Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Ok what am I going to need for my 5er

I have not had a 5th wheel trailer before just my two tow behinds. What will I need in the way of blocks, etc. to make life easiest when we get to our campsite? Blocks types, sizes and applications. I am going to be installing JT Strong Arm Stabilizers with the elephant pads on my BS. It has electric jacks in the front and an electric stabilizer jack in the rear. The JT's will of course be attached fore and aft. For the front jacks what size blocks do you normally carry.
Any other can't live without thoughts apprciated.
Thanks
Bob

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I carry some 2x6 boards for leveling side to side and I also have some various shim sticks for the front landing pads. The shims are plywood and vary from 3/4 to 1/8 in thick. I also like the orange plastic blocks from Wal Mart.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Bob, if you are going to get the JTs find a steel supplier and buy a 71 inch piece of 2x3 box (1/8 inch wall) also buy a 3/8 18 tap. I think that is the size, check the instruction sheet for the exact size. Another thing you will want is a step drill, it makes everything go faster and neater. Here are some of the pics of my install. When you hang the box on the rear set it about an inch behind the c-channel for the rear jacks as per the pics.

when you go to install the front jacks check if the pins on the landing gear are pointing for and aft or left and right. The instructions for the JTs show the install for the pins right and left. If yours are for and aft just put the pivot 90 degrees off. here are the pics of the front install.

I think this should cover most of this install. You might want to buy a half dozen extra bolts, nuts and washers, I thing they are schedule 8. Use the extra bolts where ever you can get a hand inside the skirting to hold the nuts. that should be the right rear as there is a large opening there and maybe the left. Also the front sides, right and left, if you can reach the holes through the holes around the landing gear. Hope this helps... Dave P.S. more pictures here
http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...er/Rig%20Mods/
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote