Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Dual Pane Windows - how common?

I'm trying to decide if a used Montana without Dual Pane windows and one 1500 BTU AC is reasonable for primarily fair weather summer use. Particularly a 2005 3670 with the "Arctic Insulation" and tinted single pane windows.

Are Dual Pane Windows a common/popular option for Montanas?

We expect to spend most of our travel time in the deep south FL to CA. With relatives in TX and AZ, we could be in some very hot climates - but not full-timing or facing very cold temps.

When we thought we might fulltime and spend much more $$ on a much more expensive RV in lieu of a house, double paned windows were common.

Noise, condensation reduction are obvious benefits.

But within the Montana community, again, my question is how common/normal are dual pane windows? Most of the Montana's for sale do not mention this feature.

I've searched the forum and it looks like dual pane windows are uncommon.

Also, any estimate of what it costs to add a second AC to pre-wired Montana?

Thanks for your welcome and advice to this newbie Montana wanna-be in AL!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As we have learned the dual pane windows aid in noise reduction but have little or nothing to do with Heat/cold.These are NOT your stick house dual pane windows. I would not let the dual pane window issue, have or have not, hold you back from a good deal.I am sure folks who have added the 2nd A/c will be along to give you a estimate.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I'm like Rich on the window issue. Don't let that stop you. As far as the A/C goes, I live in So.Fla. and unless you are able to park in the shade our one a/c does not do justice. It is 15k. But then again I like it cooler than most. Get your Montana at a good price and go from there.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Our first Montana had single pane windows and we were always puting up plastic and it became a pain,off to open the window on when it got cold.We live year round in colorado so it is cold. We now have the duel pane window and will always have them in the future the may not be the stick house window but IMO they help winter and summer we can sit by a window and not wear a sweater. IMO

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the Forum Chas!

We don't have dual pane, so I have no experience with the benefits. Because they are an option not normally associated with the value packages, I believe more are produced without dual pane windows.

The front AC should cost around $500 - $650 plus install, depending on brand.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dual pane windows are very much the exception rather than the rule. There are far more RVs out there without dual pane than there are with. Many of these without have been RVing for many many years in both hot and cold climates. The very fact that many of these experienced RVers do not have them, in my opinion, speaks volumes.
I winter in Florida from October to May. Although not as hot as the summer months it still gets up into the hi 80's low 90's. I am on my second Montana with out dual pane and have no intention of even considering them. Instead with our rear living room I opted for a CareFree SunShade over the rear window. It's on the outside and operates much like the old window shades.
In Florida, our trailer faces north so we have the HOT afternoon sun beating down on our rear window. Putting the SunShade on has dropped our inside temp tremendously. When laying back in the recliner just inside that window I felt like my head was in an oven. Installing the SunShade made all the difference in the world AND you can keep the day/night shades up. You can see out but the sun doesn't get in. Not so with dual pane windows. The Sun will penetrate through glass, even two layers, and will heat up the inside area. Maybe not as much as single pain but penetrate it will.
Next winter, I will be adding SunShades to the street side windows as they get the late afternoon, early evening sun.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Wow!
What a great forum! Thanks so much for the prompt advice and specific answers!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Glenn

Did you do the install of the carefree sunshade?

John
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have the dual pane and like them very much. I have no intention of even considering Carefree Sun Shades.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We passed on the dual pane windows after we learned that they did very little in the heat/cold department and thought it was a steep price to pay for some noise deadening. We have not had a problem, thus far, with excessive noise. We also got quotes for window awnings and rear window shades for the 3400. Turns out the complete package is way over our budget however the rear window shade is 294.00 installed and we would like to get them..If I can get enough bus charters in over the next 30 days..perhaps???
Old 05-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We also have the dual pane windows and will never be without them again. Nooise reduction is outstanding, and there is a benefit re:dol and sweating windows. My furnace has come on four times in the morning and is off for and hour at a time when it is cold. (33-37 which is hwat we have ahd a few mornings here in beautiful aAllyn by the sea) Brrrr.
Love 'Em.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
We don't have the dual panes and as you can see on my signature i have 06 3670. I ordered without dual panes but WOULD NOT be without 2nd ac. I live in louisiana and one unit just will not cut it. If you are camping in area's as you stated are traveling i would have the second one installed.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:43 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by harleyrider

Glenn

Did you do the install of the carefree sunshade?

John
No, dealer installed. You could do it but you will need a good quality pop rivet gun capable of handling large rivets and it is a 2 man 2 ladder job.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:22 AM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Up here in the Canadian north dual panes are now becomming the norm very quickly. The duals make all the difference in cool temps with the high humidity we experience. In our opinion they are warmer, quieter and just don't sweat like the singles do. We just spent the weekend at the lake with cool temps at night near freezing and days of drizzle/rain and our windows were always clear of any moisture. The benefits are clear to us.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #15
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I could not agree with you guys more. I was in Athabasca, Alberta 3 weeks ago,it was about 28F in the mornings and the windows were dry and warm. The unit feels more like a house than an RV. I have had RVs for over 30 years and only my last two have had dual panes.I will never own another RV without them and up here in the frozen north, an RV with single pane glass truly is a second class unit.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
If you have a choice I would go for the dual pane windows. They are also tinted. Our windows don't sweat and with the tint, which is dark does help to keep the sun light out. And during the day its it gives you a little more privacy. Also get the 2nd A/C if possible, you will not be sorry.... Good Luck with your choice. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #17
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We have tinted dual pane windows in our 2007 Montana,we have only been living full time since 5-17-07. Today 5-23-07 about 12:30 my wife made me a sandwhich and set it at the dinning table the sun was beating down and the temp was 85 degrees out. I sat down and the sun was on my face and shoulder, I didn't feel the heat and I touched the window and the inside one was cool to the touch. We have a front room a/c came with the montie and I had Triple A RV Center install a seacond bedroom a/c a brisk air by dometic. It cost $592 installed. I hope this was of help Randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:35 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not get the dual panes because we felt we did not need them as we intended to stay in temperate climates.After much homework and information from keystone it appeared that the dual panes were not intended to affect heat /cold. In other words they do not work at all like the home dual panes.We are mystified by folks who swear they work in keeping out heat/cold when there is data to the contrary. However ..if it makes a difference to you..then it does. We have not had steaming or sweating windows as we provide proper ventilation like keeping a ceiling vent open a crack or running the oven vent when cooking.Note that there is nothing between the layers of glass in the camper dual panes and the space between then is very small.As a experiment, if you have a IR thermometer , when the sun is beating on the dual panes shoot the temp on the outside..then shoot the temp on the inside..I have done that...you are in for a surprise.. We are not anti dual panes..they do reduce noise as they were designed to do.. so will putting down the day night shades. In our case the MSVRP for the dual panes was 1118.00 and we traded that off for the V tailgate, Bedsaver and rv cam with dollars left over. There are many mysteries in life...this is one of them.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #19
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Data is data. Real life experience is real life experience. Sit beside a single pane window when the weather outside is below freezing and sit beside a dual pane, even a thin space RV dual pane and the comfort level is much higher with the dual pane. The day night shades cut very little noise down and darken your interior. I like to let light in, keep comfortable, and keep out the noise. An RV with dual panes feels like a stick house acoustically.
Dual panes are great. I would never consider owning an RV without them.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I understand about the dual pane windows..If they work for the individual then they work. No matter what . I lived and worked by the term "Data never lies" for most of my life and it has never failed.Now we may not like the Data, we may not agree with the data, we may not accept the data... we can even complety disregard it...but..it never lies.. We just did not get them because we did not need them.. We are fortunate enough to be able to hook this thing up and drag it to where dual panes make no difference.