I don't want another Montana!!!!
We are beginning to look elsewhere since I have been reading about this axel problem with other Montana owners.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:11 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Not sure what exactly defines axle problems, but our 3400RL came with 6000# axles. At present this suits our needs fine since it allows us to carry about a ton (don't crucify me, this is approximate). If this presents a problem in the future, I may consider upgrading to the 7000# axles that are now available. The 6000# axles do not concern me, they are not a problem, they only set you carrying capacity for the Monty. I think I remember somewhere on another post that the upgrade is relatively economic. I will continue weighing and react accordingly. If I were fulltiming, I may consider the upgrade immediately, but I cannot for the life of me fathom hauling two tons of weight around in our unit. This is my opinion only and this justification is only served to appease myself!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:05 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bingo, I agree with you. This is our second Montana with 6000 pound axels and no problem. What most people forget is that when something is tested, it is tested to the point that it breaks then the engineering standard is to rate it at half that break point. My 3400 loaded has 10,420 pounds on those 12,000 pound total rated axels.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:38 AM   #6
k0nsa
Established Member

M.O.C. #7073
Send a message via ICQ to k0nsa Send a message via AIM to k0nsa Send a message via Yahoo to k0nsa
We're picking up our new 3400 on Friday and I confirmed that we have the 7000lb axels. The weight sticker inside the Monty shows a dry weight of 11,800lbs, which is what the 2007 brochure indicates as well for the 3400 model so I'm glad we have the bigger axels. I'm anxious to get the new trailer loaded up and officially weighed to find our what our traveling weight will be.

If it were me purchasing a new 3400's with the 11,800lbs dry weight and I found out I only had 6000# axels I'd be fighting it too...
k0nsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:55 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
First of all we are now learning that the 7K axles are not really 7K axles but 6750K axles.Next the posters issue was that he , in good faith purchased a unit that was to have 7K or maybe 6750K axles and did not receive what he ordered.He is receiving conflicting information from various sources.Lets see you order dual pane windows and you do not get them..I say we do not have dual pane windows and have never had a problem.. your problem is solved..right.. .The poster was sharing his experience and advising us of his progress in resolution. It may help someone else with the same issue. Our 06 3400 with 6K axles has a "stated" CC of 2325LBS.. Tne 073400 with 7K/6750K axles has a Stated CC of 3940LBS a diff of 1615LBs..which does not compute??? Oh and a thought occurred to me..If the 7K axles are really 6750K..I wonder what the 6K axles really are?? no don't need to ask...have the 6K axles and never had a problem////// It is my OPINION that the mentioned issue is more a matter of miss information/ miss understanding and poor communications that a deliberate attempt to deceive on anyones part???/
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree with all (Rich included) that if I had been told one thing and received another that I would definitely be upset and would be pursuing what I was promised. My post was merely to dispute the fact that there is a problem with the axles. The problem is in the receipt of a unit that was not what was promised or at least discussed. It is still my opinion that there is not any problem with the axles, they are what they are. Ours are 6000, others are 7000, makes no difference to me personally. I will still consider upgrading when weight dictates that I do so.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:46 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We understood we had 6K axles on the 3400 when we purchased and we thought that was kind of marginal on a camper that large but it was not a show stopper and since we understand what our CC is and we go to great lengths to stay well within it we can truly say we have not had a problem and do not expect to.We are not concerned that there is a problem with the axles be they 6K, 6750K or 7K.We do sense that there is a problem in understanding and communication and we do agree that the poster has a problem. We do not see in the post that the poster thinks there is a problem with the axles rather there is a problem with getting what he ordered..
Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 AM   #10
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I do believe that the dealer owes justbeginning a new set of 7000# axles as ones word should be as good as a contract.

