Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2005, 08:23 AM   #1
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Cleaning stains on Composite Sink

To clean stains out of your kitchen sink use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Works real well and doesn't scratch. It will leave a dull spot on the counter top but you can't see it down in the sink.

Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:29 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Gene & Rose: The reason it is leaving it dull is because it has bleach in it. We don't use it.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 06:48 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
There were instructions on how to remove stains that came with your RV. I posted them several months ago as not everyone received them. If you do a search, you should find them. If not, post back and I'll repost.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
Just for the of it the wife checked the MSDS sheet for the Magic Eraser and there is NO bleach nor any hazardous materials. The directions do however say that you should test a small area first. So you can use it on the bowl of the sink but it will dull as proven above.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I've used an Orange cleaner, liquid paste type, with good results. Non-toxic and no change in the surface except it's cleaner.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
delrob
Established Member

M.O.C. #4322
I have some kind of stain in my sink that came up in it shortly after I got my trailer. I have had the trailer for a little over a year now. The co. wouldn't replace it. I have found one thing that will remove it. That is the proxcide and developer mixture to bleach your hair. The stain will come back after 2-3 weeks.
Any suggestions?
delrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This is a copy of the instructions we found in all the paper work that came with our Monty. So far we have had no problems with stains and we do drink wine so occassionally wine get on the counter (what a waste!).

Here are the cleaning instructions:

Soap and mild detergents will clean most stains. For stubborn stains use a white Scotch Brite pad and a nonabrasive cleaner like Soft Scrub.

For scratches, use a green Scotch Brite pad and an abrasive cleaner like Ajax or Comet. Cover an area large enough to blend the area being addressed. Use a circular motion.

For most stubborn stains and scratches start with 240 grit sandpaper then follow with green Scotch Brite pad and abrasive cleaner. Repeat if necessary. If you use sandpaper, wet surface area to control dust.

Do's and Don'ts:
Always run cool water when pouring boiling water into bowl.
Always use a hot pad or trivets under hot pots or dishes or heat producing appliances, such as frying pans and the like.
Always use a cutting board and never use a knife on countertop surface.
Avoid harsh chemicals like drain cleaners, oven cleaners, etc.
Only have a professional fabricator use power sanding equipment on the countertop materials.
Do not let cleaners with bleach sit on the countertop..wipe off immediately.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #8
delrob
Established Member

M.O.C. #4322
I have tried all this stuff to remove the stain and non of them even starts to remove it.
The hair bleach is the only thing.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:14 AM   #9
delrob
Established Member

M.O.C. #4322
I think this is a flaw in the making of the sink, But can't get the co. to stand behind it. They disagre with me. Does any one have any suggestions as how I can get them to understand I didn't stain this with anything I have put in it. We bought the trailer in Oct. 2005 and the stain appeared in Nov. 2005. I notified the place where we bought it. Than taken it in to them in April 2005. This is when the co. refused to replace it.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Delrob, what's your dealer say (not Montana/Keystone)?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
Thank you for posting those cleaning instructions, I printed them and will add them to the Monty this spring. I had found that using dawn dish soap to clean the counters has worked well for me. Never did think of soft scrub, will have to add that to the cleaning tub this spring as well. Thanks again Sue.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:33 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
It seems to me that you must have gotten some contaminant in your sink material from the factory. I would definitely try to go up the ladder at Keystone and see if you can get a more satisfactory solution. There are some people in the Keystone system who are not very customer friendly. If you can get around them, you might get a better answer to your problem.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #13
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
We have dark stains which come from the minerals in the water in this RV Park and I tried that Mr Clean Magic eraser. WOw it's just like new. Works for me..
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote