Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2007, 05:12 AM   #1
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Fantastic Fan

Hope there is someone out there (as there seems to always be) that has or is experiencing this. Each time we set up and activate the Fantastic Fan it tries to open and then it closes right away. I have to climb up onto the counter and reach up and manually raise the cover. It is really stuck to the unit. It then operates fine each time after that until we have set up once again. Is there something I can put between the seal and the cover that will allow the cover to open. I am thinking silicone but just wanted an "OK" to put that up there!

JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:30 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
This is not uncommon, a call to Fantasic Fan will usually result in a cure. They suggest 303 as a rubber lubricant/preservative, and will probably send you a sample pack, maybe even a new gasket.

In our own case, the problem was a little different. The sealant around the FF had been applied a little too liberally which caused the lip of the FF lid to dig into the sealant and get stuck to it. Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to dig away some of the excess sealant, or just cover it with duct tape to stop the lid sticking to it.

Good luck, it should not be a difficult thing to fix.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
racer
Established Member

M.O.C. #3427
i don:nt have probaland getting it open but fan won't start? have turn nob up down but did't go help racer
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
I knew someone would know the fix. Thanks alot and see ya down the road!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Our FF quit working correctly. One day it simply would not stop trying to close. The only way to get it to stop was to remove the fuse. Called FF and they are shipping me a new unit. No questions no hassle. Just good service. Wow! Now that is the way to do business.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
We have the same problem with our fantastic fan. It sticks like crazy. Most times it won't even open manually. My husband has to climb up on the roof of the unit and pry the lid open. Then it seems to work ok for a day or two. We are presently awaiting our new 3400RL and are hoping the fantastic fan works better in this unit. If not, we may have to try the duct tape trick.
Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 AM   #7
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
When we were down in Destin the FF wouldn`t work. I checked everything, fuses etc... I went up on the roof and disconnected the ground on the FF cleaned the connections and buda bing buda boom we were back in business. The FF lid was sticking once in a while and I now give it a shot of WD-40 when I`m up there cleaning or brooming the roof and slides before we leave the campground.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855

Silicone lube will not hurt the rubber gasket, and it will not stick again once the silicone lube is applied. Try to get the kind in a tube, maybe from a health supply house. that's whre I got mine, small tube, same thing they use to lube heart lung pump tubes.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
I called Fantastic Vent today and was told they have to replace the seal. I gave them my address and they will have that replacement part and complete instructions in the mail today. Wow you are right, great service and pleasant people too!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racer

i don:nt have probaland getting it open but fan won't start? have turn nob up down but did't go help racer
There is a pin switch on top of the fan that can stick and not let the fan turn on when the cover is opened. You have to go on the roof to push the button a few times and maybe spray some electrical contact cleaner or WD-40 on it.