A little off topic but Rich said his axles are 6750# and after crawling under our Big Sky I found the paper tag that has the shipping info from Dexter to Keystone and there PO number. Also was the following "HF=85.50" and "SC=68.50" and "Dex #62371, D70". I understand that HF means hub face to hub face or the the distance face to face of the hubs but not sure what "SC" means. I assume it is referring to the axle capacity of 6850# or does the D70 refer to that? I am confused.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:27 AM   #11
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Dick,
Near the shipping label stamped in the tube of the axle is the rating of the axle. It's a little hard to see but it is there on the Dexter axle. If you had a piece of chalk to rub on it would be a lot easier to see. My 2955 says 5200 minus wheels and rims (what ever that means) and the model number.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dick,

If your axles are stamped D70 and your tag on the side says GAWR 7,000, you have 7,000 axles. That was a selling feature on the Big Sky when they first introduced in November.

I still think the 7K axles that starting showing up on the 3400 and other heavier units was just a windfall of the Big Sky production, as they use the same frame.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:24 AM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I did not mean there was a problem with the axles.
What I was referring to is the problem ordering one thing and getting something else. That is what worries me about Montana these days.
I would not accept a unit if it did not have what I ordered.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #14
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Sounds like you need to get past "Carmen" at Keystone and find someone who can tell you why 6 K axles are OK (by spec) for your Monty, and why there aren't 7 K axles on yours. If there is a piece of signed paper which mentions 7 K axles, either in the order, specs or delivery documents, the Dealership owes you a set of 7 K axles, for sure..

The story of the max limit of 6 K axles on a Monty in Canada is so bizarre that there must be a piece of paper stating that (or something sort of like that) floating around in the bowels of the MOT or Canadian Customs bureaucracy. Nobody could invent a reason/excuse like that. Export dept (or person) at Keystone should know those details. Be interesting to find out what that is all about.

On the bright side, 3450 Montana Forums haven't had that problem...hopefully, either the dealer or Keystone will make it right..

Good luck...
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not say we had 6750K axles.We said we were told that the 7K Axel was really rated at 6750lbs .We were told that while on the Big sky plant tour in April.We were also told that the designation would be changed.. Nothing different, no change in axel just a change in DESINGNATION..like a paperwork change to reflect the accurate rating.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #16
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
T
o whom it may concern:

Took my 3475RL to grain elevator when we got back from Branson Mo.
Trailer Wt. 12160#
Axle of trailer 9640#
Pin Wt 2520#
So I come to the conclusion that my trailer has enough axles to handle the weight. This was with a full tank of fresh warter and pretty well loaded as we get to travel.
Richard E. Smith
jars

jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #17
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
the next time you weigh yor unit go to a cat scale and you can weigh the axels sepert and the toungh sep from all as you will find the axels do not carry equie weight ,, why i'll never know but i did it twice on dif scales and its true .. i am trying to find the paper work now but i know the front axel if i rem rite carries more and i have mor-ryd on my 06 unit

john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:17 AM   #18
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have done a bit of research into axles, and have found out a few things about them they may be of interest.

Dexter make both 6000 lb axles and 7000 lb axle assemblies, and remember it is the whole "assembly", (axle tube, springs and brakes) that the rating applies to. Both axles use the same axle tube, the only differences are in the brakes and springs used with the axle assembly. Our 3670RL has a 6000lb rated axle, but Dexter were able to tell me that it already had the 7000lb brake assembly, so there was little to be gained by "upgrading" to a 7000 lb axle.

In Canada (or at least in some jurisdictions within Canada), Dexter's 7000 lb axle can only be rated for 6750 lbs.

On some models, Keystone use the 7000 lb axle, derated to 6750 lbs, so that they can sell the same trailer in Canada and the U.S.

The Dexter axle rating applies to the carrying capacity of the axle assembly, the wheels and tires are not "carried" and therefore their weight should not be included.

If you copy down the numbers stamped on your axle tube, and send it to Dexter Customer Service, they can tell you exactly what you have under your trailer.

Dexter also told me that other higher rated axle sizes (e.g. 8000 lb)probably would not fit on the Montana frame because of clearances required.

Hope this helps explain some of the confusion around axle ratings. Most of this information came directly from Dexter.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #19
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
When in doubt go to the source (mfg.,etc.).
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great post, John, and valuable information.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote